how to find out the stall of a converter??????????????pic included

-

340plot

the bushy bush
Reaction score
i pulled the engine and trans out of the dart, and the converter has a tiny center, and the starter ring gear is way away from it, so i think it is a high stall... any help

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 281
  • 015.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 279
the converter itself is 10" why? lol

so 10" its like anywhere from 2500 to 3500 stall depending on the actual converter and engine output

also its a neutral balance , no weights, for internal balance motor

There's only one way to determine stall speed. Because there are so many variables involved, live and in the car is the only way. Mopar actually has a procedure and here it is. With the car up to operating temp, place the car in drive. With your foot firmly on the brakes, flash the to the floor and note where the RPM stops ascending. That is your stall speed. Some people say do this in high gear. Not only does that not work correctly, but you have to have a manual valve body. Since the car launches in low gear, using it is the correct way. Obviously, you don't have it in a car, so all I can do is give you a shot in the dark. That converter body is tiny. I would estimate at least a 4K flash in a torquey engine. Possibly more. But, you never know. Might be a lot more might be a lot less. Because of the different methods of building torque converters, it's impossible to tell without it in the car.

Be careful about lumping all converters together by a particular size. One company's 10" might go 3K and another might go 5K. Especially with the 10" diameter converters. Those are one of the widest ranged size converters there is. You can find them as low as 2500 and as high as 5500. There's only one way to know for sure. See above.

so , my stock engined car...... if i put this built tranny in my car, would it still be ok to drive on the street with this converter?

I would take it to a tranny shop,to have checked out.I know from my experience building my engine/car we had ordered the torque converter(4500 stall)to match my camshaft and gear ratio/tire size.Hope this helps.

Oh by the way,mine is a 8 inch Coan 4500 stall,yours looks similar in size.
View attachment car pics 66 Dart 142.jpg

There's only one way to determine stall speed. Because there are so many variables involved, live and in the car is the only way. Mopar actually has a procedure and here it is. With the car up to operating temp, place the car in drive. With your foot firmly on the brakes, flash the to the floor and note where the RPM stops ascending. That is your stall speed. Some people say do this in high gear. Not only does that not work correctly, but you have to have a manual valve body. Since the car launches in low gear, using it is the correct way. Obviously, you don't have it in a car, so all I can do is give you a shot in the dark. That converter body is tiny. I would estimate at least a 4K flash in a torquey engine. Possibly more. But, you never know. Might be a lot more might be a lot less. Because of the different methods of building torque converters, it's impossible to tell without it in the car.

i know that converters are very broad range of flash points do to lts of different variables but i was trying to give an estimate. that was the reason i asked the diameter to see what he had... just trying to help...

i know that converters are very broad range of flash points do to lts of different variables but i was trying to give an estimate. that was the reason i asked the diameter to see what he had... just trying to help...

I'm sorry if that came out contrary. I didn't mean it like that. I simply used 10" as a general reference....since it was already used. I just meant ANY diameter converter. Sorry bout that.

yea, i have a appointment with my trans shop in the morning. i am going to take him the trans too, just to get a clean bill of health

I'm sorry if that came out contrary. I didn't mean it like that. I simply used 10" as a general reference....since it was already used. I just meant ANY diameter converter. Sorry bout that.

np! thats why i went wide on the stall rating, so many unknowns!!!!

Look on both side for a stamped marking...

most companies will stamp their part number and serial number/model on the converter

a lot of room for error. the same converter will stall 500 rpm different between a 450 and 600 horse motor

-
Back