How To Fix Leaking Wiper Pivot Seals

-
I just did my wiper seals and used this post for reference, thanks very much. but... Mine didn't go as easy. I had my heater box out because im replacing the leaky heater core as well. So the passenger side was quite easy to get to. the driver side was a bit harder without taking intrument cluster or pedals out. But I ended up getting it done, the only thing is the foam donut got ripped in half and ruined putting it through the cowl. I haven't tested it for leaks without it yet but have a feeling its still going to leak without that damn donut. or is the gasket around the bolts the main seal, and the donut is more for backup?

The large seal prevents water running down the shaft. The other seals are housing to car body.

The best way to clean out the debris in the cowl

Tools needed:

Goggles
Long pants
2 gallons of gasoline
1 open road

Instructions:
Put on the goggles and long pants
open the fresh air vents and windows
Drive fast
alternate opening and closing the vents while driving. The air pressure build up will clear more debris.
Vacuum the car when you get home.

The best way to clean out the debris in the cowl

Tools needed:

Goggles
Long pants
2 gallons of gasoline
1 open road

Instructions:
Put on the goggles and long pants
open the fresh air vents and windows
Drive fast
alternate opening and closing the vents while driving. The air pressure build up will clear more debris.
Vacuum the car when you get home.

Sounds messy! And what or who is DMT? Nice clear pics and imformative thread. Well done!

I'm going to add a little something to the info in this thread. The 2 bronze bushings in the wiper pivots are worn at and angle due to the to the one sided force of the pivot shaft. So... before removing the wiper pivots from the cowl, mark the bottom of each pivot housing. When reinstalling, rotate the housing so your mark is located at the top. This puts the shaft and force loads against sides of the bushings that have seen very little wear. Result is smoother quieter wiper movement.

Great post, guys. Probably explains why when I wash the Dart the passenger floor gets wet inside, despite good door seals.

(Added thought: should have said both the driver and passenger side floor areas...)

Great post, guys. Probably explains why when I wash the Dart the passenger floor gets wet inside, despite good door seals.
Not exactly. If the wiper seals leak the water should appear on both sides.
Here I go...
The vent boxes have 2 totally different seal designs . While the drivers side vent box is mated to the cowl with a solid seal cut from sheet material, the passengers side vent box uses a 3/4 inch square foam formed in a circle. Basically a much larger and broken do-nut. You could remove the glove box and inspect what is visible. The forward most side of that do-nut will cook, curl up like a snake, and let the outdoors in. It can even wick water into the cabin.
Yes Detroit Muscle Technologies offers both left and right seals. I have to recommend acquiring the seal(s) before even dropping the glove box.
Wait I aint through...
The foam seal for the left side box will have a peel-n-stick adhesive on the vent box side. It is worthless too. Even if you clean the surface and prep with alcohol, still inadequate.
It will peel off the foam material about as easily as its paper backing peels off . LOL
Since the right vent box seal doesn't include any adhesive, get some 3M weatherstrip adhesive ( traditional yellow or black ) , Clean all mating surfaces and bond the seal(s) in place.
Happy moparing

I just did my wiper seals and used this post for reference, thanks very much. but... Mine didn't go as easy. I had my heater box out because im replacing the leaky heater core as well. So the passenger side was quite easy to get to. the driver side was a bit harder without taking intrument cluster or pedals out. But I ended up getting it done, the only thing is the foam donut got ripped in half and ruined putting it through the cowl. I haven't tested it for leaks without it yet but have a feeling its still going to leak without that damn donut. or is the gasket around the bolts the main seal, and the donut is more for backup?

Yep, you're screwed. As said, that ripped one is the main seal to prevent leaking down along the wiper shaft. Maybe you can contact Schumacher and plead your case to have them send you just another seal. Careful next time....

Jerry

Thanks for the kind remarks. We had fun putting this information together.

I wish I had the authority, and resources, for a incentive program for rewarding posts such as this. This is the stuff we need EVERYONE to contribute.

Thanks again Jerry.
trink39.gif

Maybe not an incentive, but a sticky in the "Body,Interior,Trim" Section would be an EXCELLENT PLACE for this thread. Mods, can ya make it happen? :toothy10:

Great write. I need to replace my ceramic bushings on the pivot arm. Both shattered last night. Are they a press fit and what holds the bushings to the shaft on the wiper arm?

Thanks

I did this on my 65 Dart. DMT kit off ebay ~$15 I recall. Definitely install the grease fitting and grease. That is the only thing that keeps water from running down thru the inner shaft, plus makes the pivots last.

The pivots and linkages were marked L & R in my Dart, but I still managed to re-assemble it wrong (w/ linkage bar rear instead of fwd of pivots, so was hitting the cowl lip). Anything one can assemble wrong, will be. I don't recall any plastic in my linkage, just brass and felt washers which I lubed. As time goes on they always find ways to lower cost at the expense of reliability.

IF you are putting a cage in the car with a tube tucked behind the dash make sure to replace these gaskets first.....don't ask how I know this......

I try to keep my cowling cleaned out but stuff makes it's way in there. My daughter's boyfriend was riding beside me and she was in the backseat. I told him to open the vent if he was hot. What he got was a face full of little oak leaves and all over his white shirt. Yeah, date my daughter...I'll get my joy however I can.

anyone have a pic of where the cowls drain???? Is it at the bottom of the front fender or where the hood springs are???? Thanks Steve

anyone have a pic of where the cowls drain???? Is it at the bottom of the front fender or where the hood springs are???? Thanks Steve

Those holes right to the left of the hinge. Also to answer the question I asked and for others. The bushings for the pivot are dorman 49440

Wiper Pivot Seal Kit 48-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Even with my heater box out the leaves are hard to get out of the cowl.
The cowl is sealed up and my arms aren't that long for the drivers side.
So I used a hole saw and put like a 1 inch hole in the fire wall and blew compressed air around in there to get the leaves out.
Then just put a body plug in the hole(s).
Looks like it belongs there.

I didn't know about the grease fitting kit. Good deal.
I have used flush needle grease fittings in my pivot arms and "Micro-Mesh" rubber sanding blocks are just the thing to make your own seals.
Won't say were I got the grease fittings or the Micro-Mesh foam blocks.:yawinkle:
(Jump over to the current thread about fixing aircraft and ask an aircraft mechanic about that stuff).

HaHaHa tell me about it. i work on aircraft myself

-
Back