How to get fuel gauge wire installed, 65 Cuda

-

jdhasa65cuda

Reaction score
I am installing a new rear wiring harness on my 65 cuda. Cant see how to thread the new end of the harness fuel gauge wire to the tank. Any help would be awsome!

yes, i cannot seem to see a way to get the new wire to the spot where it comes out of the body and attaches to the tank. I see where it goes to after it spilts off the main harness in the trunk area and when i slide underneath the car can see where it comes out. Im wondering if i could use the old wire to pull new one through?

In 67 or later that wire is exposed under the trunk mat just above the rear axle and drops through a rubber grommet at about the center of the right rear axle.
I dont know if the early A is a lot different so this is really just a clue for where to look.

yes, i cannot seem to see a way to get the new wire to the spot where it comes out of the body and attaches to the tank. I see where it goes to after it spilts off the main harness in the trunk area and when i slide underneath the car can see where it comes out. Im wondering if i could use the old wire to pull new one through?
You can try that but I've never had any luck doing it. I've always had to pull that false floor to get it through there. There's a couple of right angle bends and it's got to go underneath some tar paper and across from the right rear to the left rear. Wouldn't hurt to try but don't get your hopes up!

Its a bear to get up but there are 5 or 6 screws in the front of it behind the rear passenger seat and then the trunk separator is removed and there are a few screws there. Then you have to remove the stainless trim on top of it.

Yeah, there are a bunch of phillips head screws holding down all the trim and false floor. You may be able to just remove the sides and rear and get enough room to lift the floor a bit to route the wiring but the filler neck might get in the way. If not you'll have to pull the rear seat to get to the front screws. A good time to replace the carpet if it needs it.

-
Back