how to get power from a 318

-
"Hey GreazerLou" Yea i have seen that one,They have Brought out a Sequel called "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted" Also a Good Movie,Also Another Recent one is "Worlds Fastest Indian" Starring Anthony Hopkins,A real Hard Case Movie About a Local, Building the Worlds Fastest Indian Motor Bike! Although Not Much Indian Left By the Time He Finished with it "But Super Fast"Anyway Ive Looked into That one,Using a 360 crank But I didnt Know that Mopar Performance did them in 318 Jornal sizes Thats Good!!"The Means when I come to do the Other Engine which is a Poly 318 hmmmm Poly 350 cubes Sounds GOOOOOOD.. :thumblef:

YEP, definitely check into that bro. If not too many people have heard about that stroker crank youd probably make a small fortune building/selling killer 318 strokers!

a set of x heads,508 mp cam,punch it out .020,750 dblpb,10.5 pist,4.30,mp dist....i ran 12.90 all day with mufflers and hoosiers for 5 years...i leaned out a pist...but it was very reliable every day car....69 dart(340)

I got a 318 stroker: 370 hp- 400 ft/lbs and theres a potential for more
About 9.5:1 comp, 360 heads ported to 2.02's, comp XS274S extreme solid cam, knock off air gap, I just turned down a 360 shaft.

DSCN0311_edited.JPG

"Of Course I Forgot,"Man Ive Been Around Mopars So Long, How Could I Forget that one! Turn Down a Spuned 360 Crank! & Reuse it in a 318 Stroker Rebalanced of course, ](*,) "But I Might as will used a 360 Anyway if i was to go that Route! Yes for a Poly maybe But were Talking LA 318 Here & to Me 360s Down this way arnt that common So I wouldnt waste A Good 360 just to use its Crank in a 318 as Ive got one 360 Left & nine 318s at My Disposal."To Me a 318 has to have Potential as All they are to me is 340s with a Smaller Bore & Heads if you were to bore them .030" to .060" & Put a set off 360 Heads on & Up the Comp ratio & a Cam They will Sing!Just my Thoughts,"But Hey you Guys Have been Great" & I love that Engine in your pic Mr Speeddemon! :thumblef: "Same Question was Asked of Herb McCandless Junior as to Why He Run A 318,"His Reply "Why Not" The Cores Are Plentiful & No ones Really Chased one of these Motors Hard Enough! I Like the Challenge! This is Going Back some 10 years Ago & He was Doing 11s in the Quater then Who Knows what he Ended up Doing??But I Notice through all These Threads Concerning This Type of Build that Comp Cams are Used Quite a Bit are they just Cheap or Good or Really suit the Chrysler size Lifter,I Notice that the Comp Cams XS274S Has Come up very Often (Solid) also the XE268H,XE274S "But I was Looking at the XS268S (solid) Dur @ .050 230 ,Int 0.488,Ex 0.501 Lob Sep 110"Degrees Would this cam Be Good with 360 J Heads Ported & Fitted with 2.02 Int Valves Comp Ratio 10.5:1?"Also Looked at a Hughes Solid HTL3742AS Dur @ .050 Int 237",Ex 242" Lift Int 0.534, Ex 0.543, Lobe Sep 107" Are there Others I should Look at?& Whats your Thoughts?? "Thanks All" :thumblef:

"Use what you have" thats kind of the idea behind my stroker- I already had a set of destroked 318 pistons I was stuck with- so it was either build a blower 318 or a stroker. So I went the cheap route as a kind of experiment to see how much power I could get out of it on how little money- I feel pretty good considering I have a total of less than $1000 in it! (Its not fair though since I work at a machine shop and did all the work on my free time)
As for the comp cams- I've been noticing that too, they are getting to be popular, basicly because they're awesome! Not only in Mopars but everything- I've built Fords and Chubbies with them and they pull like crazy! The price is about normal for a decent cam- not overly expensive, but worth every dime. I have the smallest Xtreme Energy Hydraulic in my basicly stock Swinger (318- #302 heads, performer intake) and the first time out I kept shift for shift with a blown SB Elcamino- like full race stuff. I didn't beat him but he didn't beat me either. Try an Xtreme Energy and you'll never try another one. :thumblef:

"That Sounds Kooool Speeddemon" Thats the Other thing what year did the 302 Seriel Head Come Out as out of my Sets ive only got 675s & 587,915s But i have No 302s are they from a Later 318 with swirl port Design??As Over Here We had the 318,340,360s But they Pretty much Finish up in 1981 & Just used up the Last core V8s that were Probadly manufactured Back in 1973?? :)

I'm pretty sure they came out in 85'- thats what all my books say and I just rebuilt an 85 318 out of a Gran Fury and it had 302's/roller cam

Yep your right 85-91, sorry for misinforming. My mind has been on this 88 model car all day.

BJR Racing

Hey scampgt440 I have a 73 Dart Swinger that when I bought had a hopped up 318 nothing too drastic, it still has the stock heads but with a nice port job done, a big cam, bored .060 over, 10.5 to 1 compression ratio, and a 600cfm edelbrock carb. My biggest concern for you is what size rear end do you have? mine had the stock 7 1/4 in. with 2.76 gears, and let me tell you what happend I was sitting at a stop light stalling up the converter and when the light went green i hammered the gas and let off the brake and the rear end went CAAABOOOOOM!!!!! I recommend if it doesnt already have an 8 3/4 to put one in if you are planning on souping up that 318.
-Justin

"Sorry ScampGT440 for Hijacking your Thread" I Just thought there was No point in starting Another Thread with the Same Questions? "As This one Has Helped Us Both I Hope & Maybe Others as Well.. :thumblef:

-
Back