How to get the motor from the floor up onto the stand

-

DusterDaddy

sledgehammer mechanic
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I wrestled the 800+ pound LA 360 from a trailer onto my garage floor with the help of my son. It's resting on an old tire and I need to get it up onto an engine stand.
If need be I can use a come along and rig a forged eyebolt thru a girder to lift it so I can bolt it onto the stand.
Trying to avoid renting a hoist if I can.
Anyone have any other slick methods to accomplish this task?

Buy/borrow a hoist they are cheap at northern tool/harbor freight. How do you plan on putting it in the car when the time comes? I bought one many years ago on sale at harbor freight 125.00$ [came with an engine balencer thing] used it twice since 2006 but glad i have it.

i just muscle them up myself and they are a little under 500 pounds because i cant lift more than 500

Im going to bust a hole in the concrete floor, dig out the dirt, toss the stand in there then bolt it up.
Yeah, that'll work.........

Go to the local biker bar and rent a couple gorilla's. Don't call them gorillas though they might take exception. :p I rent a lift from a tool and machinery rental shop in town.

Im going to bust a hole in the concrete floor, dig out the dirt, toss the stand in there then bolt it up.
Yeah, that'll work.........

what the heck does this comment mean? maybe i am retarted today!

you could stand the engine on its end with flywheel pointing up. then bolt on your engine stand then maybe tip it up with some leverage. just be really careful and don't rush it. Don't put you or yourself in a situation where the engine could fall on top of you. good luck.

Go to harbor freight and spend 129 bucks on an engine hoist and do it safely. I have never understood why in the world people get involved in this hobby and want to risk getting hurt by being cheap. That's just stupid.

Call Chuck Norris

LOL, He doesn't want to kick the crap out of it, just lift it.:poke:

If Steve can't throw a punch at something, he's not happy :-D

I like the "disassemble on the ground idea. Heads, intake, starter, waterpump,...there goes enough weight to wrastle it up.

LOL, He doesn't want to kick the crap out of it, just lift it.:poke:

If Steve can't throw a punch at something, he's not happy :-D

I like the "disassemble on the ground idea. Heads, intake, starter, waterpump,...there goes enough weight to wrastle it up.

LOL, after wrassling with it he'll wanna kick the crap outta it. I wrassled a few 727's but never a complete engine. Intake/heads off then a chain and a couple buddies with an iron bar. Save yourself the back problems later.

well, this won't get it up off the ground, but by sliding the plate off the engine stand and bolting it onto the engine then sliding the plate engine and all into the engine stand does make it easier.....when using a hoist anyway. As for getting it up off the ground, a come along would work well if you have something stable above the motor to hook it to

Go to the local biker bar and rent a couple gorilla's. Don't call them gorillas though they might take exception. :p I rent one from a tool and machinery rental shop in town.
You rent a gorilla from a tool & machinery rental shop in town?? Where in the hell do you live at again????

Go to harbor freight and spend 129 bucks on an engine hoist and do it safely. I have never understood why in the world people get involved in this hobby and want to risk getting hurt by being cheap. That's just stupid.
I agree...best $120.00 you will spend. You can sell it later rather than you estate sell off you car. SAFETY FIRST!

i got a 4000 pound hoist off craigslist for 75 bucks, best 75 i ever spent. all i can say is HHHHEEEEAAAAVVVVEEEE .....and watch your toes

Take this advice from someone (me) who's had not one, but two back surgeries at L4-L5. Don't take the chance F'ing up your back.

Buy or rent a hoist, period.

If you buy a hoist from harbor freight don't get the one ton, it can't be used to put an engine in a car cause the reach is two short. The two tons go on sale all the time for cheap.

You do realize the irony of this statement recommending the 129. harbor freight model.lol

go up in your attic locate some of the beams in the garage cieling hopefully they are 2x8 or larger. take a pc of 2x3 steel tubing and place acroos several of the beams, cut a hole big enough to pass a chain thru the sheet rock if needed and hang the 1-1/2 to 2 ton chain hoist or just a regular come along from it and lift the engine. I did this sevral times with a complete 440 with trans attached to it.

Look, you're gonna need a hoist to get it in the car anyway.......................................

-
Back