how to hook up an engine

-

mopardart72

I'm a pretty big deal
Reaction score
since my dad wont help me you guys care to share how i do this? i bought my starter today. what wires go to where. whats the best gauge whire to run from the starter etc

Always glad to help, but you might want to give a little more detail. ????

I have noticed you have been posting alot of threads lately and in most of them you seem to be a little out there and unsure/unclear of what it is exactly you are doing.

and from what i gather from all of your threads.....this is all new to you and you are learning as you go?

which do not get me wrong....its a good thing!.

glad to see you want to tackle things yourself.

but alot I have seen you talk about is some pretty advanced stuff that a newbie should not be trying to tackle until some experience has been tucked under the belt.

anyhow, about the engine.

alot of it you are going to need hands on help with so even with as much as we can all tell you....you will still benefit from a buddy being there to help you that may know a thing or two.

If you want to install an engine in a car....for someone who know what they are doing it can be a fairly simple process....I installed my engine in my duster in 10 minutes (not including hooking up connections and tranny and so on) thats just lowering the engine in the chassis and mounting it down.

we can all help answer whatever questions you may have but I suggest getting some buddies to help and writing down a list of realistic priorities on the project and tackling them step by step. A project is not as overwhelming when you break it down in to smaller projects because you can gain a larger sense of accomplishment with each area you can cross of the list, where as if you think of it as one giant project it feels like its a never ending process.

Not trying to discourage you... Just trying to give you a bit of advice is all.

GOOD LUCK:cheers:

yea i need to know which lines go where like where all the wires go to i have the motor mounted and read to go all new MMS and tranny mount i did all that myself with a cherry picker

I have noticed you have been posting alot of threads lately and in most of them you seem to be a little out there and unsure/unclear of what it is exactly you are doing.

and from what i gather from all of your threads.....this is all new to you and you are learning as you go?

which do not get me wrong....its a good thing!.

glad to see you want to tackle things yourself.

but alot I have seen you talk about is some pretty advanced stuff that a newbie should not be trying to tackle until some experience has been tucked under the belt.

anyhow, about the engine.

alot of it you are going to need hands on help with so even with as much as we can all tell you....you will still benefit from a buddy being there to help you that may know a thing or two.

If you want to install an engine in a car....for someone who know what they are doing it can be a fairly simple process....I installed my engine in my duster in 10 minutes (not including hooking up connections and tranny and so on) thats just lowering the engine in the chassis and mounting it down.

we can all help answer whatever questions you may have but I suggest getting some buddies to help and writing down a list of realistic priorities on the project and tackling them step by step. A project is not as overwhelming when you break it down in to smaller projects because you can gain a larger sense of accomplishment with each area you can cross of the list, where as if you think of it as one giant project it feels like its a never ending process.

Not trying to discourage you... Just trying to give you a bit of advice is all.

GOOD LUCK:cheers:

duster you are right my dad has a 440 race motor dart and he never wants to help me with my car only wants to work on his. its been that way since i was 12 when i first got it. so ive been doing everything myself because it wont get done unless i do it. ive done everything this weekend im going to tackle the 7 1/4 to 8 3/4 issue by swapping rear ends an/d possibly replacing the springs. but since the only people i know besides my dad that know so much about a bodies are you guys i tend to want to turn to you guys for help. no buddies of mine are interested in cars. and my girlfriend wants to help

Well I applaud you for wanting to do it yourself!:cheers:
Thats the best way to learn is by hands on.....

There are guys who think they know everything there is to know about working on cars because they learned it in a text book but until you have done the actual work you truley don't get the full impact of what it is to work on cars.

good luck and I am sure all of us will be able to answer your questions

Measure the wires, go buy small braided lengths, same color from hardware store. And soldering iron, and electronic solder (not acid plumbing solder), and correct size shrink tubing, terminals, etc.
Now, take some extra wire, and learn how to solder; dripping it on is no good; When the wire is hot, and the solder flows into it- good. Takes practice.
Put the wrap on, slide it up out of heat range, on splice, (undo the twists of the wire, push them together, and twist), and terminal (strip wire and crimp in the terminal, and solder that). Remember this- crimping only, won't last. Corrosion;
and always smear di-electric grease on everything. And sand everything before connecting. Practice the soldering first- once you see it flow, you will understand solder.

Can someone post the ignition schmatic? Like for the ignition swap? The more detailed on where it shows the whole system. Mainly, where the wires from the starter go.

I printed it off here last year, evidently, didn't bookmark it, and the computer with the scanner crapped out. It may be on BBD, or mofarts.

yea i need to know which lines go where like where all the wires go to i have the motor mounted and read to go all new MMS and tranny mount i did all that myself with a cherry picker
i read one of your other threads in which you mentioned you blew up your engine.so im guessing you pulled it out and are putting in a rebuilt one.its not a bad idea when you take things apart to label what goes where.are the factory starter wires missing or in bad condition?id get yourself a haynes repair manual from the parts store.i think it will help answer alot of your questions.

It would certainley help us answer your questions if you were a bit more specific on what you are doing and what you are trying to hook up! As mentioned above, it's always a good idea to mark wires when you disconnect them so putting it back together is easy. Another good idea is if you have a camera, take lots of pictures to help in putting it back together!

OK i took out my /6 motor and i dropped in a 318 small block, i need to know where the wires hook up from my alternator, fuel lines, vacuum lines, starter lines etc all to where it hooks up so i can start the motor this is what i want to know

the /6 wasn't hooked up i unbolted it took it out dropped the new K frame put the 318 in and let it set im going to try and hook some wires up this weekend i also need to i
know which spark plug wires go to where

well i have 2 big rolls of 12G wire red and black can i use this for the starter wires? and a few pieces of 4 gauge wires can i run to the battery?

I guess im stubborn and just want to do everything on my own. so that when its done i know for a fact that i did a good job and im more proud of the car.

Before you spend another dime on your project, Do yourself a favor and get a factory service manual for your car. It will have everything you need to know about and answer most of your questions. Even NASA engineers use manuals because most engineers are anal about documentation.

You can get them on CD and then either print out what section you are working on or as I did, I converted mine to a PDF so I can search the entire document and find what I am looking for.

The best 60.00 bucks you will ever spend on your car!

John B.

I wish I had pics of my engine bay. Maybe if you look through some of the thread for motor pics that would help you a lot. As far as the starter the /6 and v8 connect the same. But again pics are worth more than the words. I am at work now and busy when I get home. But this weekend I should be able to get you a few pics of the starter wiring. PM me your email and I will send as soon as I can.

the /6 wasn't hooked up i unbolted it took it out dropped the new K frame put the 318 in and let it set im going to try and hook some wires up this weekend i also need to i
know which spark plug wires go to where
did you change your tranny as well?the starter bolts on differently on a /6 automatic tranny than a v8.

I applaud you on your attempt to revive your car. Help is a lot close than you think, and I'm not talking just FABO, either. I agree with Fishthatkills.

The factory service manual is available on CD as is the factory parts manual. I've seen them for around $25.00 each on eBay. That's about what I paid for mine. Both are large .pdf files made from hard copies. You can get the latest copy of Adobe Reader here: http://get.adobe.com/reader/
Check to make sure it is compatible with your operating system.

For the LA V8, I recommend this book, How to Rebuild your Small Block Mopar by Taylor, et al / Paperback / Published 1982. The identification and cross-references of what will fit a given application have been priceless to me. You can get this from Amazon.

For the general stuff, I like Hearst Publications Motor Manual. These were published annually. I noted that some years, data was omitted because it was not available in time to meet the press deadline. My practice was to wait a year before buying one, so I could use the 73 manual to work on a 72. You may be able to find one at Half-Price Books or a similar store as well as on-line.

Save yourself the aggravation and avoid Haynes publications. The cover may say "based on an actual overhaul" or words to that effect, but I don't think so. If someone has ever press fit a ball joint into an A-body, let them speak up. (The UBJ screws into the UCA with a special socket and the LBJ bolts onto the spindle.) Some of their "factual data" is also off the mark. The photos are generally good and may be helpful.

Good luck on your restoration.

-
Back