How to identify a non lockup A999 transmission with pics!

-
The '74 regular duty trans I just pulled out of my Duster has the ribs in the case.

Can you repost these pictures differently ? since photobucket is not allowing them to be seen without a paid account.

Dang, apparently I don't have the updated Photobucket app. @rmchrgr , you must store your photos on Photobucket instead of your hard drive?

As of early july 2017, you had to pay to use photobucket to view third party pictures.

Last edited:
Excellent information rmchgr! This helped me tremendously to identify my A999, I wanted to share some pictures and add a little more information to this thread. I have a 1984 AM General FJ8C which used to be a postal delivery vehicle. It has the 4.2L (258) inline six engine mated to A999 transmission.

The part number on the pan rail is PK5995949.

This is a non lockup model as shown by the input shaft:

Upon tear down I verified it has the 5 forward clutches, and stepped sun shell. It also has the 38 / 28 tooth sun gear as fishy68 pointed out! The valve body for me was the problem...

Here is the overall Valve body assembly, you can see there is no hydraulic lockup tube, or solenoid (being this is a non lockup A999)

The lower valve body is part number 4130495

The upper valve body is part number 4202528

I know the vehicle this was in is not an A body, and this post was a few years old, but I hope everyone can look past that for the sake of adding a little more information about the elusive A999 and its applications.

Last edited:
My separator plate has several holes the check balls stick in and even some where they fall through!

Check Ball Locations:

Someone in the past got around this by using a larger check ball, however now I do not have that option! Luckily I found a 727 Valve body for sale on ebay that is on its way. Fingers crossed that I will have this truck back on the road soon! :thumbsup:

Excellent information rmchgr! This helped me tremendously to identify my A999

Cool, glad to hear that it was useful. Funny how stuff like this can drift off into oblivion until one day someone stumbles across it and uses the info in it to their advantage. That right there is Pure Internet Gold.

I know the vehicle this was in is not an A body, and this post was a few years old, but I hope everyone can look past that for the sake of adding a little more information about the elusive A999 and its applications.

The 999 was used in 80s Jeeps for sure but bolting a mail Jeep trans into Jimbob's Duster is not a straightforward proposition. Correct me if I'm wrong but the Jeep 258 specific bell housing is not going to bolt into any V8 A body.

Rebuilding the trans to get the truck running is one thing but building it to run in an Abody street machine is an entirely different idea. To retrofit the Jeep unit into an A Body car, you'd likely wind up just taking all the usable pieces out and installing them into a regular 904 case.

You'd really have to verify if those particular parts match up to the car stuff though, one could very easily run into a situation requiring parts that don't exist. Like I mentioned early in the thread, matching particular parts together to try and build one of these units from scratch or from a non-original application can be tricky and perhaps not even possible without custom machining capability.

? I was told my 1974 plymouth 318 has a 998 not 904 anybody know ? it's all stock never messed with
What kind of car is it? If it's an A body, it's not a 998, it's a garden variety 904. If it's a heavier vehicle it's possible it's a 998 but even then it's not likely. AFAIK, Plymouth didn't make many trucks in 1974 (if any) so that makes the possibility of it being a 998 even less likely.

In any event, the only difference between a 998 and regular 904 is that a 998 has a 4 disc front clutch as opposed to the normal 3 disc in the regular 904 so it's really nothing special anyway. The A999 would have 5 discs.

Like I've posted before, the only way to verify what you have is to open it up. You can check the PK number on the case pan rail is but that still won't tell you what's inside. There's no guarantee that even if the case is marked as an XYZ variant, it may not have the larger front drum. All 904s are externally the same.

Fender tag should tell.
No, it won’t. Build sheet would but not the fender tag. And even then, you’d need to know what the code was.

Trust me, its a 904. And again, even if it was a 998, big deal.

If you want a performance trans, build one. A 998 isn‘t really going to offer a better starting point than any other 904.

No, it won’t. Build sheet would but not the fender tag. And even then, you’d need to know what the code was.

Trust me, its a 904. And again, even if it was a 998, big deal.

If you want a performance trans, build one. A 998 isn‘t really going to offer a better starting point than any other 904.
Okay

its 74 valiant 318 but I'm going to put a warmed up 360 so I want to get the best trany for it
Sorry that your 74 fender tag will not tell you what transmission you have according to rmchrgr. I’ve never worked with a 74 valiant but every other mopar with a fender tag reveals the transmission.

-
Back