How to install glovebox??

-

buffoni88

Reaction score
Just ordered a new one. When I took the old one out, I had to pretty much demolish it because it wouldn't come out easily :wack: Anybody know a good way to install it without tearing it up? 74 duster. Any help appreciated...this little $10 console I got at walmart is starting to annoy me!

I guess you had the paper one and you ordered another paper one to replace it? The new one should come folded. Get it inside the pocket and unfold it into place. The plastic ones are a much better version those years. You can wash them out and they won't crumble like the paper ones do.

The one I ordered is not collapsed, its fully assembled. Didn't know they make plastic ones otherwise I eould have opted for that :(

Hm....I'll try to figure out how to collapse it without smashing it I suppose. Should i take the glove box door off first?

i never had to take the door off. only release the cable so it drops further. the sides of the insert should be obvious as to how it folds up.

Thank you sir! Gotta get this tiny person (my 2 year old daughter) to bed, then I'm out to the garage!

If it is earlier than 68 model the door will need to come off. Then you can collaspe the 2 sides slightly and push it through the opening from right to left diagonally.

after 1973 thet switched to plastic with your duster being a 1974 you should have ordered the plastic one if your going for originality

after 1973 thet switched to plastic with your duster being a 1974 you should have ordered the plastic one if your going for originality

They were plastic? The one that was in it before was cardboard, just like the one I ordered. Hmm...maybe I really don't have a 74! I'm not doubting you, just strange how it was cardboard before. I know the previous owner didn't change it, and I definitely know the original owner didn't change it. :confused:

I just replaced the one in my 67 Dart last week. I wish someone had told me you could fold the sides in. It would have made installation much easier. I was able to get it in without ripping, tearing or wreaking the new one. I just need to get one more screw that I did not know I was missing, otherwise it's in, just need to do some small adjustments to make all the sides sit flush.

Dan in Silicon Valley

Good deal, I'm about to go look at it right now. So how'd you put it in without folding the sides in?

I am wondering where to buy the plastic glovebox thing?
I have the original cardboard on in mine and its all falling apart.
Thanks for the help!

Sorry to threadjack.

They aren't all the same or easily interchanged. The casdboard glove box has nuts attached to the outside. The screws go through clear holes in the dash sheet metal.
The plastic glove box has larger clear holes. The screws attach to small holes in the dash sheet metal. The plastic glove box also has a lip for finish around the outer edge.
Bottom line , It's best to replace with whichever was original.

Where'd you guys get yours? I'm thinking about replacing my 67. I MAY try epoxy paint around the outside to "beef" it

-
Back