How to install this Hemi hood scoop

-

Andre68

Reaction score
How can I install this hemi hood scoop? I bought it off eBay, I was hoping to just bolt it on is it's just I looks but it does not lay flat on the hood.

Any ideas anyone?

Would it look bad if I just said screw it and bolted on with the gaps and all?

Fiberglass hemi scoop on 68 dart

Attachments

• image.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 1,608
Flip the scoop over. There may be some inside mounting tabs glassed in. Mine had it that way,a total of four metal tabs.

How can I install this hemi hood scoop? I bought it off eBay, I was hoping to just bolt it on is it's just I looks but it does not lay flat on the hood.

Any ideas anyone?

Would it look bad if I just said screw it and bolted on with the gaps and all?

Fiberglass hemi scoop on 68 dart

Ither use screws every couple inches or fiberglass it on, at freeway speed or in my case track speed it wants ti rip off even at 30 or 40 mph, If its not on good it will blow right off....Dont ask me how i know.

Attachments

• IMG_1626.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 3,224
I would screw it then glass it. If you only glass it it will eventually crack. Hell it will probably crack even if you screw it but at least it wont rip off at speed.

Don't ask me how I know either....

I have seen that scoop attached with pop rivets or screws around the perimeter and two or three bolts from the top of the opening to the hood to hold it down. The bolts holding down the opening (like below) are a necessity, otherwise I guarantee it will balloon up and pull right off the hood at speed.

mopp_0910_06_z+1972_dodge_dart_swinger+front_view.jpg

It'll definitely catch some air.

Okay sounds good if I glass it, won't I believe there will still be a lift to the borders? I suppose I can cut off the lip but then how do I bolt it downs round the borders?

I have pictures, I will post them soon.... The Hemi braces,needed beyond doubt.

put the scoop where you want it on the hood and mark it completely around the perimeter. on the back you will have to cut the lip out of the middle starting from the center and cut a little at a time until it fits flush on the hood. go get some two part epoxy and glue it on. let it set up for a day. now drill and use 1/4" x 20tpi bolts every two inches. I prefer carriage bolts because they have flat rounded heads and don't show up real bad. you will have to file the bolt hole square to get them to fit as they have a square shank just under the head. to hold the front down you will need two or three (your preference) 3/8" carriage bolts and enough 3/8" aluminum fuel line to cover them. the nuts for all the bolts should be nylocs so they don't come loose.

Thanks bob shlinger! Do u think it will look weird with the back shaved a little?

well I began to do some shaving in the middle on the back, and it still seems to have the same issue. Plus the more I look at it, the more I feel the flanges kinda arch upwards...

I have a potential idea, that I came across online.

sell it and buy a bolt on one from AAR. That one looks pretty thin

I came across these photos while trying to find ways to get this hood scoop on. He seems to have the same scoop as I do.

1- he cut the flanges off.
2-he then glassed in little tabs to put bolts through.

It seems as if hes just gonna lay it on top, bolt it in, and then glass it in to make up the difference in the gaps and to give it a smooth look.

I feel like this might be my easiest option on doing it the right way. I wish I could have bolted it in but its just not laying flat.

What do you guys think of this idea? unless anyone has a better idea. which i hope someone does hahah

Attachments

• cutscoop.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 1,228
  • cuts.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,178
  • scooponhood.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,201
well after doing some research it seems that glassing the scoop to the metal hood wont be the best option but to bondo it in after bolting it down?

Its gonna crank no matter what you use. Cut the flange off and start sanding the bottom till it fits right.

How about what the factory did?
Does anyone know exactly?
Does anyone make a fiberglass hood with this scoop already installed?
I was thinking about building a car like this with the scoop........

the glassed in tabs will not hold, scoop needs to be bolted through fiberglass,
that scoop will grab alot of air when your driving.

The scoop needs to bolt on from the inside. First remove the flange from the outer
perimeter of scoop. Grind the bottom edge till it fits the contour of hood. Set scoop in position on steel hood and trace around with sharpie pen. Cover area of hood that is marked with blue painters tape on both sides of the line 2-3 inches. Lay fiberglass and resin
on taped area a couple layers thick. When cured peel from hood. Lay scoop on new flange you just made and mark shape of scoop. Trim excess from new flange so it fits inside scoop. Tape new flange and scoop together on the outside. Add more glass and resin to
bond the two pieces together on the inside. When cured cut inside of new flange to 1" or so. Drill mounting holes and bolt on. This has worked for me, never cracked, never blew off.
Took an afternoon and a fiberglass repair kit. Lots cheaper and messy than a new hood.
No need to add any metal tabs if you make the flange close to 1/4" thick. I added more thickness to the opening edge also to keep the scoop from flexing at speed.

Does anyone make a fiberglass hood with this scoop already installed?
I was thinking about building a car like this with the scoop........

AAR and Glassteck can both make hood with the scoops pre installed. I had AAR scoop which came with mounting studs already installed. It sat perfectly flat on the hood when installed.

Attachments

• 96.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,072
Thanks for the info, guys.
BTW, i didn't intend to hijack the thread, i thought the O.P. would be interested as well as others.....

-
Back