how to pick a class to race in

-

rod7515

Reaction score
I hope sometime this year to run the car a few times. I will be using racing slicks, automatic, prefer open headers but am being told classes require mufflers. So I was wondering, do different tracks have different classes or are all tracks the same. I havent raced since the early 80's when almost everyone running street cars ran a class called "heavy". I hope to run low 12's or high 11's. I dont think I will go lower than an 11.49 but I did install a 6 pt roll bar. I plan on aftermarket belts so I am waiting to purchase when I am closer to being ready. I have a drive shaft loop and fuel lines will be solid not rubber. Wheel studs are long with open end lug nuts. Valve stems are metal. so I was wondering what class do I run in and what else do I need to make sure is on the car so tech is no problem.
Rod

take a drive out to one of the local tracks and ask question....usually today most classes are divided between electronic and no electronics...or box or no box....box being a delay box...

Sounds like you should be running in the "Pro" class, although it is pretty cut throat! You can enter your car in more than one class if you like, and since you haven't been racing in a while, maybe start off in "Sportsman". You are bracket racing I assume, so you'll be dialing against your time trial times, not heads up against the other racers! Run as many time trials as you can to get the feel for your car, dial away and have some fun!! Geof

Yes, bracket racing shhoukd be good. Looking forward to this hopefully sometime in 2015.
Rod

Bracket rules are up to the track and can vary a lot. Like was said check with your local track to see what you might need to do to the car before you arrive. Good luck, and have fun!

-
Back