How to remove steering wheel in a 72 Dart?

-

lee g

Reaction score
Trying to find out how to remove the cover on a factory steering wheel on my 72 Dart. Can't find any screws to hold the cover on to get to the retaining nut so I can use a puller to remove it. I don't want to destroy the cover and can't seem to find if it just snaps on some how or what

Any chance we can see which wheel it is?

Found it out. Now trying to get the steering coupler at the end of the shaft off. Any suggestions?

If all you want is the steering wheel, don't mess the coupler. Remove the nut behind the steering wheel and use a wheel puller. Most big box parts stores will loan the puller.

The coupler is simple but messy. If you manage to break one of the tangs that hold it together, you now have a greasy mess of spare parts.

Need to remove the coupler because the seal is shot. Going to rebuild it plus I am putting on the pieces to convert it from column to floor shift

Be careful not to let that puller mushroom out the end of the threaded shaft. I spin the nut back on a turn or 2 and do it like that. Protection.

The coupler has a roll pin that has to be knocked out with a punch, then carefully using a pry bar you can seperate it from the steering box.

Ok. Got it all apart today. Had some issues getting the shaft out of the tube. Apparently the shaft is two parts and the tube is two parts. I know for a fact now it breaks down into more pieces than I thought. A lot of rust prevented it from coming out whole. I see where the factory apparently poured melted plastic in holes that line up the two shaft pieces and tube pieces. Well I put them back together with a little force and tried to line it up the same the best I could. I can get the tube portion to move a little if needed but the shaft portion will not budge apart now once I tapped it back together. I will let you all know once I get it painted and all back together

The first thing you should get is a factory service manual.
The steering on a car is nothing you should fool with if you really don't know what you're doing.

Thanks AIV. Also downloaded a manual as well. Rust was a lot of my problems getting stuff apart. Trust me that I don't want to risk the integrity of my steering components. My wife and 4 kids will be frequent passengers. I never thought that the steering shaft and tube would not be one solid piece each much less be connected with plastic pourn in voids. Guess I learn something every day

Thanks AIV. Also downloaded a manual as well. Rust was a lot of my problems getting stuff apart. Trust me that I don't want to risk the integrity of my steering components. My wife and 4 kids will be frequent passengers. I never thought that the steering shaft and tube would not be one solid piece each much less be connected with plastic pourn in voids. Guess I learn something every day

You're welcome Lee.. As I understand it.. What your noticing are the plastic shear pins.. These are in place to facilitate the collapsibility of the column in the event of a front end collision. The idea is to prevent it from Turning into a spear.

Early generation safety measures.

Take care...

That was kinda my thoughts after I thought about it. All I can say is it didn't come apart easy or go back together easy (the two parts that have plastic shear pins. It appears it will work fine with them sheared.

Don't mean to thread jack but what size of screws do you use with the wheel puller to pull the wheel??

So, I'm stuck removing a steering wheel too. '72 Dart as well. I assume the cover (horn button thingy) has to come off first and then it's a nut like every other steering column I've ever dealt with. But how they heck do you get that horn cover off? No nuts for the cover, no obvious clips or anything. No one I know locally knows either.

Any help?

So, I'm stuck removing a steering wheel too. '72 Dart as well. I assume the cover (horn button thingy) has to come off first and then it's a nut like every other steering column I've ever dealt with. But how they heck do you get that horn cover off? No nuts for the cover, no obvious clips or anything. No one I know locally knows either.

Any help?

Not knowing which wheel,, the centre piece either turns couter-clockwise, and comes off,, or otherwise, screws from the underside ..

hope it helps

I attached some pictures of my wheel. I believe it is the original. My guess is the cover snaps on somehow. I can't find any information in my manuals.

Attachments

• 20131027_132421.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 334
  • 20131027_132443.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 315
There are three retaining clips that hold it on. Mine cracked when trying to remove it. To remove the steering wheel I backed the nut off some and used a socket extension to use so I could hit the shaft without damaging the threads. Two licks and it was off. Mine is all apart and slowly working on painting it and reassembly. If you have any questions I will try to help as well. I can especially tell you what not to do LOL.

Where are the clips located? It feels like the cover pivots a bit at the division on each spoke- are they under there?

Removing the wheel is easy enough once that cover is off- but I'd rather not harm the cover if possible.

Thanks for the help.

Yes the are about 3/4 of the way way out on each spoke of the wheel.

-
Back