How To Replace your Lower Column Bearing: Better and Cheaper!!!

-
Interesting read. I have 3 columns (auto floor-shift P/S) from '71 and '72. All 3 have a bushing in there that do not touch the shaft. That bushing clips into the column tube. There are no provisions for installation bolts. I was considering the ER-16, but I don't want to fix what isn't broken. It would appear that Ma Mopar was all over the ice......LOL, not the first time!

View attachment 1715851533

Yup, Ma Mopar was all over the map on this. But here’s the deal. There’s no benefit to the steering shaft being able to do anything other than spin. So putting a bearing at the bottom will hurt absolutely nothing. The set screws won’t change the ability of the steering shaft to collapse in a crash. The upper bearing that goes between the shaft and housing is very thin, so, it will not prevent the bottom of the steering shaft from moving around. And that can cause wear up top. The steering coupler is designed to allow movement, so, that’s not gonna do it either. Putting a bearing at the bottom of the column jacket will keep the steering shaft from moving around, which will make your steering smoother and more accurate. It doesn’t constrain anything that needs to move either.

Can you live without one? Sure, clearly a lot of cars left the factory without a bearing there. But some cars, most of them heavier duty applications, got them. So adding one doesn’t hurt anything either, and it will probably give you a smoother feeling action on your steering wheel. And possibly keep you from working that upper bearing loose in the housing, or peeling that little upper bearing apart. And yes, I have seen the upper bearings worn out and falling apart.

So you can do whatever you like, I wrote this up so people could see a cheaper option than the factory replacement bearing and an upgrade for the cars that didn’t come with them. The ER16 bearings are cheap, you can slide them up into the jacket so they’re not visible, so the only externally visible change is the set screw so it’s a pretty small change if you’re worried about originality.

I buy 67 to 76 cars but at times I buy others and strip them on a monthly basis. I do not have one steering column here with a bearing in it. Why? I recently purchased a 1967 Commando Barracuda floor shift. This car is all original never touched for well over 30 years stored in a truck body. Today I will go look for that famous bearing. I have seen a bearing but I believe it was an early 60's 3 speed standard column shift car. 1962 Dodge
I did a 67 dart column shift car and changed it to a 383. Removed the shift tube and cut the main tube back flush with the firewall for manifold clearance to use 71 HP manifolds and no inner bearing.

Did mopar do strange things and possibly some may have bearings? Yes. But I have none in my large collection of parts and no remnants of any.

The column you have pictured above with the bearing has 4 bolts holding it to the firewall. What is it out of and what year? Not an a-body! Possibly a rubber mount sub frame car or Truck?
Here we go again. Just because you've never seen one, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And why is someone that allegedly knows so much about these cars trying to use a ONE YEAR ONLY, 1970 steering column as an example? Literally every other year was different than '70. And 30 out of hundreds of thousands means exactly squat.

For people that listen to logic, you can go back to the first page of this thread and see this exact same discussion from 9 years ago, read about how floor shift cars with manual steering got bearings that were inserted in a nylon block at the bottom of the column, see the actual part, the part #, all of it. Oh, and column shift cars that also had a shift tube supported by a bearing with a steering shaft that was supported in a nylon bushing. We've been down this road already, sorry you seem to have forgot we already proved you were wrong and have the pictures to show it.

Here's the reproduction factory part, nylon bushing with bearing
View attachment 1715851373
Here's the link to buy one, as well as a list of some of the cars it came on. Not sure why there would be a reproduction of a part that never existed.
Single Part Search Result For bh190

Here's the lower bearing set up on non 1970 column shift cars, bearing between the column shift tube and jacket, then a nylon bushing between the column shift tube and steering shaft.
View attachment 1715851374

And here's the Factory parts manual showing the lower column BEARING. Which is the same one pictured for sale above
View attachment 1715851372

No, not every car had this set up and I never said they did. Some just had the nylon ring with foam, some had a nylon ring that bridged the whole distance ('67, also pictured earlier in this thread). But the factory absolutely used bearings at the lower column support for the heavier duty applications. Kinda like how manual steering boxes for the HD B-bodies had bearings instead of bushings. I haven't seen one of those in person either, but I also know for a fact they exist. Just like the lower column bearing on some years and specific option packages.

And then there's the fact that I've been running the ER-16 lower bearing in my car for almost 9 years now without any problems.
Like I said 3 speed column shift car as shown in your own diagram. Really! is this the best you can do. Find a diagram for a floor shift column 71 - 76 a-body.

Yep, same deal. Some had 2 bolts, some had 3 depending on the year/model etc. There was quite a bit of variation on this particular part. $80 plus $4 shipping. They even have a picture of the nylon insert and bearing as it came from the factory, just in case you've never seen one
View attachment 1715851497

Or if you're not worried about it looking fully original, or if you just had a one with a silly foam insert, you can replace it with an $8.24 ER16 bearing that will work just as well or better. Hence the entire thread.
View attachment 1715851498

SER205-16 1" ER16 Insert Ball Bearing With Snap Ring NEW ER205-16 | eBay

I buy 70 to 76 cars but at times I buy others and strip them on a monthly basis. I do not have one steering column here with a bearing in it. Why? I recently purchased a 1967 Commando Barracuda floor shift. This car is all original never touched for well over 30 years stored in a truck body. Today I will go look for that famous bearing.
I did a 67 dart column shift car and changed it to a 383. Removed the shift tube and cut the main tube back flush with the firewall for manifold clearance to use 71 HP manifolds and no inner bearing.

Did mopar do strange things and possibly some may have bearings? Yes. But I have none in my large collection of parts and no remnants of any.

The column you have pictured above with the bearing has 4 bolts holding it to the firewall. What is it out of? And what year? Not an a-body! Possibly a rubber mount K-member or sub frame car or Truck?

Here we go again. Just because you've never seen one, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And why is someone that allegedly knows so much about these cars trying to use a ONE YEAR ONLY, 1970 steering column as an example? Literally every other year was different than '70. And 30 out of hundreds of thousands means exactly squat.

For people that listen to logic, you can go back to the first page of this thread and see this exact same discussion from 9 years ago, read about how floor shift cars with manual steering got bearings that were inserted in a nylon block at the bottom of the column, see the actual part, the part #, all of it. Oh, and column shift cars that also had a shift tube supported by a bearing with a steering shaft that was supported in a nylon bushing. We've been down this road already, sorry you seem to have forgot we already proved you were wrong and have the pictures to show it.

Here's the reproduction factory part, nylon bushing with bearing
View attachment 1715851373
Here's the link to buy one, as well as a list of some of the cars it came on. Not sure why there would be a reproduction of a part that never existed.
Single Part Search Result For bh190

Here's the lower bearing set up on non 1970 column shift cars, bearing between the column shift tube and jacket, then a nylon bushing between the column shift tube and steering shaft.
View attachment 1715851374

And here's the Factory parts manual showing the lower column BEARING. Which is the same one pictured for sale above
View attachment 1715851372

No, not every car had this set up and I never said they did. Some just had the nylon ring with foam, some had a nylon ring that bridged the whole distance ('67, also pictured earlier in this thread). But the factory absolutely used bearings at the lower column support for the heavier duty applications. Kinda like how manual steering boxes for the HD B-bodies had bearings instead of bushings. I haven't seen one of those in person either, but I also know for a fact they exist. Just like the lower column bearing on some years and specific option packages.

And then there's the fact that I've been running the ER-16 lower bearing in my car for almost 9 years now without any problems.

You can never just give your facts without an attack on those who differ. I always refer back to this "saying" when you attack. From the movie Christine. " You don't know half of what you think you know ( Shitter ) " LMFAO

I owned more cars then you dreamed of. This 58 had a bearing.

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

I buy 67 to 76 cars but at times I buy others and strip them on a monthly basis. I do not have one steering column here with a bearing in it. Why? I recently purchased a 1967 Commando Barracuda floor shift. This car is all original never touched for well over 30 years stored in a truck body. Today I will go look for that famous bearing. I have seen a bearing but I believe it was an early 60's 3 speed standard column shift car. 1962 Dodge

The column you have pictured above with the bearing has 4 bolts holding it to the firewall. What is it out of and what year? Not an a-body! Possibly a rubber mount sub frame car or Truck?

Like I said 3 speed column shift car as shown in your own diagram. Really! is this the best you can do. Find a diagram for a floor shift column 71 - 76 a-body.

The column in the picture would be from a ‘66-70 B-body, no AC. You can see the 4 bolt foam gasket in these kits.

DMT B Body 1969 69 1970 70 NON AC Firewall Gasket Seal Kit Set Charger GTX | eBay

Mopar B Body 66 67 68 69 70 BASIC NON AC Firewall Gasket Seal Kit Set DMT | eBay

Seems if your knowledge was so extensive you’d know that. You could also have looked it up, after all, the link with that picture lists what cars they’re for.

As far as your collection goes, or what you have and haven’t seen regarding the lower column bearing, it’s completely irrelevant. Clearly they were made. There’s a factory diagram, there’s a factory part number, and there’s even multiple versions of reproduction replacement parts available. The fact that you haven’t personally seen one changes exactly none of that.

You can never just give your facts without an attack on those who differ. I always refer back to this "saying" when you attack. From the movie Christine. " You don't know half of what you think you know ( Shitter ) " LMFAO

I owned more cars then you dreamed of. This 58 had a bearing.

View attachment 1715851696

View attachment 1715851697

View attachment 1715851698

View attachment 1715851700

View attachment 1715851701

Oh please. You were the one that started in with the jabs again. You came after me 9 years ago over the same exact thing, it’s literally on the first page of this thread. You were proven wrong then too, but as usual when you’re shown to be wrong you refuse to admit it and claim you’ve seen everything.

And yet for some reason you want to resurrect this old thread with your same old claims, making jabs at me and others that have done this modification.

Clearly, the person here that doesn’t know half of what they claim to know is you. The reference numbers are in the parts manuals, if you don’t like the picture of the manual I posted I’m sure you’re capable of looking up a better one.

The simple fact is that it’s a good modification regardless, so trying to prove it never came on an A-body is meaningless even if it was true (and it’s not).

The column in the picture would be from a ‘66-70 B-body, no AC. You can see the 4 bolt foam gasket in these kits.

DMT B Body 1969 69 1970 70 NON AC Firewall Gasket Seal Kit Set Charger GTX | eBay

Mopar B Body 66 67 68 69 70 BASIC NON AC Firewall Gasket Seal Kit Set DMT | eBay

Seems if your knowledge was so extensive you’d know that. You could also have looked it up, after all, the link with that picture lists what cars they’re for.

As far as your collection goes, or what you have and haven’t seen regarding the lower column bearing, it’s completely irrelevant. Clearly they were made. There’s a factory diagram, there’s a factory part number, and there’s even multiple versions of reproduction replacement parts available. The fact that you haven’t personally seen one changes exactly none of that.

Oh please. You were the one that started in with the jabs again. You came after me 9 years ago over the same exact thing, it’s literally on the first page of this thread. You were proven wrong then too, but as usual when you’re shown to be wrong you refuse to admit it and claim you’ve seen everything.

And yet for some reason you want to resurrect this old thread with your same old claims, making jabs at me and others that have done this modification.

Clearly, the person here that doesn’t know half of what they claim to know is you. The reference numbers are in the parts manuals, if you don’t like the picture of the manual I posted I’m sure you’re capable of looking up a better one.

The simple fact is that it’s a good modification regardless, so trying to prove it never came on an A-body is meaningless even if it was true (and it’s not).
Your picture of the manual page you posted is of a 3 speed standard shift column. Here it is.
screen-shot-2022-01-11-at-11-16-41-am-png.png

I never came after you with a jab. I never even quoted you or mentioned you. Post #19. But post #20 you quoted me. After just giving my opinion and what I have seen over the years.

Sure I have seen that center bearing in early cars. But it was eliminated in later years. Did you ever wonder why? I would never install one between the collapsible shaft and the collapsible column. it is useless. Waste of time and money unless you have a double joint or rag joint . totally Eliminated in 1970 and newer unibody mopars with no subframe.

This page you posted you grabbed off of the web . As was the video I posted with no bearing. When I get time and go to the shop I'll post a diagram copied from a manual I have here. If you look at the pictures I posted there is no bolts or anyway to fasten a bearing on the later columns. It is just a slip on seal. Its all you need and is the safer method.

DSCN1253.JPG

Your picture of the manual page you posted is of a 3 speed standard shift column. Here it is.View attachment 1715852128

I never came after you with a jab. I never even quoted you or mentioned you. Post #19. But post #20 you quoted me. After just giving my opinion and what I have seen over the years.

Sure I have seen that center bearing in early cars. But it was eliminated in later years. Did you ever wonder why? I would never install one between the collapsible shaft and the collapsible column. it is useless. Waste of time and money unless you have a double joint or rag joint . totally Eliminated in 1970 and newer unibody mopars with no subframe.

This page you posted you grabbed off of the web . As was the video I posted with no bearing. When I get time and go to the shop I'll post a diagram copied from a manual I have here. If you look at the pictures I posted there is no bolts or anyway to fasten a bearing on the later columns. It is just a slip on seal. Its all you need and is the safer method.

View attachment 1715852132

Ah, there it is, the change in your tune. So now you've seen lower column bearings huh? Of course, easier to admit that than admit you're wrong. So now you have to say it's not safe, lol.

Yes, most of the later columns had a slip on seal. I never said they didn't. My point was always that some cars came with lower bearings. And in fact, most the cars that came with lower bearings were in fact heavier duty cars. Like, I dunno, 66-70 B bodies like I showed earlier. Why did they get left off of most of the A-bodies? Because the factory was CHEAP, and A-bodies were the economy model. The factory did a lot of stuff different for A-bodies, are you going to argue that the 5x4" pattern was better or stronger? What about 9" brakes, and all the other things the factory cheaped out on for the A-bodies?

Most of the changes that came after '70 were for cost savings. Big blocks went away for the A-bodies. 8 3/4 axles went away too. Were those improvements? No, they were not. But by your reasoning everything the factory did was right, so, I guess A-bodies shouldn't have big blocks?

I also don't know why you think the fact that the picture I showed is for a column shifted manual somehow makes your point. It doesn't, it makes mine. They had a lower bearing and they worked just fine. So did a lot of the column shift auto's, or at least a nylon bushing that supported the lower end of the steering shaft better than the cheap seal used on other cars.

As for your other claims, the set screw on an ER16 bearing will not keep the column from collapsing as intended. The factory used more robust screws to hold the lower bearings in place on the cars that used lower bearings. Heck, the addition of the column shift tube itself makes the whole column and jacket more robust, yet the factory still used a collapsable shaft on those cars. The ER16 bearing itself will slide further into the column jacket with an impact too. It's not unsafe. And if you really want to get into it, my car uses a section of collapsable shaft below that ER16 bearing, because it isn't stock.

Useless? Again, not at all true. The lower seal on the later cars allows the steering shaft to move around in the column jacket. There's no reason for it to do this, and in moving around like that it puts more stress on the upper bearing and allows for additional play between the steering wheel and the steering box. Adding the lower bearing controls that movement, and creates more a more accurate steering response. How do I know? Well, I've done it that's how. It's better.

So what have we got so far on your claims?
- Lower bearings were in fact used on unibody Mopars and heavier duty applications, as I've shown and you now admit
- A simple set screw will not keep the steering shaft from collapsing. This is not hard to grasp
- The steering is not improved by the steering shaft having play inside the column jacket. It's only purpose is to spin, adding the lower bearing guarantees that's all it does

As always, you don't have to do this modification. I did it on my Duster and my other cars. It is an improvement, it is not unsafe. I just documented what I did, I wasn't even the one that made it a how-to article.

Ah, there it is, the change in your tune. So now you've seen lower column bearings huh? Of course, easier to admit that than admit you're wrong. So now you have to say it's not safe, lol.

Yes, most of the later columns had a slip on seal. I never said they didn't. My point was always that some cars came with lower bearings. And in fact, most the cars that came with lower bearings were in fact heavier duty cars. Like, I dunno, 66-70 B bodies like I showed earlier. Why did they get left off of most of the A-bodies? Because the factory was CHEAP, and A-bodies were the economy model. The factory did a lot of stuff different for A-bodies, are you going to argue that the 5x4" pattern was better or stronger? What about 9" brakes, and all the other things the factory cheaped out on for the A-bodies?

Most of the changes that came after '70 were for cost savings. Big blocks went away for the A-bodies. 8 3/4 axles went away too. Were those improvements? No, they were not. But by your reasoning everything the factory did was right, so, I guess A-bodies shouldn't have big blocks?

I also don't know why you think the fact that the picture I showed is for a column shifted manual somehow makes your point. It doesn't, it makes mine. They had a lower bearing and they worked just fine. So did a lot of the column shift auto's, or at least a nylon bushing that supported the lower end of the steering shaft better than the cheap seal used on other cars.

As for your other claims, the set screw on an ER16 bearing will not keep the column from collapsing as intended. The factory used more robust screws to hold the lower bearings in place on the cars that used lower bearings. Heck, the addition of the column shift tube itself makes the whole column and jacket more robust, yet the factory still used a collapsable shaft on those cars. The ER16 bearing itself will slide further into the column jacket with an impact too. It's not unsafe. And if you really want to get into it, my car uses a section of collapsable shaft below that ER16 bearing, because it isn't stock.

Useless? Again, not at all true. The lower seal on the later cars allows the steering shaft to move around in the column jacket. There's no reason for it to do this, and in moving around like that it puts more stress on the upper bearing and allows for additional play between the steering wheel and the steering box. Adding the lower bearing controls that movement, and creates more a more accurate steering response. How do I know? Well, I've done it that's how. It's better.

So what have we got so far on your claims?
- Lower bearings were in fact used on unibody Mopars and heavier duty applications, as I've shown and you now admit
- A simple set screw will not keep the steering shaft from collapsing. This is not hard to grasp
- The steering is not improved by the steering shaft having play inside the column jacket. It's only purpose is to spin, adding the lower bearing guarantees that's all it does

As always, you don't have to do this modification. I did it on my Duster and my other cars. It is an improvement, it is not unsafe. I just documented what I did, I wasn't even the one that made it a how-to article.

No E-bodies . or 70 up b-bodies or a-bodies had them . I do not have any columns with a bearing all are from 70 -76 cars Mostly A's and E's some B's. I have a lot of columns and sold many to members on this site. Bearings on shift tubes and bearings on 3 speed manual shift columns on the shaft. Early cars had them that I saw on my 56 -65 cars as I stated.

I really don't give a hoot what you added to your car . Your challenger or Dart you have did not come with a lower bearing. If you added it that is just fine and dandy. Put three on I don't care . I only give advise. I am not forcing anyone to use it. I don't ever quote you unless you quote me. You are a real piece of work my friend.

I don't wear a mask, I was not Vaccinated, and I don't put a rubber on my dick. What ever happens don't blame me I voted for Trump. What do you have to say about that.

I don’t know much about most of the mopar world but I do know my stock 67 floor shift power steering car column had a plastic insert with a lower ball bearing and spring with a collar held in place with a set screw. Was all original when I rebuilt my column.

I don’t know much about most of the mopar world but I do know my stock 67 floor shift power steering car column had a plastic insert with a lower ball bearing and spring with a collar held in place with a set screw. Was all original when I rebuilt my column.
67 could have.I have a 67 here I was going to check I didn't get time.

My 67 Dart with a big block and manual steering had the same thing.

Yup, Ma Mopar was all over the map on this. But here’s the deal. There’s no benefit to the steering shaft being able to do anything other than spin. So putting a bearing at the bottom will hurt absolutely nothing. The set screws won’t change the ability of the steering shaft to collapse in a crash. The upper bearing that goes between the shaft and housing is very thin, so, it will not prevent the bottom of the steering shaft from moving around. And that can cause wear up top. The steering coupler is designed to allow movement, so, that’s not gonna do it either. Putting a bearing at the bottom of the column jacket will keep the steering shaft from moving around, which will make your steering smoother and more accurate. It doesn’t constrain anything that needs to move either.

Can you live without one? Sure, clearly a lot of cars left the factory without a bearing there. But some cars, most of them heavier duty applications, got them. So adding one doesn’t hurt anything either, and it will probably give you a smoother feeling action on your steering wheel. And possibly keep you from working that upper bearing loose in the housing, or peeling that little upper bearing apart. And yes, I have seen the upper bearings worn out and falling apart.

So you can do whatever you like, I wrote this up so people could see a cheaper option than the factory replacement bearing and an upgrade for the cars that didn’t come with them. The ER16 bearings are cheap, you can slide them up into the jacket so they’re not visible, so the only externally visible change is the set screw so it’s a pretty small change if you’re worried about originality.
I wanted to thank you for your original write up about the ER-16 bearing. When I bought my car, the original plastic bearing was hanging halfway out of the column. I would push it back in and it would eventually fall out again. When I upgraded to the Borgeson power steering unit, I took the opportunity to have my shop install the ER-16 bearing while the steering column was out. It not only looks a whole lot better, it works like a champ to help the steering shaft rotate smoothly with no wiggle. Thanks again!!

I don't wear a mask, I was not Vaccinated, and I don't put a rubber on my dick. What ever happens don't blame me I voted for Trump. What do you have to say about that.

Haha! Damn right!
I don’t wear seat belts, I don’t cook my meat, I can’t do math, I don’t listen to no fancy doctors and I sure as hell don’t brush my teeth!

High Five, Brother!

Well, I’d say that all of that is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand. Kinda like most of your posts in this thread. But hey, if you can’t support your position with facts, just change the topic and create a distraction right?

My 1968 Barracuda, automatic floor shift car, had been in storage from 1980 to my purchase in 2010 had a lower column bearing as shown in the 1968 FSM and mentioned in this posting. I replaced the factory lower column bearing with one of the ER16 bearing when I rebuilt the steering column in 2016 and it functions fine. I replaced the top column bearing with an aftermarket OE style replacement bearing. I used the ER16 bearing on the bottom as it is much more reasonably priced than the aftermarket OE style bottom bearings that are currently available.

Last edited:
While we are on this has anyone got a listing for the top bearing please as I’ve ordered the lower on eBay once I have the both I will dismantle my column . Has anyone replaced the steering coupler with a uni joint ( not sure of the proper name of it )on a manual steering box ? And if so can you provide part number’s aswell. Cheers

While we are on this has anyone got a listing for the top bearing please as I’ve ordered the lower on eBay once I have the both I will dismantle my column . Has anyone replaced the steering coupler with a uni joint ( not sure of the proper name of it )on a manual steering box ? And if so can you provide part number’s aswell. Cheers
I switched to a U joint from Boregeson when I swapped from manual to power steering. I would contact Boregeson and ask them what size you need but it's probably this one.

Borgeson Universal 012828 Borgeson Universal Steering U-Joints | Summit Racing

Interesting read. I have 3 columns (auto floor-shift P/S) from '71 and '72. All 3 have a bushing in there that do not touch the shaft. That bushing clips into the column tube. There are no provisions for installation bolts. I was considering the ER-16, but I don't want to fix what isn't broken. It would appear that Ma Mopar was all over the ice......LOL, not the first time!

View attachment 1715851533
Looks to me like it only has a clip-in seal like I have. But that can't be can it? I thought they were all bolted in and had bearings.

DSCN1249.JPG

-
Back