How To Replace your Lower Column Bearing: Better and Cheaper!!!

-
It has a rubber sleeve and a set screw collar on the bottom. It fits wonderfully.
What is the part #?

It appears to be RCR-16-75, with an internal bearing #FSA 205-16, but I am unable to locate.
I did find one that appears to be the same, but it has different part #s and not widely available.

Very nice!

Did you have to press that one it too? Looks like it might be an easier fit than the one I used. Pretty cool to keep it stock looking, but that doesn't matter on my '74 with the steering u-joint and telescopic shaft showing already.

Part # or link for that bearing?
will this work on my steering column. I bought the bearing. Where do I cut?

0BD8E496-C752-4602-BE2E-20AF435FB688.jpeg

BF743CD6-A4B8-480A-8A10-398DC1A21849.jpeg

18D16044-8961-4FAF-B1E6-434C25D4F6DD.jpeg

063866FB-97AD-4DD7-8C68-8471D46FAD1B.jpeg

151D8880-A990-4C98-AA91-32824B5A631D.jpeg

443836EA-1468-4E6E-9888-0DAD2E211A1E.jpeg

6B453D7C-66FC-4353-BDA4-3A9B50F98901.jpeg

I would take your column apart and remove the old shifter shaft and get that out of the way. Now you can cut the outer tube close to the firewall and insert your new bearing.

I would take your column apart and remove the old shifter shaft and get that out of the way. Now you can cut the outer tube close to the firewall and insert your new bearing.
The outer tube looks to big. Bigger than the bearing. Is there a video or how to take it apart? The old shifter shaft.

View attachment 1715021188 View attachment 1715021189 The 67s have the 2 1/4" column jacket/exterior tube and if your nylon/plastic bushing is all cracked or broken doing what I did is a consideration. I'm in the process of a column rebuild on my 67 and my nylon bushing was pretty broken up and the bearing was just about totally disintegrated. I cut my bushing down to 1/2" wide and slid it over the shift tube then up inside the column jacket.
Do you have a item number or link on that bushing? I have a 67 dart too.

Does anybody know if this bearing also fits the early A with a three on the tree column? Thank you drive through.

Does anybody know if this bearing also fits the early A with a three on the tree column? Thank you drive through.

I picked up a pretty slick delrin bushing for my 66 Dart from Reilly Motorsports a long time ago. You may want to see if they're still making them. They may have them for standard trans columns (not sure if there's even a difference).

upload_2021-7-4_9-10-48.png

I picked up a pretty slick delrin bushing for my 66 Dart from Reilly Motorsports a long time ago. You may want to see if they're still making them. They may have them for standard trans columns (not sure if there's even a difference).

View attachment 1715760093

I like how that looks. Much more finished. Thanks.

View attachment 1715760093
Do you have more pictures how you did it? The 66 dart column might be different than the 67 column.

Do you have more pictures how you did it? The 66 dart column might be different than the 67 column.

No - sorry. In my 66 column, I did have to modify the shifter tube. I think I just shortened it if I recall. I had to keep it in the column since that's what holds the upper 'sleeve' in place. You just have to disassemble the column and get creative.

I do recall the column in my 68 Dart was a little different. Similar, but different.

Once again the only columns that had bearings were column shift or 1970 with a lock out tube.

Adding a bearing at the bottom on the shaft is not a good idea unless your vehicle came with a rag joint combined with a lower slide joint.

If I was selling this bearing shown on this thread or installed one because I didn't know better . I too would promote them so I didn't feel stupid that I bought one. The top bearing and the bearing in the box is all you need. Putting a third bearing between them will bind the three if column adjustment is needed at the firewall and shimming the column at the attachment will be necessary as they did on the early years.
Before replying watch this rebuild. This is a 70 column with a bearing . But it is only for 70 lock out tube not the steering shaft.
What I have seen on over 30 floor shift columns I have here taken from 70-75 is some remnants of a foam seal. I mimicked it on my column. Note the plastic ring is clipped in place by itself with plastic tangs. I do not have any columns here with a bearing on that ring or a inner race on the shaft. They couldn't all have fell out. LMFAO at some of you

DSCN1244.JPG

DSCN1245.JPG

DSCN1246.JPG

DSCN1247.JPG

DSCN1248.JPG

Once again the only columns that had bearings were column shift or 1970 with a lock out tube.

Adding a bearing at the bottom on the shaft is not a good idea unless your vehicle came with a rag joint combined with a lower slide joint.

If I was selling this bearing shown on this thread or installed one because I didn't know better . I too would promote them so I didn't feel stupid that I bought one. The top bearing and the bearing in the box is all you need. Putting a third bearing between them will bind the three if column adjustment is needed at the firewall and shimming the column at the attachment will be necessary as they did on the early years.
Before replying watch this rebuild. This is a 70 column with a bearing . But it is only for 70 lock out tube not the steering shaft.
What I have seen on over 30 floor shift columns I have here taken from 70-75 is some remnants of a foam seal. I mimicked it on my column. Note the plastic ring is clipped in place by itself with plastic tangs. I do not have any columns here with a bearing on that ring or a inner race on the shaft. They couldn't all have fell out. LMFAO at some of you

View attachment 1715851274

View attachment 1715851275

View attachment 1715851276

View attachment 1715851277

View attachment 1715851278

Here we go again. Just because you've never seen one, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And why is someone that allegedly knows so much about these cars trying to use a ONE YEAR ONLY, 1970 steering column as an example? Literally every other year was different than '70. And 30 out of hundreds of thousands means exactly squat.

For people that listen to logic, you can go back to the first page of this thread and see this exact same discussion from 9 years ago, read about how floor shift cars with manual steering got bearings that were inserted in a nylon block at the bottom of the column, see the actual part, the part #, all of it. Oh, and column shift cars that also had a shift tube supported by a bearing with a steering shaft that was supported in a nylon bushing. We've been down this road already, sorry you seem to have forgot we already proved you were wrong and have the pictures to show it.

Here's the reproduction factory part, nylon bushing with bearing
lower-column-bearing-19-1-jpg.jpg

Here's the link to buy one, as well as a list of some of the cars it came on. Not sure why there would be a reproduction of a part that never existed.
Single Part Search Result For bh190

Here's the lower bearing set up on non 1970 column shift cars, bearing between the column shift tube and jacket, then a nylon bushing between the column shift tube and steering shaft.
lower-column-bearing-21-1-jpg.jpg

And here's the Factory parts manual showing the lower column BEARING. Which is the same one pictured for sale above
Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 11.16.41 AM.png

No, not every car had this set up and I never said they did. Some just had the nylon ring with foam, some had a nylon ring that bridged the whole distance ('67, also pictured earlier in this thread). But the factory absolutely used bearings at the lower column support for the heavier duty applications. Kinda like how manual steering boxes for the HD B-bodies had bearings instead of bushings. I haven't seen one of those in person either, but I also know for a fact they exist. Just like the lower column bearing on some years and specific option packages.

And then there's the fact that I've been running the ER-16 lower bearing in my car for almost 9 years now without any problems.

Last edited:

Yep, same deal. Some had 2 bolts, some had 3 depending on the year/model etc. There was quite a bit of variation on this particular part. $80 plus $4 shipping. They even have a picture of the nylon insert and bearing as it came from the factory, just in case you've never seen one
s-l1600.jpg

Or if you're not worried about it looking fully original, or if you just had a one with a silly foam insert, you can replace it with an $8.24 ER16 bearing that will work just as well or better. Hence the entire thread.
s-l1600 (1).jpg

SER205-16 1" ER16 Insert Ball Bearing With Snap Ring NEW ER205-16 | eBay

Interesting read. I have 3 columns (auto floor-shift P/S) from '71 and '72. All 3 have a bushing in there that do not touch the shaft. That bushing clips into the column tube. There are no provisions for installation bolts. I was considering the ER-16, but I don't want to fix what isn't broken. It would appear that Ma Mopar was all over the ice......LOL, not the first time!

IMG_1812.JPG

-
Back