How to restore an A-body Mopar, what I learned the hard way.

-

flyboy01

Its almost done!
Reaction score
How to restore an A-body Mopar, what I learned the hard way.

I get tons of questions from people asking me about specifics, I am going to attempt to answer all that I can in one fell swoop.

I am starting a new thread here that will summarize, compile, and hopefully keep you from making mistakes that I made while working on my car. I plan to pass on some tips I learned, some from others, some from hard knocks.

I plan to give you guys a nuts and bolts approach, giving you some options, while also concentrating on how to do it as cheaply as possible while maintaining quality.

This is going to take a while, so bear with me, I will do this in stages.

SO you want to restore an A-body Mopar huh? Are you sure? Do you have a hole in your head? Have you consulted a shrink? Are you sure you don't want a B-body or E-body? If you are as stupid as me and are determined to deal with frustration, blood, tetanus shots, and little bit of sobbing occasionally, keep reading.

First of all, I am not a paid mechanic, I am not a paid body and paint guy, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express! What I am is a guy who has been working on my own cars/Mopars/hot rods/street machines/race cars for the past 22 years, and except for the last 6 months, I have never had my own garage. ( I will let you in on a little secret, I bought my first/current house 6 months ago because it had 2 garages! Shhh! don’t tell anybody, it will be our secret!) I have always worked in the street, in neighbor’s driveways, friend’s garages, and even a rented apartment garage. I have learned ways to work on cars while keeping them drivable, or at least disabled for a very short time. I have done every aspect of building a vehicle, I have a little bit of experience with every system of a car or truck, I have taken apart and rebuilt every component, while I don’t know how to do everything, I never stopped trying. If you don't know how to do something learn. Figure out if you have the ability, tolls, and determination to do the job. If not, then pay someone to do it.

Chapter 1

Where to start?

When I asked if you really wanted to do an A-body, I mean it. Restore a B-body or E-body, it will be easier with a lot of off the shelf reproduction parts. Of course, the bad part is you need deep pockets, E’s are almost unobtaium, even rusted shells will cost you $5K+, B’s are still more reasonable, but forget the Road Runners, Chargers, and Super Bees, they are also sky high.

If you are still determined to do an A-body, well you aint right, but neither am I. You need to understand a few key things before you buy one to work on. These cars have certain problem areas that can be difficult to overcome. Lets talk about a few, but lets also classify the groups.

63-66 Valiant, Dart, Barracuda.
These are the oldest of the series, also, the hardest to find parts for, but as a big plus, I have seen many almost rust free cars for sale cheap. Big issues are trim, finding reproduction is hard or non-existant. When you decide to buy one, make sure the trim is in good condition and all there. Also, the engine bay is small, generally a small block is all you can fit without some major mods, headers are also available, but not many choices. Interior parts are not hard to find. Body rust is to be expected, rear quarters, trunk floor, floor pan, and window channel are common rust areas. Some of the danger, red-flag areas are rust in the upper cowl area, rocker sills and frame rails, these are parts that could prove challenging to find replacements and fix. Now the positive. Want to build an incredibly fast small block car, you found the right combo. Its possible to build a 2600 lb car with a 500hp 408 stroker, this will give you some serious brown streaks in your shorts, I know of one 66 Dart that is running the Mopar 380 Magnum crate engine that runs down in the 11.20 range! Now imagine that when that big block Chevelle pulls up next to you at the stoplight, he will never know what happened to you when you call down to the engine room and tell Scotty to give you Warp 9.8.
100_0965.jpg

100_0969.jpg

100_1341.jpg

67-69 Darts, Barracudas, Valiants.
By far the most desirable years of A-bodies, which means you will be paying more for them to start with. But the good thing is they have the most parts available aftermarket, but still not all parts. On the 67 Darts, all the trim is worth its weight in platinum. The 67 year window trim is one year only, make sure it is all there and usable, the rest of the body trim is also hard to find, don’t assume I can find it later. 68 and 69 GT and GTS have an aluminum tail panel attached to the trunk lid. Often these were damaged and beyond repair, expect to pay $1-2K for nice one, no joke! Also, headlight bezels tend to have dents on the outer edges from years of parking lot battles, while not as hard to find, perfect ones have sold for $600 or more. Same goes for Barracudas. But interior and body parts are relatively available. Watch for the same rust issues as above. Good news is, big blocks and Hemi engines fit, some headers are available that make swaps easier.
100_0939.jpg

100_0960.jpg

70-72 Dart, Valiant
Very popular because there were a lot built, they are cheap, and easy to find, also, reproduction parts are not hard to find. Another plus is that all the flimsy aluminum and stainless trim pieces are mostly gone off these cars, so no need to hunt ebay for that $1000 tail panel. If I were to build the ultimate a-body, the 70-72 have some of the best attributes without being hard to restore, and are still light enough to be fast. Same rust issues.
100_0959.jpg

100_0981.jpg

70-72 Dart Sport, Demon, Duster
The fastback version, a little smaller, a little shorter, very cool looking. These cars tend to have damage at the end of the rear quarters because of accidents or rust, but replacement metal is readily available. Mostly the same as above, same issues.
100_0952.jpg

100_0972.jpg

73-76 All
This is where they started getting a lot heavier. Basically every group got a little heavier over the previous, but this is the porky generation, crash standards, emissions controls, and massive bumper assemblies took their toll. But there are some advantages, they are still light compared to other bigger Mopars, they are cheap and plentiful, they are younger, so less damage by time, and they have better K-frame and brakes with big boy bolt pattern so you can run any wheel you want.
100_0973.jpg

In a nutshell, those are the nuts. In general, all the A-bodies make excellent cruisers, street machines, and race cars. There are some issues to overcome, like lack of tire space, parts availability, and rust, but they are an excellent platform for a fun car. If you dream it, you can do it.

red682.jpg

100_1099.jpg

100_1042.jpg

100_1036.jpg

100_2380.jpg

100_0014.jpg

100_0066.jpg

Sounds like a Dart Diaries version of my Cuda Capers idea I had for a book!

We'll compare notes and see if we both traveled the same paths. And as for your opening lines, I couldn't agree more: Ya gotta have rocks in yer head restoring an A body.... or a true love of what your doing.

Please, go on... 8)

I can hardly wait for the info as I am less experienced than you and could really use the info

yep he is right on.Every time I start anouther a body I say to the wife this is the last one,guess what here i am with anouther 69 dart.This one is the best one yet to work on coming from L.A. almost no rust to work with.I feel your rant.Tell us more sensey.

Yes, thank you this will be a BIG help for me, as I am slowly re-building my 67 Barracuda... I have looked at your larger thread already and have gained a lot of info! THANKS

Duster's are shorter than Darts???? Really? I would have sworn eyeballing them to be longer. Maybe I'll pck up this Duster I'm keeping an eye on and sell the Dart. Hmmmmmmm:toothy10:

Nice pictures but I wont read the book.
Waiting for the movie :happy1:

Chapter two

Now that you have narrowed down to a particular model, start looking. Depending where you live, the choices vary. If you are in the north where road salt is a regular occurrence, most of the A's have long since been fertilizing you grandma's flower bed. I remember back in 1979 when my sister bought her first new car for $200, it was a yellow 71 duster with a slant six. We lived in Detroit. She got it home, how exactly I am not sure of, my Dad nearly had a heart attack! This car had to weigh at least 400lbs less that when it left the factory, because it certainly did not have floorboards, inner fenders, or the bottom of any door or fender, the only thing keeping the gas tank from falling out was well wishes. Overnight the front bumper fell off, the next day the car had a flat, my Dad very nervously inserted the jack into the rear bumper slot, he managed to jack the bumper up a good 6 inches, but the rest of the car did not follow. A week later, she was driving it when the rear end broke loose from the leaf springs. A mechanic took a look at it, he pulled a gun from his waistband and put it out of its misery. Well, not really, but he said that if we put any more than $20 into the car, we would double its value.

What I am trying to get at, is that these cars were know to be rust buckets almost 30 years ago, they have not gotten better with age, and unfortunately, the vast majority of cars from central states to the east coast have long since disintegrated into dust. But there is hope, its called the southeast and pacific northwest. The holy grail still exists in the form of Rust free A-bodies for cheap. Living in Texas has it rewards when I am not cowering away from the 105F heat. A simple look through Craigslist in San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, and El Paso reveals a myriad of clean stockers. Keep going farther west, and you will find the same. And, unexplainable to me, northern Cali through Seattle have a treasure trove of Mopars that look like the day grandma bought it in the early 70's. But be a little cautious of true desert cars, they may not have any rust, but they will also not have any rubber, plastic, or anything soft, all you are getting is clean metal.

My favorite place to look is Craigslist, since they are a free service, you are going to get a better deal, because its local and free of rules. Definitely give the Southwestern states a look, even if you are far away. If it means paying $2000 for a car, and spending $2000 on trailer, gas, and lodging, then you just saved some money, because if you spend $1000 on a rust bucket, you are surely going to spend 5 times that on rust repair. Price out a set of rear quarters, floorpans, trunk pans, front fenders extensions, rust repair pieces for the frame rails, and all the shipping costs. We are talking $2-3K easy here, not to mention that this stuff is beyond most people’s skill set.

EBay is another option, however, Overhaulin fever is rampant and there are a lot of people on it trying to make a quick buck. Many are asking $15K for grandma’s mint 74, 4 door Dart with a cherry slant six and pea green paint, because they believe it’s a classic that Chip Foose is going to fix someday. In all honesty, I bought my Dart off eBay, and I sold two cars that way. My Dart is the exception because it was local, the pics looked horrible, but I went out to look at it anyway. What I found was car that was complete, already had been converted to an 8 ¾ rear, V-8, 73+ K-frame, and was not missing anything major. It turned out to be a rust free car, mostly. There were a two little spots of rust at the bottom of each quarter, one required a 1” x 4” patch, the other side required I just welded up the hole. If you can see the car in person, then go for it. Most of the fees go to the seller, but don’t be fooled, people also tend to be paying more because you are bidding against someone. And people get caught up in bidding wars, spending way more than they want to. My car stopped at $3750, I set my limit at $4000 max. Did I get a good Deal? Yes, I have not seen a 68 Dart (which is what I wanted) since I bought it for less or in better shape. I got a fair deal, not great, but I did OK. Don’t get bidding fever and do something stupid. And don’t buy a car based on pictures, when I sell a car, I take pictures of the good things, not the bad.

Here are the pictures of the car as was on ebay:
000_0021.jpg

000_0015.jpg

000_0017.jpg

000_0025.jpg

Here are the pictures of the car that I took when I went to look at it. Notice the difference.
100_0105.jpg

100_0103.jpg

100_0101.jpg

100_0100.jpg

100_0099.jpg

100_0097.jpg

100_0095.jpg

100_0094.jpg

Autotrader is another source, it seems to be Ok, but I have only bought newer cars with it, again, most people with older cars think that they are worth more than they really are.

The best way to find a car, is word of mouth, if you drive an old car, people will tell you about their gramps that is in a retirement home and needs to sell his car, or that hollow over yonder that has an old Duster sitting in it. Once you have an old car, these people will come to you. There is a guy in Mellissa TX that has about 40 old mopars sitting behind his house on 3 acres of land, all hidden by an 8 ft fence, at least 300 ft from any road, this I found through a tip from a fellow FABO. Also, driving out away from the interstates, you tend to see more cars parked with for sale signs on them. One trip to Houston I saw no less than a dozen old mopars, some in good shape, some not.

And lastly, try internet boards like this one, many times a Mopar lover will buy a car that they don’t want, but can let it be crushed. I know a guy who pulled a 66 Dart out of field that is very restorable, but he is a Ford guy and he just wants to pass it along to someone who will restore it for $350.

Good Cars are out there, you just have to find them.

100_1318.jpg

100_1316.jpg

100_1347.jpg

100_1346.jpg

100_1345.jpg

100_1344.jpg

100_1342.jpg

100_1341.jpg

100_1348.jpg

100_1324.jpg

100_1319.jpg

100_1310.jpg

thanks for ideas. My 65 barracuda is my first attempt at a total restoration. I've got a long way to go, but I'm still excited. I see guys who grab something and a year later boxes of parts are for sell cheap.
I'll be listening for more.

I want the first signed copy of the book. :)

Considering that the last chapter was posted back in November '08, I think this is going to be a very short tale.

Crap, I got buy with my job, and I forgot about this. I will start updating it again, sorry guys.

73-76 All -- This is where they started getting a lot heavier. Basically every group got a little heavier over the previous, but this is the porky generation, crash standards, emissions controls, and massive bumper assemblies took their toll.

This statement is a little overblown. The Dusters and Demons/Darts only varied in weight by a few hundred pounds from 1970-1976. I wouldn't call that "a lot" heavier for the newer models. And let's not forget the Dart Sport Light and Feather Duster models in later years.

Everyone seems to have a hang-up with the so-called "massive" bumper assemblies from '73 on, but they aren't THAT much larger than the bumpers on some earlier A-bodies (Don't believe me? Put a '69 Dart and a '73 Dart Sport side by side and compare). Plus, it was easy to remove the rubber bumperette assemblies.

Finally, horsepower ratings on the 340 V-8 didn't change from '72 to '73 (240 horses both years). And horsepower actually increased in '74 with the 360, which was rated at 245 horses.

Hey Flyboy, I too have the A-body affliction. Is there a cure for this? I've had Chargers & Challengers but they just didnt become a habbit/addiction. I remember the day in 1994 when I first got the urge to use a A-body. I suppose the only cure that I can think of is a hole in the head. Great story, keep it coming.:toothy10:

-
Back