How to store engine?

-

Buford19

Reaction score
Have a barracuda 440 big block project on the go. Currurently I am working on the body and suspension and will not be ready for the engine rebuild for at least 2 years. In the meantime I came across a complete 440, that l would, like to rebuild in the future for this project. How should I store this engine? Do I strip it down to a bare block, or do I leave it together. It would be nice to cut some weight off this to make it more manageable for storage reasons. Thanks.

I have mine on an engine stand, tucked in the back corner. though I would look at getting the engine cart from summit racing, its 70 bucks and worth it.

I'd put some oil down the cylinders at a minimum (assuming you are storing in a garage). I got a furniture dolly from Harbor Freight (like 8$) and screwed a couple pieces of 2x4 on it so the engine will sit on it. Put a big garbage bag over it or clean all the ports (ex and intake) and put some duct tape over them to keep junk out.

As far as lightening it up, toss the cast intake.... you can take the heads off if you are sure you are not going to use them BUT, I'd rather leave it together to keep all the pieces there and keep junk out of the inside.

The last one I tore down for a build was supposedly stored inside. When I pulled the heads cylinders 1 and 2 both had water in them and were starting to rust. Unless you heard this engine run I wouldn't take anyone's word on it being inside. I would personally pull the heads to make sure there is nothing in there. I would coat cylinder walls with something to protect them. When I drained the oil on mine I got quite a bit of water before actual oil came out. After that I'd reinstall the heads with old gaskets just to seal it up.

I have two stored in a sometimes damp shop. Spray your favorite preservative in the cylinders. Turn the engine over a little to spread the film. Maybe take off the rockers to keep the valves closed and the springs from getting soft (don't forget the poor little springs in the hydraulic lifters will also get soft). Rotate the engine by hand every now and then. Best would be some kind of way to circulate air that is pulled through a dessicant to keep internal moisture off.

Unless it's stored in a somewhat temperature controlled environment heating and cooling will collect an amazing amount of condensation. I had an engine stored in a shed for 30 years that wasn't heated and when I tore it down there was rust all over and probably 1/2" of water in the pan and the pan was about to rust through. And I live in a dry climate. My bare blocks and cranks are visible so they are easier to take care of than an assembled engine.

No. Itll just cook it, and make it very tender! Id pull pan, plugs and rockers. Spray an entire can of WD40 into it and the cylinders , then throw in a 2lb bag of dry rice with a hole in it. Tie a trash bag over the entire thing and forget about it.

On a 340 block I have that has no internals, I coated the cylinder walls with a thick coating of wheel bearing grease. That should protect it for a long time, unlike various oils or penetrants that will run off. The outside has good paint on it, so I wasn't worried about the outside for now.

I know this is an environmental no no but my friend and I still have 4-5 sbc's in 55 gallon oil drums filled with waste oil from the early 80's. He needed a 327 and pulled it out, drained and cleaned it and it started right up! Just an idea, ultimate recycling!

^^ One of the best so far, IMO....certainly creative!

Here is a brief description on what is done for light aircraft engines. The use of storage olis has been common in that arena of engine use for decades.

You can disassemble it and get some CRC storage lube and spray the inside machine surfaces to prevent them from rusting then pack the parts in plastic bags and let them sit until you need them.

Thanks for all the ideas, going to strip the motor to a bare block, and oil everything, then cover with plastic bag. Also maybe use grease in some parts of the block and parts that have been removed.

-
Back