How well do you know your V8 engines?

-
"You got 14 right out of 19." not bad at all since I only got into Cars with mopars Im pretty happy knowing alot of those chebbies and GMS

Tough time with the Fords. 16 of 19. Always hated Ford. Refused to work on them or ride in them. Honest to God's truth. When I was in college I occasionally had to hitch hike home on weekends and would not take a ride from a Ford even if it was raining. The guys I hung with felt the same. Stupid kids huh? Forty years later I almost lost my job because I refused to buy Fords for our plow trucks. Stupid old man huh?

i feel sheltered i only got 8 right. guess i need to do a little touching up on my older motors. i am a mopar guy had to guess at most of the others.

17 correct. Same misses as briankaplan and toolmanmike.
I've got no excuse for missing the Chevy 348. Years ago my best bud had a factory dual-quad 425horse 409, I knew they didn't put 3 deuces on a 409. Stupid brain cramps! LOL.
Fun test.

Tough time with the Fords. 16 of 19. Always hated Ford. Refused to work on them or ride in them. Honest to God's truth. When I was in college I occasionally had to hitch hike home on weekends and would not take a ride from a Ford even if it was raining. The guys I hung with felt the same. Stupid kids huh? Forty years later I almost lost my job because I refused to buy Fords for our plow trucks. Stupid old man huh?

LMAO, when I was 16, I had to do a valve job on a 60 Ford with a 352. The intake weighed more than me at the time, or close to it. What a pain in the keester that job was, with the hood opening from the rear! I must have fought that stupid short bypass hose for a couple of hours. But I was 16, and they were probably all smiling behind my back.

I do think age helps. 17 of 19. I also missed the Stude 289 because of the expansion tank. I also go tripped up on the 1st GM Tri-power question.3 of 19 I was thinking of the Olds J2 setup. I was kind expecting to see a flat head ford with a set of Ardun heads to show up. That would probably have tripped up a few of the younger members.

Stan

Tough time with the Fords. 16 of 19. Always hated Ford. Refused to work on them or ride in them.

I got all the Ford products, as well as the Mopars (of course!) but the brand X B.O.P. ones tripped me up a little...

17 out of 19, dumb old stupidbaker engine (expansion tank) & tri power 348 (thought it was 409) tripped me up, The engine COLOR gave most of them away!

Got em all right. When I was a kid I worked on most all of those engines (well, except for the Studes) so it was pretty easy.

You got 19 right out of 19

Fun game

Honestly, I never even heard of a Pontiac 370. Hypermite mentioned engine color and I suddenly felt lamer. Thanks man.

Honestly, I never even heard of a Pontiac 370. Hypermite mentioned engine color and I suddenly felt lamer. Thanks man.

I could'nt remember hearing anything about a 370 either but I picked that as the other choices all seemed too small to need three carbs.

The non-supercharged stude 289 was tricky especially as it appeared to have a ford alternator but the other choices were too old to have an alternator so I got that one.

Blew the 348/409 triple carb.I should have remembered the Beach Boys "dual quad,positraction,4-0-9" and guessed it was the other GM truck motor.

Guessed wrong on a reddish 60's GM one as well so 17 out of 19 for me.Fun game,though.

Pontiac had a ton of different V8 engine sizes down through the yrs. All the same block too (except the 70's-80's 301). They even had a slant 4 in the early 60's. It was basically a V8 with one side chopped off. Even a standard V8 head would bolt up to it.

One way I find to quickly identify an engine's manufacturer is the dist. location. Ford's are the hardest to correctly identify cause they all used a front mounted dist. How many versions of 351's did they have!:banghead:

Pontiac had a ton of different V8 engine sizes down through the yrs. All the same block too (except the 70's-80's 301). They even had a slant 4 in the early 60's. It was basically a V8 with one side chopped off. Even a standard V8 head would bolt up to it.

One way I find to quickly identify an engine's manufacturer is the dist. location. Ford's are the hardest to correctly identify cause they all used a front mounted dist. How many versions of 351's did they have!:banghead:

How many good versions?

I only got 9 out of the 19.

I blame my sheltered life. Over here in Australia, US V8's other than the SBC, Ford Windsor and Cleveland, and Mopar small-blocks are very thin on the ground. Most of the engines featured were never sold here when new, or if they were, were only sold in VERY small quantities.

Pontiac had a ton of different V8 engine sizes . All the same block too (except the 70's-80's 301). They even had a slant 4 in the early 60's. It was basically a V8 with one side chopped off. Even a standard V8 head would bolt up to it.

The 194 c.i.d. was in the early Tempest models . Some of those Tempest models became A/FX 421 Super Duty wild child ! GMC used Pontiac V8's in their light duty trucks going back to c.1952 , when Chevy trucks still were limited to I-6 motors . GMC trucks used to be a heavier-duty pickup until c.1966 ( ever see a GMC Big Block V6 ? 305 / 351 c.i.d.'s . Then there's the oddball GMC "Twin-Six" , a 702 c.i.d. V12 . Then there's the "Toro-Flow" GMC diesel ... )

The "335 Series" ( 351 Cleveland , 351 M and 400 ) look quite similar to the "FE Series" ( Ford-Edsel , is what the "FE" stands for ) , especially the later incarnations .

The "Windsor Series" ( 221 , 260 , 289 , 302 and 351 W ) look much different from their "335" brothers .

The way to tell a Cleveland from a Windsor is to look at where the upper radiator hose routes :
- Windsor : Hose mounts to the intake manifold
- Cleveland : Hose mounts to the Timing Cover-area

Then there's the "385 Series" ( 429 wedge and 460 ) , which look like the old "FE" motors .

Believe me , it's easier than it sounds . I picked-out that 430 M-E-L
( Mercury-Edsel-Lincoln ) in that sweet Mercury Turnpike right away.
Its induction utilises that exact same Holley 2300's as the beloved 340 & 440 Six Pack / 6Bbl motors :toothy7: , a good 10 years prior to MoPar's use of these these beauties .

The 194 c.i.d. was in the early Tempest models . Some of those Tempest models became A/FX 421 Super Duty wild child ! GMC used Pontiac V8's in their light duty trucks going back to c.1952 , when Chevy trucks still were limited to I-6 motors . GMC trucks used to be a heavier-duty pickup until c.1966 ( ever see a GMC Big Block V6 ? 305 / 351 c.i.d.'s . Then there's the oddball GMC "Twin-Six" , a 702 c.i.d. V12 . Then there's the "Toro-Flow" GMC diesel ... )

The 421 sure was wild. They were very good competition for a max Wedge car. Yep, I've seen the GMC big Block V6. Not very often though.

The "335 Series" ( 351 Cleveland , 351 M and 400 ) look quite similar to the "FE Series" ( Ford-Edsel , is what the "FE" stands for ) , especially the later incarnations .

Hum.. I never thought the 335 series looked much like a FE. The FE is an oddball the way the valve covers cover part of the intake. the good thing about them is if you swap to an aluminum intake you shed a good 40 lbs. off the engine.
The "Windsor Series" ( 221 , 260 , 289 , 302 and 351 W ) look much different from their "335" brothers .

The way to tell a Cleveland from a Windsor is to look at where the upper radiator hose routes :
- Windsor : Hose mounts to the intake manifold
- Cleveland : Hose mounts to the Timing Cover-area

Another way to tell a Cleveland from a Windsor is Cleveland's have real wide valve covers where-as the Windsors have narrow covers.

Then there's the "385 Series" ( 429 wedge and 460 ) , which look like the old "FE" motors .

Did old FE engines look different than a mid 60's and up FE? A 65 FE is the earliest FE I've worked on. If all FE's look the same, a FE and a 385 look very little alike, IMO.

Believe me , it's easier than it sounds . I picked-out that 430 M-E-L
( Mercury-Edsel-Lincoln ) in that sweet Mercury Turnpike right away.
Its induction utilises that exact same Holley 2300's as the beloved 340 & 440 Six Pack / 6Bbl motors :toothy7: , a good 10 years prior to MoPar's use of these these beauties .

Just my .02

-
Back