hp and tq estimates?

-

wireweld

Reaction score
My engine builder will be done with my engine this week and will dyno it next week. Anyone want to guess the power?
416 stroker internally balanced
10 to 1 cr JE forged
eddy rpm heads ported by Southeast Performance
roller rockers 1.6 ratio
Hughes 3742 hyd cam 237 242 duration 108 lsa
eddy rpm intake ported
650 mighty demon 1" open spacer
FBO ignition 18 initial 34 total

Im going to say 475hp and 500ft lbs. Put a bigger carb on it. A 650 is way small for a 416.

wireweld said:
My engine builder will be done with my engine this week and will dyno it next week. Anyone want to guess the power?
416 stroker internally balanced
10 to 1 cr JE forged
eddy rpm heads ported by Southeast Performance
roller rockers 1.6 ratio
Hughes 3742 hyd cam 237 242 duration 108 lsa
eddy rpm intake ported
650 mighty demon 1" open spacer
FBO ignition 18 initial 34 total

Needs at least a 750cfm Mighty Demon with that cam. 515hp/525tq

yall's so close I need not say.
What exoust and gas do you run.
Here in Arkansas we call that 500 hp with the demon carb750
just 1 opinion
this motoer will give you a lot of life for free out of the gate...
last last last . :argue:

With the ported heads I say at least and 850 carb......you'd probably be able to run a 950 and make more power but for the street I'd run an 850.

I have seen 850 double pumpers run on a stock 340 and it worked great so it should be fine for this engine. No idea on the HP for this baby hopefully around the 500 mark as I too have a stroker build in my future plans. I would be interested to know what you end up with and the parts used to accomplish this heads, cam, pistons, etc. Good Luck!!

The 650 is what Don at FBO suggested so I went with it. He said for a street cruiser it would handle and respond better. I have no idea.

wireweld said:
The 650 is what Don at FBO suggested so I went with it. He said for a street cruiser it would handle and respond better. I have no idea.
If that is what Don recommended, stick with it. For street use it will be "very" responsive. :thumbup:

I also went with a 650 Mighty Demon on my 340, but it's not stroked. I have a 1" 4 hole spacer so it runs smoother as per Don's advice.

If you wanted a street cruiser, I would go with Don's advice. He knows the BG carbs very well and I'm sure he went over the engine build specs, tranny, gears, exhaust, stall, etc. with you. If you didn't do that with him then you should. I believe science over the 'bigger is always better' arguement after reading and talking physics with Don. You can always go bigger for ***** and grins.

Read about VE = volumetric efficiency on his site. With your build I would think that your VE would be somewhere around 90% +/-2%. Which would require 682 +/-15 cfm at 6300 rpm. How often are you really going to be at WOT at 6300 RPM in a street car? If you plan on racing you maybe able to exchange your carb with Don to the 750 or 850 Mighty Demon.

Thats true he should know his stuff and if it is mostly street the smaller carb should be more then fine. You could always swap to a larger carb to run the 1320.

I agree with the others-thats a small carb,even with the street cruiser theory,the rest of your build up is not typical to a total sreet cruiser so why would someone want to stop at the carb?.You would make more power and still be streetable-there alot of engines doing it.Im not bashing Don,I got to know him,his car and his knowledge when he worked for a short time at a shop owned locally by a guy I know-I hung out alot.If we all agree on how to do everything where is the fun in that?.

Theres the key right there.
He said for a street cruiser
I was saying to myself, while reading this, a 650 Demon is enuff to feed it, to a point rpm wise, and should be fine. Though I do not disagree with the larger carb suggestions, the difference in carb size is only a few HP more. On the street, it's nothing. At the track is different.

The large cam is swallowed by the sheer size of the mill. I'd say nice HP grind in a regular engine. In the stroker, it acts smaller.

Wireweld, refresh my memory on the drive train. Trans and rear gears in what car with tire size. Thanks.

i would try to borrow a bigger carb from a friend and try it at dyno time just to see IF theres a difference and if there is and you like it,you can sell the 650 and buy a bigger carb.

that being said,i think adam is close because of a few things in the motor but this IS a STREET motor so if you can get 475HP out of a street motor...THATS GOOD!!! :toothy7:

one more thing...this is a BIG one....what did the heads flow???

rumblefish360 said:
Theres the key right there. I was saying to myself, while reading this, a 650 Demon is enuff to feed it, to a point rpm wise, and should be fine. Though I do not disagree with the larger carb suggestions, the difference in carb size is only a few HP more. On the street, it's nothing. At the track is different.

The large cam is swallowed by the sheer size of the mill. I'd say nice HP grind in a regular engine. In the stroker, it acts smaller.

Wireweld, refresh my memory on the drive train. Trans and rear gears in what car with tire size. Thanks.

I will be using the 904 with 5 front and 4 rear clutches and the transgo tf 2 and low gear set. The rear is an 8 3/4, 3.23 sg and 265 50 15 alittle over 26" tall tires.
The engine dynoed at 502hp and 513tq but I don't remember at what rpms.
We have a 1" open spacer on at the time and we are going to try it without to see if there is any difference. We will try later this week.
The heads flowed 296.4 on intake, I don't remember what the exhausted flowed.
This all goes into a 72 dart swinger.
I will also be using TTi headers and x pipes.

Thanks Wire.
Actualy, after re-reading, 650 does seem small. (What was I reading?) I would not have thought it so. Hummm.
Let us know what that dyno session comes up with! This is interesting.

That should be a blast in that car.

My 408 Duster started out simialiar to your 416 build. I went right off with the 3310 Holley, worked great on the street and adequate at the strip. You probably wont noticed much difference on the street with that rigg between the 650 or a larger carb, you will just smoke the tires with any throttle jab no matter what carb.
One thing I always wondered about was how much of a bottleneck were the 1&5/8" headers on my stroker motor. My 1/4 mile times were O.K. , but I could never find any quantitative info on 1/4 mile times if I changed to the TTI step header or to Hooker 1&3/4". I bit the bullet and went the Hooker route: consistent .4 sec gain, and 5 mph.
Your engine build sounds sounds right on the money for street duty, 500 hp, awesome !

ok, my engine builder has finished with the second pull on the dyno. Because of low oil pressure we changed the oilpan to a low pro milodon from the stock oilpan. It now dynos at 535 at 5700 and 535tq at 4500. After removing the 1" open spacer the engine responded better in the low rpms.
I sit and wonder if I should stop there or if I should try something to improve upon this or if this is enough to haul *** with my 72 swinger? What do you think?

Nice numbers! I bet your hp would peak @ 6000+ with a larger carb. Can you borrow a 750 or a 850 holley or demon from someone?

wireweld said:
ok, my engine builder has finished with the second pull on the dyno. Because of low oil pressure we changed the oilpan to a low pro milodon from the stock oilpan. It now dynos at 535 at 5700 and 535tq at 4500. After removing the 1" open spacer the engine responded better in the low rpms.
I sit and wonder if I should stop there or if I should try something to improve upon this or if this is enough to haul *** with my 72 swinger? What do you think?

535 at 5700 and 535tq at 4500
I think you will need a roll cage - especially if you add some gears like 3.91s.

It will be a fun ride - make sure the brakes are upgraded.

-
Back