Hughes converters

-

BarryC

'74 Duster 360
Reaction score
Anyone have anything to say about Hughes converters? Looking at one for my dad's 340 Duster. I have a Fairbanks 3000 in mine, but they no longer exist. He needs a little more stall than what he presently has with a generic stock low stall replacement of about 1200. Was looking at either a 2500 or 3000. Don't want to much because he is picky about change. Running a stock cammed 340 that is .060 over with 3.55 gears and 27" tire. Might in the future go to a 3.23 gear.

I've had a couple of hughes converters that work great.

IMO, if you are going to drop 400+, just get a better 9.5 unit from ultimate, dynamic or any other shop that can build a tight unit on cruise that flashes strong when on the pedal. Converters with high flash speeds aren't the marshmellows they used to be.

Some of the shops have winter discount specials.

x2 with crackedback. I have a A&A in my 727 that flashes to 3400 when you mash on it but is locked at cruise. It's a 91/2". Most shops will adjust a converter if you don't like it. Hope this helps.

Give Lenny at Ultimate a call he'll build ya' a converter like no other and it'll do exactely what you want..

Dynamic, Ultimate, PTC are all very high quality converters worth your time. You won't regret spending your money with these guys.

$895 for an Ultimate and $695 for a Dynamic. PTC was out to lunch when I called. $400 for a 3000 Hughes and $311 for a 2500 Hughes.

I've used TCI's 3500 stall for two motors I have built , and was totally happy with theirs !! Bought them both a few years apart, and their price only went up $10 between the two !!! Headed their direction again here shortly as I want a New Valve Body !!

$895 for an Ultimate and $695 for a Dynamic. PTC was out to lunch when I called. $400 for a 3000 Hughes and $311 for a 2500 Hughes.

Don't let price be your only guide when buying a converter. There are valid reasons why there can be big differences in converter prices and from looking at the outside you can't tell why this would be. There are many internal parts that could be custom made. My previous employer for example could put in a custom built steel stator, anti ballooning plate on the pump cover, use a custom steel mounting cover, depending on the customers needs.

Find out what each company is offering you for the dollars they want for their product and go from there.

I've seen enough converters apart to see why some are more expensive than others.

My PTC converter has worked great for me. I have a 408, PTC 727 and a Dana 3.73.

Dustaar

Would a 2500 or 3000 be better for a stock '70 340 duster? Want something to perform at least as good as it did back when it was new. Present converter is a $50 stock low low stall. Might be 1200 rpm.

Would a 2500 or 3000 be better for a stock '70 340 duster? Want something to perform at least as good as it did back when it was new. Present converter is a $50 stock low low stall. Might be 1200 rpm.

You have to remember that the spall speed varies a lot because of a few factors. Actual engine torque output, gear ratio, tire size and vehicle weight all comes into play to determine the actual stall speed. Hughes converters are real well made converters from what I've seen but the off the shelf ratings should be taken with a grain of salt. From what I've seen Hughes converters are usually tighter than advertised. I put a Hughes 2500 off the shelf converter in a buddies challenger that had a stout 440 and it just barely stalled 2500. My guess is an off the shelf Hughes 2500 will only stall about 2000-2200 behind a stock 340

You have to remember that the spall speed varies a lot because of a few factors. Actual engine torque output, gear ratio, tire size and vehicle weight all comes into play to determine the actual stall speed. Hughes converters are real well made converters from what I've seen but the off the shelf ratings should be taken with a grain of salt. From what I've seen Hughes converters are usually tighter than advertised. I put a Hughes 2500 off the shelf converter in a buddies challenger that had a stout 440 and it just barely stalled 2500. My guess is an off the shelf Hughes 2500 will only stall about 2000-2200 behind a stock 340

I`ve got a 3500 hughs behind my 505" 440. haven't got around to nailing it yet (in paint shop), but it sure seems loose what little I have driven it . just no telling !

The converter I am selling is their off the shelf 10" 3,500. It stalled at 3,800 behind my W2 340.

I`ve got a 3500 hughs behind my 505" 440. haven't got around to nailing it yet (in paint shop), but it sure seems loose what little I have driven it . just no telling !

A 505" should have monstrous torque and that's one main factor that makes a converter stall so it's no surprise yours does. A few yrs. back when I built the 360 for my car I had a PTC spec'd for 3000 stall and it stalled just that behind the 360. I later built a 408 and the same converter then stalled 3500+.

A 505" should have monstrous torque and that's one main factor that makes a converter stall so it's no surprise yours does. A few yrs. back when I built the 360 for my car I had a PTC spec'd for 3000 stall and it stalled just that behind the 360. I later built a 408 and the same converter then stalled 3500+.

agreed !

-
Back