Hughes Edelbrock heads : Smallblock

-
Let it be said that Hughes is competent and can produce exceptional product. I read a few of these comments above & think of how many customers with good results there are also.

In general I am sure most of us are aware that in todays day & age of the Google review, or the Yelp rating we see that mostly those who want to criticize are the ones that post. Rarely the positive rating actually gets posted. Its just the way it seems to work.

So let it be known that my Hughes experience was/is good on my machine worked 408 & full ported Edelbrock top end.

Your absolutely right I used them because of all the good things I heard about them..lesson learned,NOT again..

Bought a set of Hughes CNC open chamber Eddy heads from someone on this board...about 6 yrs ago...bolted them on to our stock stroke 360 .060 with Hughes 6064 cam...11. to 1 compression...car has run 10.31 @ 128.22.....

Just updated the heads with 2.08 valves..they previously had 2.02...

I have a set of Hughes heads with the 2.08 intake valves and have been struggling with issues since assembly. The motor has plenty of power but one head runs a cooler temperatures then the other and the plugs look different on one side versus the other. I thought it was something with the fuel injection but replaced it with a new Fast Sportsmen System. The vacuum is lower than I would expect and the self learning on the computer leaves a weird spike at around 3K rpm. I changed cams and fuel injection in attempt to resolve issue only thing I can think is something is wrong with one of the heads. It did have epoxy in the ports when received from Hughes.

Does this sound like it could be caused by defects in the head?

Thanks,
Darin

Considering you changed 2 major components of your engine I would say that yes you have an issue with something you did not change. Is it possible your intake is not sealing properly? J.Rob

There is more to horsepower than head flow. We should all know this by now.

You can have two heads that both flow 300 CFM and they can very different max HP levels and HP curves. There is more to it than flow.

If you are buying a head base solely on flow, you are bound to get screwed.

BTW, if everyone would use correction software, and checked their benches for leaks, they would all flow within 1%.

A tricky dud I know likes to use very soft checker springs on the valves. That way, when he is flowing, it will open the other valve a bit, and shine up his **** numbers a bit.

A loose spark plug will do it too. Some guys leave the plug out!

There is more to horsepower than head flow. We should all know this by now.

You can have two heads that both flow 300 CFM and they can very different max HP levels and HP curves. There is more to it than flow.

If you are buying a head base solely on flow, you are bound to get screwed.

BTW, if everyone would use correction software, and checked their benches for leaks, they would all flow within 1%.

A tricky dud I know likes to use very soft checker springs on the valves. That way, when he is flowing, it will open the other valve a bit, and shine up his **** numbers a bit.

A loose spark plug will do it too. Some guys leave the plug out!

Don't get me started on flowbench BS. My SF-1020 has atmospheric condition data and corrections it has NEVER read higher than anyone else's advertised flow numbers. You are right about flow numbers meaning actually very little. Your tricky dude with weak springs sounds like he's in the wrong trade if he thinks he's fooling anyone, and leaving a spark plug out is a dead giveaway with a +30cfm advantage showing..

That being said I purchased the heads for the 2015 EMC and saw andvantage within the rules that year. My mistake was letting Hughes sell me his CNC port "work" . I was after the pushrod pinchless aspect and know how CSA and flow work to know. J.Rob

Don't get me started on flowbench BS. My SF-1020 has atmospheric condition data and corrections it has NEVER read higher than anyone else's advertised flow numbers. You are right about flow numbers meaning actually very little. Your tricky dude with weak springs sounds like he's in the wrong trade if he thinks he's fooling anyone, and leaving a spark plug out is a dead giveaway with a +30cfm advantage showing..

That being said I purchased the heads for the 2015 EMC and saw andvantage within the rules that year. My mistake was letting Hughes sell me his CNC port "work" . I was after the pushrod pinchless aspect and know how CSA and flow work to know. J.Rob

He fools the end users with big numbers. Some people never learn. He still sells lots of port work and most people love his junk.

It's all about the marketing.

One thing is clear, some have had good results while others have not. Knowing how to use what you have (not limited to the heads here today) and how stuff works is half the battle.

The flow curve of the head is the first hurdle and how much port you have (CSA) is another aspect people look past. Smaller item like port shape itself is yet another issue.

Is it a low laying port (AKA stock heads) or a raised port? (AKA W5/W9's etc...)

Bottom line, it's the whole package!

One thing is clear, some have had good results while others have not. Knowing how to use what you have (not limited to the heads here today) and how stuff works is half the battle.

The flow curve of the head is the first hurdle and how much port you have (CSA) is another aspect people look past. Smaller item like port shape itself is yet another issue.

Is it a low laying port (AKA stock heads) or a raised port? (AKA W5/W9's etc...)

Bottom line, it's the whole package!
Oh I agree Rumble but I paid a LOT of money for these knowing they would never flow the claimed 319 cfm or whatever but I fully expected a solid 300 cfm and good mid range flow. Guess what?! I don't even want to talk about mid lift flow and 284cfm with a TON of help?! Burn victim over here throw some water on me! J.Rob

Well...There is always Modern Cylinder Heads for CNC work....got two sets of their heads in use also...I can post the flow bench sheet if anyone wants to see it..

If you want superior port work
Contact IQ52!
You will be pleased and so will your motor !!

Well...There is always Modern Cylinder Heads for CNC work....got two sets of their heads in use also...I can post the flow bench sheet if anyone wants to see it..
Yea! Please do.

LOL, answer one raise the quote box my friend! Ha ha ha

MCH eddy CNC flow chart....

Attachments

• eddy_flow_chart.pdf
    110.8 KB · Views: 253
Those were done back in 2010, back went they used to have a winter special on their CNC work...

Have you looked at Rod Bloomers head for a small block mopar very nice and his numbers don't lie Hughes numbers are way off look up BPE his heads should pop up

Just did a google search for BPE heads and pops up very nice looking heads

I looked at the BPE heads for a build but could not find anyone who had tried a set, i didn't want to be the first so I just stuck my old J heads on it. Has anyone done a build with a set?

I know off a motor getting a set this winter and taking the eddys off they were designed buy some great cly head guys Brett miller and Bishoff they are very nice I would not let that stop me from buying them

Maybe you guys should have mrl do your heads, he's selling a 416 with Chinese heads that he claims makes nearly 600 HP at 9.3 to 1 compression.....

I know off a motor getting a set this winter and taking the eddys off they were designed buy some great cly head guys Brett miller and Bishoff they are very nice I would not let that stop me from buying them

I have been the first a few times in life to try some things and the successes failure rate heavily favours the fail side. Post up the build and the details on what they needed to do to the heads.

We will be doing a 421" build in the next couple of months with one of my 4.125"" kits. The build will include both varieties of my cylinder heads. They will then be dynoed back to back, to show what an average build on pump gas will make with my components.

Rod

Sorry, what pair of heads in what condition/state?

i am currently running a set of there stage 3 s from hughes and have had good luck with them and hoping to upgrade to big mouths , will let you know the results, good to see other guys are trying to find a good head option that isnt a ton of money, anything mrl sells is good stuff can vouch for that one also and has great customer manners

-
Back