Hurricane Sandy

-
Well I wish everyone else would have made it through Sandy as well as I did, the only issue I had was the roof on the garage leaked but the Demon stayed dry. Prayers and thoughts to all those that were/are less fortunate.

Well I wish everyone else would have made it through Sandy as well as I did, the only issue I had was the roof on the garage leaked but the Demon stayed dry. Prayers and thoughts to all those that were/are less fortunate.

Yep nothing to speak of here. Not much rain, a fair amount of wind overnight.
Transformer that's about 100 yards from my house blew up. happens about three times a year on average. That's what the generator is for.

Well, we lost power at around 6:15 last night. I posted before it went out but again, we lost a huge tree in our front yard. My wife and I were sitting by a window, it came down right in front of us. Landed with a huge thud, shook the whole house. Very slight damage though, just took out the corner of a gutter on the way down and one of the branches poked a small hole in a screen but that was all. Spent half the day chopping branches and clearing stuff, my arms are killing me. Gotta get my chainsaw running.

As I said before, we really dodged a bullet. Looks like we'll be without power for several days, could be two weeks. Right now though we are lucky enough to stay at a family member's place in a part of the city that is pretty much normal. On the way in to the city, we saw several convoys of out of state utility trucks driving east on the LIE, was cool to see.

There were a ton of trees down all across our area. Seems kinda crazy when you think about it, almost all the power lines are right next to roads and thus trees. Amazing the power doesn't go out every time the wind blows.

Lower Manhattan is under water. Though the mayor took the subway out of service, there is water up to the ceilings in some stations. The surges are what really caused a lot of damage, like a tsunami. Note to self, don't buy a house right next to water.

A whole neighborhood burned down out in Breezy Point Queens. The houses were real close together, the wind swept the fire from house to house. Nothing left there, looks like a war zone. They're all firefighters that live there too.

Big clean up. To all those in harms way, hang in there.

Just for the folks that don't know it, this is NOT a picture of Sandy coming to shore............. it's from a movie. witch should have or could have been said in your post dustermaniac, It got me!!! and I shared it.. memike can look stupid on my own, I don't need any help.

Memike is correct. If I am not mistaken, this is "The Day After Tomorrow"with Dennis Quaid and Jake Gyllenhaal.

The eye of the storm went right over us about 6:00 Monday evening. We live a 1/2 block from the Delaware Bay. Looking at a map, we're right where the Cape May-Lewes Ferry comes in, at the very bottom of New Jersey.
About 4:00-5:00 pm, on Monday, it was at it's worst. The wind at that point was out of the NW, which is right off of the bay. We walked to the beach, though we had to walk backwards because the rain hurt our faces. We also had to lean into it to stay up. I have a hand-held wind speed gauge. I saw 40-50 mph earlier in the day. I saw about 56-59 before it stopped reading, at the peak. I'm guessing it was about 70 mph.
Surprisingly, there was very little damage in our area. We expected to lose power, but not even that occured right where we are. We did lose our cable/internet for a while.
However, only about 8 miles north, several houses were severly damaged, and one is gone.
Here's a link to the local paper: http://www.capemaycountyherald.com/
Over on the ocean side of the peninsula, they had a lot of flooding. There was a full moon Monday, which made it worse. Yesterday, they weren't letting people into the communities over there.
We went out for dinner last night, it was a party atmosphere in the restaurant. Everyone was relieving the stress.

Well,I was lucky here. Didn't lose power and the basement stayed dry. If I didn't prepare myself like get things off the basement floor and filling up bottles and buckets with water,it would have been the opposite.

I got lucky, didnt loose power but lost cable and internet. Schools closed for the 3rd day which means 3 kids driving me insane. Its a mess out there. Luckily I have power and cable at the shop !

Memike is correct. If I am not mistaken, this is "The Day After Tomorrow"with Dennis Quaid and Jake Gyllenhaal.
Thats the movie :cheers: Thank you :D I posted it on face book to send out prayers to the folks on the east coast and I got hit with
Hay Mike!! That is from a movie :? not from the storm :banghead:
But it still made a point I guess :toothy9:

Well,I was lucky here. Didn't lose power and the basement stayed dry. If I didn't prepare myself like get things off the basement floor and filling up bottles and buckets with water,it would have been the opposite.

Glad to here this news this morning J, you was on time and on your toes
Good job :happy1:

I seen only one tree down but Michigan just got some wind of 35-40 mph, no big deal.

We got some nut thou shooting at cars since Oct 16th, so its cop city around the local freeway by me..stinks, lower fuel prices yet I still feel grounded...people are driving themselves crazy, a rock hits a windshield and they go screaming they got shot at and cops go pulling over dark color 30-40 cars..today some dudes pulled off the road and were yelling at each other--was reported as more gun fire, lol

Theres a $102,000 reward out to catch the guy..he shoots from his car going the other way..if you see him shoot you could follow him and call 911 and collect some big cash, lol

lost power after my last post, still don't have power. no damage whatever in my yard. lots of trees down around. hoping to get power back soon. ashamed to say I have a hard time living without internet.

on the bright side my two college courses were cancelled this week.:cheers:

Yeah buddy! 840,000 customers still without power on Long Island and thats not including Queens and Brooklyn.

-
Back