hydraulic lifters

-

ir3333

Reaction score
what's your preference for small block hydraulic lifters
for cams under .500 lift?
stock style replacements..melling?

One thing I definitely would not do is use Comp cams lifters. I don't know who makes them for Comp Cams. I have a couple that take a few seconds to pump up, no big deal but it's sort of embarrassing. I have heard the same from lots of others so very common.

one thing i definitely would not do is use comp cams lifters. I don't know who makes them for comp cams. I have a couple that take a few seconds to pump up, no big deal but it's sort of embarrassing. I have heard the same from lots of others so very common.

x10

Johnson makes many good 200K mile OEM lifters. IF your under .500, your probably not spinning big R's so the performance brands are not needed.

I love the SpeedPro HT2011R pieces...these are the anti pump-up hydraulic lifters, basically you can run your pre-load near 0 (I have done so) and it does give the motor maybe an extra 500 RPM at the top end. Mind you, they can also be a bit noisy when cold...so your call as to what you are after. I have mine currently set to 1/4 turn from zero.

FYI, the latest version of these now uses the hard retainer snap-ring, the prior version used a sheet-metal clip, which I had actually found to have come out on 1 lifter...scary thought, luckily it did not puke the guts out (and yes, it probably had something to do with me running them at 0" lash...lol)

-
Back