I Am Looking For A Business I Can Run From My Home…

-

KP

Reaction score
I have been laid off since March 09, 2009 from a job I really enjoyed. Knowing the company one has been laid off from will most likely not recover due to the current state of the economy is not fun, along with so many local companies laying off and/or closing their doors.

The reason I am writing this is because I would like to ask if anyone knows of work (A Business) that can be ran out of my home. I am not looking for any of these so called “get rich quick” scams where the up-stream people are the only ones that make money or where there is an upfront charge for a program that is the only way money is made. I am willing to work hard and dedicate the required time to be successful.

Please feel free to PM me or e-mail me ([email protected])

My family and I would be thankful for any help or tips.

Thank You, KP

I know that many medical transcription services are run out of homes, as are a number of answering services.

I run a small business shipping for a family member, it's easy and my Post Office is full of friendly people.

"Fred Garvin ... male prostitute!" ala Saturday Night Live's (Dan Akroyd).

Sorry KP ... I just had to. BTW: Are you looking to do this permantely or until you find another job?

It would be my longer term goal to start something that ends up being a long term permanent business. For now any addisional cash flow on top of umemployment would be a help.

I know a lady who went down to a local dealership and arranged to do some used car detailing for them as a second job while her husband was temporarily off work. She has since quite her regular job and the detailing business brings in as much income as her husbands job. He is seriously considering jumping into the detail business with her full time too.

I know a lady who went down to a local dealership and arranged to do some used car detailing for them as a second job while her husband was temporarily off work. She has since quite her regular job and the detailing business brings in as much income as her husbands job. He is seriously considering jumping into the detail business with her full time too.

Do you have any idea what she may charge per car and if the detailing is done at the lot using their utilities and supplies?

Thanks

I've been fixing lawnmowers, doing landscaping, cleaning out garages, etc. Whatever dirty work there is, I'll do, I don't care.

You might try e-baying stuff for people that don't want to deal with the hassle.

KP: To better assist you please give us some idea as to where your expertiese is. What is your trade? What are you good at? Computers? Hands on? Let us know. That idea on the detail shop is a good one if you dont mind working. They stay busy around here. As far as price they vary upon how much detail the customer wants. I've had some done and they will part it out such as interior is one price. Wash only on the outside. Buff,Wash and wax. Engine bay detail. Service is the key. Give em what they want. Do you have a garage or shop to work out of? What kind of tools do you have. Light auto repair and tune ups can be good also as most people these days are keeping the older cars and fixin them to run longer rather than biting off the big weany and buying a new one. I'm working with a used car lot now on doing some of their work. May work into something and maybe not. Shops are busy here in town. Just some ideas for ya.
Small Block

buy clearence items and sell them on ebay. example. I bought 6 mosquito magnet machiens at the sears parts store for 75$ apiece list 320 selling for 170-200 one more to go.Keep your eyes open for deals. maybe not a good real job but its still cash.

My trade is in manufacturing as a Manufacturing Engineer, Quality Manager, Safety Director and Maintenance Manager. I am good with computers, lawn work, carpet cleaning, fence cleaning, etc. and have no problem getting my hands dirty but do not have an available garage or building to work out of. I have made contact about detailing cars and local car lots and there does not seem to be any work available here in my area (most likely because of the amount of people that are laid off and already doing so called odd jobs…).

I have also thought about trying to sell on ebay. In the example of buying clearance items and sell on ebay what is the best way to find these? Go store to store, call local stores and ask what they have on clearance or ???

Thanks Again For Your Ideas And Suggestions,

KP

I was also in manufacturing for 20 years as a machinist, then cnc machine programmer and then like you a manufacturing engineer. I know this is going to sound a bit cryptic and cliché but I'm being quite serious.

Do what you love to do and the money will follow.

That's what I did and even though I had some real doubts at first its working. Paying the bills and then some and I'm gettin younger instead of burnin out working for a company that in the end saw me as just another way to get the job done in Mexico.

Go to sites like this one:
http://gsaauctions.gov/
The government sells things in lots of HUNDREDS sometimes and I'll tell you that some people on Ebay, even people on the street, absolutely go NUTS when they can buy a genuine military item like a knife.

There's so many ways to make $$$ if you just look around some.

Mark.

I am a laid of electrical technition(big word cause we are malti crafted)from a large shut down steel mill.(1500 people)it will probably never run again. It looks like US manufacturing doesnt get stimulated.

I am a laid of electrical technition(big word cause we are malti crafted)from a large shut down steel mill.(1500 people)it will probably never run again. It looks like US manufacturing doesnt get stimulated.

And What Are We To Do...

Go to sites like this one:
http://gsaauctions.gov/
The government sells things in lots of HUNDREDS sometimes and I'll tell you that some people on Ebay, even people on the street, absolutely go NUTS when they can buy a genuine military item like a knife.

There's so many ways to make $$$ if you just look around some.

Mark.

You could always take people money then not render the services promised. That works right Mark.

How about a paper route? Now don't laugh. When I knew I was getting laid off from JDS Uniphase (fiber optics) in 2006, there was a guy there that did home delivery for a newspaper. I asked him if he could get me into the commercial side (stores). Within a few weeks, I got a run. So I did the papers in the wee hours and then went to JDS for 6 months until JDS shut down. About a year later, the boss gives me another run for a different paper after doing the first run. All the while a guy from a different paper has been trying to hire me away. I keep refusing so he finally comes up with a pick-up run of unsold newspapers and give the stores credit for them. It's a daytime run. Anyways, I work 6 days a week. About 12 hours Mon to Thurs, 9 hours on Friday, 5 hours on Saturday with another 4 hours on call and Sundays off.

Although, there's no benefits, no medical or dental, no sick days or holidays, I make more now than when I worked 12 hours a day, 7 days a week at JDS. I can actually afford to do stuff on the Demon. The runs are so boring, I want to slit my wrists. But in this economy I'll take what I can get. I couldn't survive on one run, but add the 3 runs together and I'm doing alright.

Wylde1.

How about lawn care. I've heard that with all the housing foreclosures there is a big need for banks to find companies to cut the lawns of the houses they have in foreclosure.

-
Back