i cant fill up my gas tank!

-

kielbasavw

Reaction score
Since I've owned the car I have not been able to pump gas normally. I have to do it very slow or else gas just pours back out and all over the side of the car and ground. I can only get to about half a tank until it gets unbearable annoying.

It's a 65 valiant. Is this a vent issue? I notice the vent tube from top of filler tube goes up and around the hinge then back down into the floor near the bottom side of the filler tube. Nothing seems to be hokey or anything.

I have the same issue with a 66 Valiant wagon. I think the slope of the filler tube is too shallow.

My 66 Dart does the same. Too shallow of angle is my guess too. Wish I had a exhaust pipe bender and some time on my hands. Re-engineering a fill pipe isn't rocket science. A short stub on the fill end and a bend almost straight down would do it. Then bend it again and over to the tank grommet. tmm

Shoot, I think maybe just remove the tube , then cut it to just about 3 inches above the tank and reweld the end on it so you can use the cap to seal it . That would be a straight shot but you would have to open the trunk to fill .

PM rick at laysons to see if they still have it.

Part # Description Price Qty.
LA-636AFTC Filler Tube Conversions (with core exchange) Core Charge $40 (cores refunded up to 90 days)
63-66 A-Body $179.00

Does that say $180??? Do they just modify a stock tube? Got a picture of the thing. I'm sure I can do it my self

I have to hold back the rubber seal? thing thats on the pump neck in order to put gas in my car. It's a pita to say the least

i have tried angles, and whacky stuff, the only thing that works is a can of gas. im fed up with it, i would like to know exactly how to modify the tube in order to work well.

use the search here and on slantsix.org it is well documented known issue that all of us early a owners have had to deal with or live with. Has the gas started to stain your 1/4 panel yet?

IMO a Smaller hole won't work. It seems like more Ventilation is required. I would personally try removing the Filler neck and installing a vent. It needs to be above where the Nozzle ends up(Somewhere near the top). Drill a hole and see if it fixes it. If it does then you could fab up a metal tube to direct vapour's straight down the tube to a rubber fuel hose. Just Thinking out loud but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I'm pretty sure the Layson's modification is to install a flat plate that splits the tube in half, like a modern filler neck. Then the liquid follows along the bottom half of the neck and the entire upper half becomes the vent.

They also baffle the neck, like the upper portion of a modern neck (the part with the little hole and the door and vent hole) to keep the gas from flowing up the tube and out onto the 1/4 panel, as the neck angle is too shallow and allows gas to run up the neck on sharp right handed turns.

The last fix you should be doing is also to install a new filler neck grommet, as these are a common sourse of gas leaking out when the tank is filled above 1/2 way.

All not hard to do, but I would think the baffle at the top would be the hardest part to accomplish, and maybe sourcing this piece from a modern filler neck and installing it into yours would be the best bet!! Geof

Do the pumps in your neck of the woods have the vapor recovery system on the nozzle? That was when we started having trouble when I was a young 'un with Dad's '64 wagon. Back then, you had to pull the vapor recovery rubber thing back with your hand (and sometimes invert the nozzle) to get it to pump.

It worked fine with the older style pumps...

-
Back