I Cracked My Intake

-

bobscuda67

Reaction score
I have a 340 with Magnum heads and a Mopar M1 intake. I just cracked it rebolting it on the heads last night, so now it's junk. I think it was due to having it milled to much to make up for a bad intake to head angle.
Of course the intake I have is no longer made. It was an Mopar M1 dual plane with the Magnum bolt pattern, angled bypass hose fitting and old style t stat. Now I have a few options, an Edelbrock Air Gap or a knockoff cosswinds. The Edelbrock is better quality but the knockoff has the angled bypass.
Anyone have a bad experience with the crosswinds? How about the Edelbrock?

So it's beyond repair? There are some good aluminum welders on this site.....

I have the Edelbrock RPM for the Magnum. I had to drill and tap a hole for the heater core while making use of the OE serpentine (2000) set up. The Acc. bracket where the A/C compressor sits cover the hole Edelbrock cast in. Not a big deal, but something to know about before hand. I just used one of 2 ports that could hold a temp sensor.

It looks like it cracked in two places. I thought of having it tig welded but was afraid it wouldn't be flat anymore.
I just had it angled milled to fit the head angle because of a oil leak in the lifter valley and it's really narrow at the sealing flange. It's had .030 taken off in total.

Attachments

• dad pics 003 (800x600).jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 279
  • dad pics 007 (800x600).jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 270
That's a mess. The crosswind has worked well for me so far; seemed like a clean casting. Because I'm eventually going to run a/c with magnum serpentine, I need the air-gap. The thermostat housing is smack in the way.

You will find heated debates that lead to no conclusion on the topic.

Yep it's a mess for sure but can be welded up but would require a bit of work with a die grinder and some machine work on the mating surface after welding

Wall art! Though I have seen JB do some crazy things.

I have a 340 with Magnum heads and a Mopar M1 intake. I just cracked it rebolting it on the heads last night, so now it's junk. I think it was due to having it milled to much to make up for a bad intake to head angle.
Of course the intake I have is no longer made. It was an Mopar M1 dual plane with the Magnum bolt pattern, angled bypass hose fitting and old style t stat. Now I have a few options, an Edelbrock Air Gap or a knockoff cosswinds. The Edelbrock is better quality but the knockoff has the angled bypass.
Anyone have a bad experience with the crosswinds? How about the Edelbrock?

Bring it to me, I'd weld it up and run it no problem. Seriously if you are anywhere near Plainwell Mi. come on over!

I gave up on it. By the time it was welded and machined flat again there wouldn't be any flange left, it would just crack someplace else.
Now i'm looking for a M1 intake and having no luck. I might have to use a Edelbrock Air Gap, which I really don't want to. Anyone have M1 dual plane there not using?

-
Back