I decimated my rear end

-

stroker mike

Reaction score
The new engine isn't even broken in yet, barely 250 miles, I have never even pushed it passed 5000-5200 rpm yet,and I was just leaving a stopligt on santa teresa here in san jose and I heard a snap-ting! sound, and I drove it back home, it was a loud sound, very loud, I heard it twice more and the worst one was pulling into my driveway, as I barely eased it into the garage it SNAP-TING!ed again and that was it. I raised the back end off the ground, put it on some jack stands, put it in neutral and spun the back wheels, the driveshaft doesn't turn, only catches a little with a thunk then settles back, I called rear end specialties and the only thing they have is a rebuilt lincoln versaille 9" for 2000 dollars, hahahaha, not funny, I got like 325. So, I'm locked down for now. I must have done something right with the engine, it's making alot of torque, I guess, enough to bust this cheesy little 7 1/4 rear end. Crap! Aint even broke in yet, I'm so mad! Not a happy moment.

You should know better to try and run a warmed over 360 with a 7 1/4.I would even skip past the 8 1/4 and go straight after a 8 3/4.Problem solved.Here,s an axel from a 8 1/4 s.g with 4.10,s behind a warmed over 340.Lesson learned.:read2:
Picture 010.jpg

Picture 010.jpg

ya...i grenaded the original 7-1/4 in my duster with a stock 318, and 295/50's on the back....on the pedal around a corner, and BANG....tow truck time

My ex exploded the 1 in her 170/6. Took out about 1/2 the ring gear teeth which locked up the rear end.

Ya mine is a 318, too, and I was going around a corner at a stop light, I wasn't even really on it. Just a little. I'm on the hunt now, anyone in nor cal got a rear end?

You might want to pull the trans down, if an auto, and check the sprag for damage.

Did the engine free rev?

The one thing you can not do with the 7 1/4 and any kind of power on it is get the tires turning over while going around a corner. If it hooks those little and I do mean little spyder gears will self destruct. You can get buy if you drive like a granny perhaps. Stock slants kill these rears all the time.

Thats why the 7 1/4 came in slant6 and 318 cars..they weren't made to handle power...

I have Dunlap 265/50's in the back, that didn't help I'm sure. No, it didn't rev free. I have a rev limiter anyway, set at 5500 right now for break in. Its gonna be an ordeal, I looked on craigslist and there's nothing I can afford. Great.

That sucks! Start looking for a rear. I would look at the dana's in the Ford trucks. Cheap and plentifull,just gotta cut it down to fit. Some guys have put 8.8 fords in as well.

I would even skip past the 8 1/4 and go straight after a 8 3/4.Problem solved.

My Demon has broken a few 8 3/4 parts. When DemonDave owned it ('97 to '98 ) he broke an axle with the 5.38 gears. Then he put 4.10's in it and promptly stripped the ring gear. He made one good pig from the two and then blew out the clutch and sold the car.

Two years ago the spider gears let go with the 5.38 gears and the clutches in the sure grip are toast. And I have yet to "dump the clutch" to see what she'll do! I'm cruisin' with 4.56 gears until I get some spider gears and clutches. I think Dr. Diff sells them?

I need to get some new sticky Mickey's, get the carb dialed in and hit the track this year. :cheers: I'm a track virgin, so embarrassing videos will follow. :burnout: :eek:ops:

Wylde1.

I would even skip past the 8 1/4 and go straight after a 8 3/4.Problem solved

Excellent advice,PROPERLY SETUP an 8 3/4 can handle just about anything you put in front of it:-D:-D

I'm lookin for anything that will work, guys, an 8 3/4 preferably but will take 8 1/4 if only for now, I need the car to run. My landlord will have a s**tfit if he see's the duster parked. Anyone who can help, I have alot of great parts and cash.

I'm lookin for anything that will work, guys, an 8 3/4 preferably but will take 8 1/4 if only for now, I need the car to run. My landlord will have a s**tfit if he see's the duster parked. Anyone who can help, I have alot of great parts and cash.
A thought!Put an ad up in the suspension forums..asking for a 8 1/4 or 8 3/4 in your location.State what car you have.:toothy10:

Of course if you can find an 8.75 go for it but don't shy away from an 8.25, they are nearly as strong as the 8.75 and every bit as strong as the Ford 8.8.

Lots of 12 second A-bodies out there with 8.25's.

Here ya go, this was once part of a spider gear. Should I just weld them for now? run a spool? I think I would prob snap an axle, the way this thing is built. My friend said DON'T DO IT but at this point whats the worst that could happen? Wait, don't answer that. I figured it out. :mumum:

0324101354.jpg

dec·i·mate 
verb (used with object),-mat·ed, -mat·ing.
1.to destroy a great number or proportion of.

You lived up to the definition. That sucks. I hope you can find a set up soon !

-RPM

go check pick your part in san jose for an 8 1/4 not the strongest rear end, but better than a 7 1/4. i got mine from hayward pick your part for 90 bucks! just look for a 73-75 dart or valiant. they are still around, and it will get you back on the road. oh yeah you will need to have your driveshaft shortened though.

-
Back