I don't get car poeple at times ?

-

davejc6

Reaction score
Please don't take this the wrong way but?

I don't get why some cars have lots of money in them but not yet finished and told it's not worth the money it has to be sold cheap.
But yet some guy buys a 1000 to 1500$ rust bucket and in the long run spends more time and money just on the rust alone, then it would have took to buy the car almost finished at the price that's been invested in.

Some people take on a bigger challenge than they can chew.

And some people love a big challenge.

I have no idea what I'm doing or why I'm doing it. At least I'm enjoying the ride.

I think the since of accomplishment and sweat equity trump money invested! Craftsmanship is a dying art. It doesn't make sense, but it makes me happy.

With Mopars, sometimes you take what you can get. Back in the days before the internet, it took me five years to find the 67 Coronet 500 convertible I have in my garage. If you want a specific model, color or option combination, you may have to start with a project car. Now in my case, theres also the limited budget. I can't go out and spend tens of thousands on buying a restored car of my dreams. But I can buy a project that gets my foot in the door so to speak. Then over time, collect the parts needed to restore it, and then eventually getting to the actual restoration, maybe even doing the restoration in stages. Thats where I am right now on my 68 Charger RT that I bought almost 20 years ago.
If you are a true Mopar lover, its not about what you can sell it for, its about the love of the car you have, and is more of an emotional attachment.

With Mopars, sometimes you take what you can get. Back in the days before the internet, it took me five years to find the 67 Coronet 500 convertible I have in my garage. If you want a specific model, color or option combination, you may have to start with a project car. Now in my case, theres also the limited budget. I can't go out and spend tens of thousands on buying a restored car of my dreams. But I can buy a project that gets my foot in the door so to speak. Then over time, collect the parts needed to restore it, and then eventually getting to the actual restoration, maybe even doing the restoration in stages. Thats where I am right now on my 68 Charger RT that I bought almost 20 years ago.
If you are a true Mopar lover, its not about what you can sell it for, its about the love of the car you have, and is more of an emotional attachment.

Jim, That is a lot better explanation than mine!

Some people want to do the car from start to finish themselves.
For example, i sold a very rusty '69 A12 6 pack superbee 8 years back to a friend of mine.
It was stripped, no drivetrain, just a rusty shell. He invested over 60 grand in the resto and is very happy and pleased with the outcome. I don't even want to think of how much time alone he spent on it!
It's feels, looks, and drives like a new car today. Believe me, it's NICE!
His reasoning for doing the resto was that he wanted to do it himself, and he always wanted a 6 pack 4 speed bee with the colors and options that it was born with.
Sometimes it's the challenge that attracts people to these types of restos.
if you aren't doing it for the money, it becomes a labour of love.

Hot Rodding is a hobby and hobbies cost money. Very, very seldom can you make money on a vehicle unless it's truly rare and you stole it. I build my cars and trucks to drive and enjoy and it's cheaper to insure and have than a new car. Shoot man, a new car loses 10 to 20 percent of it's value as soon as you drive off the lot.

I get my satisfaction by doing 99% of the work myself and fit the vehicle to my needs.

I can't afford a paint job, the car was picked up in a trade, I have just over 4k into it.

yea.

it's about finding the car U like and then setting it up the way U want=$$$$

In my case, its the love of creating something with MY own hands, not to mention I know it's going to be done right with no short cuts taken. Besides I don't have money coming out of my ears to buy a car already done. I can buy parts here and there as money allows. Not in the hobby to make money or to flip cars, I'm in it for the love of Mopars, and to try to preserve of piece of days gone by that we will never see again.

I don't get why some cars have lots of money in them but not yet finished and told it's not worth the money it has to be sold cheap.
But yet some guy buys a 1000 to 1500$ rust bucket and in the long run spends more time and money just on the rust alone, then it would have took to buy the car almost finished at the price that's been invested in.

well in my case i would like to buy one that has had alot of money invested but not yet finished but unfortunaly they probably between 3000 and 5000 but i cant drop that amout of cash on one because i dont have it

but i can drop 1000-1500 on a rust bucket and put money into it a little at a time thats why i think its hard to decide to buy parts here and there if you have a car to start with

plus i love a challenge and the coments i get from ppl on my hard work theres nothing more satisfiying

can't save enough dough to just buy an almost finished ride and the challenge to build our own car our way is somewhat rewarding,not all people throw cubic dollars at their cars,some of us throw time effort and patients and rebuild every part we can scrounge up,then we drive em like we stole em!!!!

[ame]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=460053922020[/ame]

Attachments

• EX000254new waggin.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 399
  • aftersurgery.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 416
most people don't realize how much money if done little by little... after 2 years its like i spent how much. I rather build the car myself.. done how i want. Plus if you can do the labor for free and have the tools

but i know the feeling of more money then its worth. i have a bit in my vega and is has no resale value.. it was a first car. A lot of stuff got broke or beat on. parts add up. But it dont matter, cause i won't sell it. If you were a flipper good luck

I know that with me, I prefer to buy project cars. I will collect parts for up to 5 years then start to work on them. I enjoy doing the work myself and when the car is done I can say that I did that. I also enjoy the part search. When you find that hard to find part, it gives you a high as if you just fired the car up for first time that you have been working on for years.

Craig

I can't afford a paint job, the car was picked up in a trade, I have just over 4k into it.

yea.

it's about finding the car U like and then setting it up the way U want=$$$$

X2... You can either set on the phone with summit and part warehouses and spend a fortune and lose your *** if you ever try and sell it or you can scrounge every part and deal you can find and keep it semi low budget... Quality of the work makes a cool ride....

most people don't realize how much money if done little by little... after 2 years its like i spent how much. I rather build the car myself.. done how i want. Plus if you can do the labor for free and have the tools

but i know the feeling of more money then its worth. i have a bit in my vega and is has no resale value.. it was a first car. A lot of stuff got broke or beat on. parts add up. But it dont matter, cause i won't sell it. If you were a flipper good luck

Like I said i'm not trying to slam anyone and no i'm not a flipper.
i was just trying to start a conversation and get some insight on this.

trust me i grew up in a garage with my dad and he was like this. i'm better off doing it myself and would spend years doing some projects.

Well...aside from the accomplishment factor, aside from the immediate reward of viewing ones handywork a piece at a time all the way to fully restored and assembled, not to mention the love of the hobby. there is no reason. It has been said hundreds of times and repeated over & over...if you are in this for the money you are in it for the wrong reason and will certainly be disappointed at some point. Even the cars at BJ's & Meacums are often auctioned for a relative loss compared to what it took to build them.... if you were to REALLY total up everything and I mean everything from postage to electricity to light the area you work in.....along with your labor.... ALL of it, researching on the internet, searching for parts, phone calls PMs etc etc and attach an hourly rate to that there is a small fortune invested in each & every one of these vehicles.....the "rarer" or more scarce the vehicle the more the cost.....and Mopar typically had the smallest build & sold numbers of all the big 3...... to your point these people are generally NOT in it for the profit or the "buy driving" they are in it to re-create, to feel the satisfaction of their ability and for the love....
Financially speaking these things are often worth more as parts than fully assembled vehicles.... interestingly enough so are the new cars...the sum of the parts far exceeds the cost of the vehicle.....

Sad but true. The best thing one can do is DRIVE his/her project car. At least that way, you are getting the enjoyment of using it, and practicality of transportation. Makes taking the bath at sale time a lot easier to swallow.

Like I said i'm not trying to slam anyone and no i'm not a flipper.
i was just trying to start a conversation and get some insight on this.

trust me i grew up in a garage with my dad and he was like this. i'm better off doing it myself and would spend years doing some projects.

hey i'm not trying to slam either... but i understand where you are coming from 100 percent. I see customers people a fortune in some of their cars and it would of been cheaper to buy a nice driver/show car done. I can see doing it if you can do the work your self, car has sentimental value etc etc..

the problem now is any of the rarer parts and labor is expensive. Ex. Can buy a semi or nicely done 69-70 amx for around 10,000. To buy a rot box or shell for so much, find a 390, 4 speed, grill.. every part is expensive.

Hey we all have our addictions.... for us on FABO its our cars.... which granted may cost a ton, but I'm sure its still cheaper than cocaine and hookers!!!

Cut, weld, spend! ! ! ! Best therapy on the planet.

Happy Thanksgiving.

I have to buy a bucket of bolts and throw money at it to get it like I want it because I can't afford the already "turnkey" product. I can't drop 40k at once for a 1970 GTX but I can build a 50k GTX over the course of 5 years and have an end product that's more personalized to what I want. Good topic!

I can't add much to what everyone else said.

I can say that it took me 10 years to get mine from a barn pit to a show car and it's still not finished.
I wish I could have afforded to do it much quicker but having 5 kids makes it tough.

Sometimes it is the personal vision we each have about the project and the blood, sweat, laughs, and tears we put into it along the way. Sometimes fighting to get a transmission to go in, laughing at your buddy who spraypainted his pants, or cheering that you finally got that darn dashboard in means more than buying one done.

Sometimes it is the personal vision we each have about the project and the blood, sweat, laughs, and tears we put into it along the way. Sometimes fighting to get a transmission to go in, laughing at your buddy who spraypainted his pants, or cheering that you finally got that darn dashboard in means more than buying one done.

Absolutely! Well said!

-
Back