I don't get car poeple at times ?

-
The wife knows to leave me alone when i am working on the car.Do I need to spell it out. If car was finished I would loose my hideout

............Ive had many mopars over the years, bought in various stages......some were finished, some parts, but as said earlier, its the love 4 our cars that keeps this hobby going.............i know that i'll never b able to finish a hemi car, but my hemi parts will b given 2 some1 when i pass..........................kim................

............Ive had many mopars over the years, bought in various stages......some were finished, some parts, but as said earlier, its the love 4 our cars that keeps this hobby going.............i know that i'll never b able to finish a hemi car, but my hemi parts will b given 2 some1 when i pass..........................kim................

Never say never.

You can finish a hemi car.
My buddy collected his hemi pieces one at a time within the last 10 or so years.

He now has a 67 hemi Belvedere that will be a show stunner when finished, all on a poor man's budget.

it might take me another 10 years but I will have a hemi in my car.

Financially speaking these things are often worth more as parts than fully assembled vehicles.... interestingly enough so are the new cars...the sum of the parts far exceeds the cost of the vehicle.....
Years ago a motorcycle mag proved this very point. Don't remember the specifics but it was a big bore sport bike. Sum of parts was over 50% more than the price of the asembled bike.....kind of shows you how bad we are getting hosed on the parts:toothy10::toothy10:

Well, I can tell you that I love my garage and my Mopars and enjoy spending time out there after the kids and wife go to bed. Put on some good music, get into a project, and stand back and admire a job well done when it's finished. I also get the satisfaction of knowing that I know every inch of my cars, and when something breaks, I can fix it, unlike checkbook boy who paid to have everything done and doesn't even know where the gas goes in!!! Besides I sleep better on cardboard than on that old soft, cushy mattress anyway!!! Geof

I'd say you brought up a topic that everyone loves!!! we like what we do and were here if you need us great topic!!!! it's hard to describe the feelings that go into what we do and sharing in helping someone build a car from the ground up or yanked from the claws of death we all will have an opinion on how it should be done,when I dragged the waggin home from georgia and that Lil' dawg "duster" they gave me with the car It was all fun to piece her back together and there were many friends and family sittin around the garage havin a beer,tellin old stories,laughing and cryin but the car brought em all together,the quality of my cars is limited to my budget and the amount of time I have in between customer work but I get in the beast and take it to the store or to lowes and load her full of lumber,grab up the kid's and the dawgs and the boat and head out to the river.......it's just a car.....the good times that come with building it were the bonus, a scratch here a dent there it's still a kewl old car and I wont complain about the smiles per gallon :cheers:
Please don't take this the wrong way but?

I don't get why some cars have lots of money in them but not yet finished and told it's not worth the money it has to be sold cheap.
But yet some guy buys a 1000 to 1500$ rust bucket and in the long run spends more time and money just on the rust alone, then it would have took to buy the car almost finished at the price that's been invested in.

2 words, new and used. No matter what you spend for this, that, and the other, every part that is removed from the box and bolted on becomes a used part. Value lost. I'll build my own the way I want it and never consider its resale value or keep track of how much I invested.
For most classic car nuts it's not about the money.

Hey we all have our addictions.... for us on FABO its our cars.... which granted may cost a ton, but I'm sure its still cheaper than cocaine and hookers!!!

I guess if I wanna finish my car I better cut back on the hookers and crack smoking, lol!

Aside from the feeling of accomplishment, how many stories do you hear where someone thought they were buying a nice completed or nearly completed car but wound up with a rotbox that was shined up for a quick sale? Happens all the time. The only way to know for sure is if you do it yourself.

I got out of the car hobby for several years due to the cost only to find that my new hobbies were just as costly. I'm a car guy and staying for good!

When I see a old crusty heap, I see it finished the way I would want it. If the basic structure is good and the price is cheap, I leap. See the shiny car in my avatar? That is an example right there. I paid $200 for it. Everyone thought I was nuts when I bought it. It was 3 different colors and covered in surface rust. EVERYTHING is repairable. How much time and money do you want to invest?

2 words, new and used. No matter what you spend for this, that, and the other, every part that is removed from the box and bolted on becomes a used part. Value lost. I'll build my own the way I want it and never consider its resale value or keep track of how much I invested.
For most classic car nuts it's not about the money.
Ditto. And the first question I usually have to answer is "How much did it cost to build it?" I'm still trying to come up with a good clever answer.

I am hoping to put a Hemi in my Dart. I know it is not going to happen over night, but no matter which way I chose it is not going to. 572" Hemi, twin turbo small block, procharged big block, all going to cost a small fortune. Such is life, if I really want it, will just have to be patient.

I bought a car that was hiding in a chicken coop back in '03 for $300.. even done to 100 point original it is not worth half of what i will have in it when i am done but i don't care. I saved up and finally got the body and first paint on a couple years ago and now its sitting while i save and do little things and collect parts. I can't wait to get behind the wheel of that thing and yeah i'll sell it someday to use the cash for my next project but knowing full well im gunna lose huge $!

I believe the problem is that cars became an investment for so many now that its overshadowed the true hobbyist connection and things like Barrett Jackson have been leading that movement. They're meant to be driven and enjoyed, not to sit and become conversation items or real estate. Get them on the road where they belong before they get outlawed completely!

Nice thing about driver cars is you can easily justify taking a loss at sale time. What's the alternative? Buy a late model used car for 15k, and loose 20% per year?

Yeah, I'll have 7 or 8k into my Duster when it's done. And sadly it will probably be a $6k car on a good day. But if I drive it for 5 years, that's better than any late model depreciation.

It is a good topic and one that outsiders to the hobby can't quite grasp. For me mopars was a passion I had as a kid but I never took the time develop any skills. Marriage and kids came along and suddenly I was a 35 year old divorced dad who's only hobby was reliving his college days with booze and women. Albeit a very fun couple of years it's no way to live. I quit drinking and suddenly my love of mopars rose to the surface. The garage became my new weekend destination and I quickly realized that 8:00 on a Saturday morning is hell of a lot more fun than it used to be. More importantly I developed a reputation at my church as "the car guy" and have been able to help quite a few people in various situations get their car back on the road without charging them. THAT ability is worth all the money I have and I wouldn't have it without "blowing" all the money that I have over the years on my cars. I knew going in I wasn't going to make money playing around at it, but I have come away with so much more than hangover!

I would say the top reason is most people cant dish out 10 grand at once. It is easy to put out a grand or 2 and buy as you go to complete a car especially for guys with a family.

-
Back