I Hate the words "Parting Out"

-
i've brought my car back from the dead buying parts from parted out cars and wrecking yards are the same i went to one that had a 68 GTS in it granted the vultures picked it pretty clean and of course it could have been saved but atleast it lives on in other cars giving back there speacial quearks that us mopar people love one thing that kinda gets me is the "Tag switching on to a solid car" or especially "Rebodied" my car has been rebodied but unfortunetly it needed it when it was pulled from its resting spot well the bottom still decided to keep resting so lets say i kept the car and my other rust free straight as an arrow /6 70 dart i used for parts as in cutting the complete floor section from firewall back to tail light frame and inner fenders [ a bodies good on that spot for going goodbye] might have been able to save the core support but someone cut the top part out to get the motor i would have to also cut out the rear window corners and the dutchman panel plus after finding better doors,fenders,hood and choppin of the rear qtrs how much of the originality is left on that 340 swinger? i've seen some crazy a$$ restorations of hemi cars that have needed more than mine and with all of the reproduction parts being made is it a real american piece of iron or is there a hidden little golden tag that says made in china what im kinda gettin to is this, yeah tag swappin is wrong but if you really like that car how far would you go to save it even if its just a 340 car? and not a hemi or a 6 pack plus after all the metal replacing do you get a better gratification knowin [ well i've replaced everything on this car metal wise except for the rear shelf, very top part of the qtrs, and a 3rd of the area where the door hinges goes ] is it still same? as a rebodied car? as for my car yes it has been rebodied and it was a heck of a lot cheaper scavaging a rust free /6 dart then buying numerus patch and replacement panels wire,gas,etc,etc

The way I look at it is if it wasn't for donor cars a lot of us wouldn't be driving the mopars we're driving today.

I parted a wrecked 74 and sold what I didn't need to other people saving there darts.
front74dart.jpg
IMG_0881.jpg

"Junk" , "Salvage" and-or "Parts" cars are a double-edged sword , without a doubt .

I started haunting the pick-a-part salvage yards back in 1987 , when looking for parts for a friend's '73 Duster ( primarily , a replacement diff as the worthless **** 7.25" waste-of-iron was growling ).
I've seen so many cars there that made me want to cry :cry: ; to wit :

- 1970 Charger R/T Hemi :sad7: . It was absolutely destroyed ; rolled-over , crushed roof . I read its v.i.n. : XS29R0G .

- 1970 Duster 340 . 100% complete and untouched . Total sleeper ; stripe-delete , root beer brown , 2-tone medium / dark tan buckets / console , AM-stereo , Super Performance Axle Package , disc brakes , p.s. , deluxe wheel covers :cry::cry::cry:

- Countless 340 Darts , Dusters and Dart Sports in various condition . One of which was : VS29H1E100033 in one-year-only GY3 Curious Yellow . Another was a stripp-o '73 Dart Sport 340 ; column-shift 727 , 3.55's , and little else . Total sleeper in tan / tan / black rubber mats .

- 1973 Road Runner . 400 HP , 4 speed , 9.25" / 3.55's ; black / white interior / red stripes ; AM-FM-Cassette / Recorder ; absolutely loaded .

I could go on , but you get the point .
HATED seeing those -- and more -- cars in the 'yard . However , the aforementioned '70 R/T Charger Hemi was a shadow of its former self :cry::sad7: ; it was completely stripped of all its useful parts .

Some of them were a complete waste ( the aforementioned '70 340 Duster ) and had NO business being there ; others were complete junk , but had many great parts on 'em .

Double . Edged . Sword .

honestly a LOT of cars get parted out (on here even) that are not really in that rough of shape, every one seems to buy a half decent car (about 75% where that want it to be) and has to get a parts car that's only a few steps below the other car, but has a few pieces they need to complete the first.

And yes, there are "dead mopar" parts on my 67 barracuda, but that car was rolled 4 times going down the interstate and I have 3 of the 4 good parts off the entire car.

I don't like seeing restorable performance models get parted.

I don't like seeing nice 4 doors get parted

But you also can't have a car living in your yard forever.

If someone isn't willing to step up and save a car with a cash offer then that car's options are running out.

Some cars are just so far gone that it's time to put them down so other cars may live.

(My attitude has actually changed over the last month. I was once more against parting but now Im like…… Buy it and save it or shut the hell up.)

I think 340plot's avatars are starting to control my mind, Im starting to think the same way he does.

I don't like seeing restorable performance models get parted.

I don't like seeing nice 4 doors get parted

But you also can't have a car living in your yard forever.

If someone isn't willing to step up and save a car with a cash offer then that car's options are running out.

Some cars are just so far gone that it's time to put them down so other cars may live.

(My attitude has actually changed over the last month. I was once more against parting but now Im like…… Buy it and save it or shut the hell up.)

I think 340plot's avatars are starting to control my mind, Im starting to think the same way he does.

Yup if nobody wants to buy it for what it would bring in parts then I say cut er up.

I'm on the fence on this one but what i really don't like is finding a nice a-body in the wrecking yard that someone took a sledge hammer to the dash to remove the steering column or rip the chrome off and break the windshield to get the dash out. I though anybody looking for parts really liked these cars.

I don't have a problem with the words "parting out". The fact is I've scored some pretty decent cars by buying the whole car early in the process of parting it out.

I was able to by a 64 Dart for $200.00, and all that was sold from it was the rear axle and radio! The slant six was blown, but still there as was the push button trans, and the entire rest of a fairly clean body. some surface rust and a few parking lot dings, but no rot and no major damage anywhere.

I rebuilt the engine, and found a "B" body 8 3/4 rear that I had narrowed, and moved the spring perches inward, and it work fine. I even found a stock AM radio for it for $10.00!!!!
I replaced the upholstery on the front bench (rear was OK), new carpet, and mats, headliner, repainted it to original tan and white color, and had AC installed. The "resto" took about 16 -18 months, and when it was done, I drove it for 4 years, and won 2 local trophies with it!

I always go to look at "parting out" cars when I see them advertised locally.

I hate that everyone hates everything, and I hate four door cars..
Only part if it is beyond fixing and a very common car, that way it drives up the value of that car.
hating the words parting out is like hating parts for sale, but I do agree, that if a car is more than 50% there, you shouldn't part it.

Pettybluedart is still trying to save this one. Anyone parting out a Dart so Scott can get some parts for this one?

Attachments

• moparfest 2010 001 (Small).jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 135
  • moparfest 2010 002 (Small).jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 125
Ah,you again(Bill).The funny thing is,I had all the parts to beable to redo this car.Maybe if it was the first 70 340,4 speed Dart ever made.But I passed on it.LOL.

I'm sorry that you hate the phrase(parting out) But the honest truth is that you make a decision with your money.If the guy say's I'll take $2000.00 and you are only willing to give 1500 then you are saying go ahead and part or crush.When you own something it is yours-your decision-noone elses.If you feel he is wrong-BUY IT! If not then you have said in effect-I don't care-but I just want to ***** and complain.When these cars were 2-5 years old you could find them on lots of car lots,behind garages,crashed,shoved in barns so the repo man couldn't find them,and completly trashed.We just look at it different now.

I'm sorry that you hate the phrase(parting out) But the honest truth is that you make a decision with your money.If the guy say's I'll take $2000.00 and you are only willing to give 1500 then you are saying go ahead and part or crush.When you own something it is yours-your decision-noone elses.If you feel he is wrong-BUY IT! If not then you have said in effect-I don't care-but I just want to ***** and complain.When these cars were 2-5 years old you could find them on lots of car lots,behind garages,crashed,shoved in barns so the repo man couldn't find them,and completly trashed.We just look at it different now.

What if the car is only worth $1500? Or you have $1500 period and no more? O the car is overpriced and the owner wont negotiate? Theres more than one person involved here,cmon..if the owner is more conciensious with finding the car a good home and refuses to part it out,even drops the price to make that happen or say pulled out the motor or something to take the sting out. It's just my humble opinion that if you do have a car that is restorable but could also be parted out,then you have the responsibilty of preserving that car. Especially if it is somewhat rare.

I have seen cars being parted here that are EASILY restorable and yet get parted out...this is why I made the decision to fix what I have. Even though it is one of the roughest cars on this board!

These cars are getting real hard to find. I realise that some ARE to far gone to save,but for gods sake,please dont part it because it has some frame rust or something else just as fixable. Maybe a reality check is needed before someone makes the decision to part. Ie;take a look at our canadian cars and then realise what rust really is!!!

What if the car is only worth $1500? Or you have $1500 period and no more? O the car is overpriced and the owner wont negotiate? Theres more than one person involved here,cmon..if the owner is more conciensious with finding the car a good home and refuses to part it out,even drops the price to make that happen or say pulled out the motor or something to take the sting out. It's just my humble opinion that if you do have a car that is restorable but could also be parted out,then you have the responsibilty of preserving that car. Especially if it is somewhat rare.

I have seen cars being parted here that are EASILY restorable and yet get parted out...this is why I made the decision to fix what I have. Even though it is one of the roughest cars on this board!

These cars are getting real hard to find. I realise that some ARE to far gone to save,but for gods sake,please dont part it because it has some frame rust or something else just as fixable. Maybe a reality check is needed before someone makes the decision to part. Ie;take a look at our canadian cars and then realise what rust really is!!!
Your opinion means nothing-your money makes the deal.If you do not own the car,it's not your decision.I certainly wont trash someone because they dont have the knowledge or ability to bring a car back to it's original condition.And it also takes money,if you don't have the 1500 to buy this car,what makes you think that in a year or so you will have the 10000 to fix it?And who would be the resident expert to do the reality check?Lot's of good guys on here but when my money is on the table-I make the decisions.

This thread is starting to get a little liberal sounding. I don't like to see them parted either, really. Having said that, as an owner of these cars, you have one responsibilty...do whatever you darn well please with it.
Build em if you want to, part em if you have to. No one has the right to even complain to you about it.

My wife has asked me a couple times if it bothered me that I was parting out so many cars instead of trying to save them. I thought about it, and yea, sometimes it bothers me that they can't be saved and restored, but it bothers me even more when I know they are going to sit there and rot some more before somebody completely wastes them by calling the scrap haulers to sell it to the crusher. I like to refer to it as "saving" them from their eventual fate anyway, recycling them for re-use. The only difference in my approach is that I strip every useable part on them for the needing public before I scrap an otherwise useless body.

Out of the last 4 cars I've had...The Coronet got saved and sold, I was thinking of saving the Sport Fury, but it was too far gone, the Cuda is rotted beyond repair, and the Dart Sport...well, the picture speaks for itself!!! Geof

Attachments

• 100_2281.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 118
  • 100_2497.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 130
  • 100_2551.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 155
  • 100_2687.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 140
nowdays nothing is to far gone its just to far gone for that owner at that time
but mite not be to far gone for somebody else
i dont mind parting out cars hell i dont mind buying parts cars

nowdays nothing is to far gone its just to far gone for that owner at that time
but mite not be to far gone for somebody else
i dont mind parting out cars hell i dont mind buying parts cars
The words parting out dont bother me because that in some cases is THE ONLY OPTION!! What gets me is the people who bash the person for parting out the car when they should save it but dont want to step up and buy the whole thing and do it themselves!! Cosgig and I had 1 person telling us that exact thing on the 73 Dart Sport, to save it its a cool car and shouldnt be parted, well if you would like to litterly replace every part on the car from front to back, spend 3 times what the car would be worth then by all means make an offer to buy the car or just keep your comments to yourself. Someone right now is parting out a granny dart and got the same thing told to him. Its just rediculous to tell someone to save a car from 6 states away if you have never seen what the true condition of the car is. And all you parting doubters should be happy some people have the initiative to part them out so you can get cheap original parts for your cars!!!

I have parted several just to keep them out of the crusher. Cars that i had no interest in saving. 88 wagoneer, couple of j10s, a 62 chevy truck just to name a few

Parting out is good!
Its starts with the dealer, then selling there old stock parts to make room for the new. As the years go by. The old cars become warn down, wrecked, saved, etc... Then demand picks up from investors wanting to hold on to or appreciate the memories of cars from the pass. The investment of junk becomes valuable. The investment of restored cars are money in the bank now. New dealers form, new after market companies form. Web-sites pop up to help in the process. If you were smart and invested in the old cars or old parts. Then you now, years later, have been a big part of decades of preserving our cars history. I salute the keepers of the old cars and the old cars that got "parted out" I could not of done it with out you making that decision. All though all of the above makes money from all of the above. The endless cycle will continue pass and beyond my years. The endless hours of research, cracked knuckles and money spent on parts, is so well worth it in the end if you own a beautiful old car. I could not of done it with out others like yourselves loving what we do. I don't let the time or money spent bother me. Driving the restored car on a nice sunny day makes it all worth it. I do it for the love!

-
Back