I hate this engine

-

Dennis Gerard

Reaction score
Working on my 66 with the 1971 318 in it, First I found 2 been push rods and then 2 stuck valves, got the fixed ,now it turns over slow and my cables heat up. Firing order is right, #1 top dead center crank on the mark , rotor on number one. got weak spark going to plugs .... fully charged battery

Where should I start to figure this out..

Maybe you burnt the original "DDD Dodge" starter when It was working against the stuck engine with the bent valves.

Try the newer style High Torque faster spinning Dakota starters. They spin faster and their design draws way less power as it's cranking and it turn is able to power a hotter spark.

I put the high torque starters on every mopar I own.

Screenshot_20221002-163456_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20221002-163430_Firefox.jpg

did you bolt the ground cable back on to the head when you had it apart to fix the bent valves? The ground to the firewall also?

How does the engine feel if you turn it over by hand?

Have you tried pulling the plugs and cranking it that way?

Also you can measure the voltage of the battery while cranking. That will tell you a lot about what is going on.

Shop around for the hi tork starters, I found a new one for $50 shipped, yes Chinesiumm

How does the engine feel if you turn it over by hand?

Have you tried pulling the plugs and cranking it that way?

Also you can measure the voltage of the battery while cranking. That will tell you a lot about what is going on.
turns over fast

no plugs means no compression, itll crank fast with no drag. I hated the old gear reduction starters, Wa-wa-wa-wa..... used the Denso starters in everything and sounded like a machine gun compared to a bolt action . Same RAM style starter cranked my slant, my 273, my 340 at one time and even my 451...all at about the same speed!

The way to find out if it's kicking the starter due to timing is to simply ground the coil wire!!!

Maybe the old starter is worn / dragging

Start by clipping your meter on the BATTERY terminals, crank and read the meter while cranking. What does it read? 10V is about absolute minimum

turns over fast
With plugs removed, Right?

The reason I was asking is if the engine is free to spin then it might be too much advance fighting the starter during cranking. (IE not a mechanical issue)

Where should I start to figure this out..
clean and tighten the cable ends, being sure the clamps make full contact on the battery posts. Make sure the starter to BellHouse contact patch is clean and tight. And the BH to block better NOT be painted.
The easiest test, is to just take a Booster cable and clamp it from the Battery Negative to the starter body, somewhere that does Not have paint on it. If it now spins normally, that points straight to a grounding issue.
Having said that,
go back to Post #13

Cranks slow, cables heat up, cooked starter a high possibility.

-
Back