I have a delima and need some expert advise !!

-

73 pro street

Reaction score
I have a 73 Plymouth Valiant Pro Street with ladder bar/coil overs rear suspension with panhard bar. Fully tubbed allowing MT 33x19.5x15 meats in the rear. All powered by a built 408 stroker, 727 w/ 3500 conv. that being said here starts my delima. I recently picked up a Randy's Ring & Pinion "Cone" complete 489 carrier with 3:91 gears for street traveling. After a while I noticed a vibration, not knowing how long the universals were in there for they were replaced. Now I know from experience that turning is not great in this type of vehicile(tracking of the large Mickey's). I now have a horrible clunking noise that is transmitted thoughout the body making the car shudder but as I straighten out it seems to go away. Until I start off in low gear again.. Some say it's the spider gears broken, some say its because of the locker type of carrier and that I would be better off with an "open one legger" (no posi at all) type. I'm not going to race anymore its now for show and cruises and just enjoying driving the beautiful green beast. Help me please, I need to drive this car!!!! :???:

Yep clunking could be broken gears.With such big tires,your either gonna have to go 1 leg peg or smaller tires.either way,it needs the center pulled for inspection.

Not my field of expertise here, but is this a new unit? Did you use an additive in the gear oil? Is it possible it's just tight? I only ask because at work we've installed Detroit Lockers that bark bigtime until they break in some. Like I said, not my area of expertise. Wouldn't think it would hurt to do a drop and see on the center section.

Thanks guys for your input all well taken. The center had 300 miles on it and no chipped teeth on ring or pinion. was checked out and verified before installation. I think for the type of driving I will be doing its time to put it out for "STUD" and go the route of a one legger and just enjoy the ride...........

-
Back