I have front disc brake issue, front spindle mounting bolt hitting sway bar mount on MBM disc brake kit? Need your help

-

J.B.

Reaction score
Another member from 2021 had same issue with his kit as I am having look at photos and read his description, any luck on how to achieve this not hitting sway bar mount, i have a demon 340 car so prefer to not cut off mounts and use aftermarket sway bar if i can avoid it.

IMG_7989.png

IMG_7988.png

NO idea what you are doing. NONE. So let's start with the basics

WHAT make model year car?

WHAT sway bar? and what year? And do / did your lower control arms have the tabs, or what

And WHAT is this brake kit? AKA is it a remake of the popular 73 and later factory style brakes, or something else, and if so, what exactly

I WILL tell you this. Many of us, who converted brakes, in my case 67 Dart + 73/ 74 factory Duster/ Demon brakes, I swapped the spindles and the calipers side for side, so the calipers are at the REAR of the spindles

I have 100 percent same kit issue and car as the photos enclosed from other user why i didnt need to elaborate its a 100 percent identical issue. With that said i will answer you anyways.

I have a 1971 Dodge Demon 340 that came as a factory sway bar car with mounting tabs on the lower control arms. The disc brake kit for the front is a MBM big bolt pattern 73-76 kit. If you refer to my photo in my previous post, when i turn the steering wheel in either direction I get about half the turn radius i should because the spindle mounting bolt hits it side of the mounting tab stopping the movement, as evident by the photo. My question is I cant be the only one with the issue besides the other gentleman who I messaged, but his post was in 2021 and he doesnt say how he fixed the issue, other then stating he resolved the issue. I reached out to him but not sure if he is still an active member getting alerts. So I am looking for someone who knows how to get around that tab, either shortened bolt or different size etc.

Swap the spindles side to side so you can put the calipers on the back side. You will need brake flex hoses from a Volare because the factory "A" body hose won't fit. Make sure you have the bleeder screw facing UP when you bolt them on. Or you can use a shorter bolt through the sway bar but it really sound be level when the vehicle is on it's suspension to operate correctly.

Swap the spindles side to side so you can put the calipers on the back side. You will need brake flex hoses from a Volare because the factory "A" body hose won't fit. Make sure you have the bleeder screw facing UP when you bolt them on. Or you can use a shorter bolt through the sway bar but it really sound be level when the vehicle is on it's suspension to operate correctly.
That is what i have is them swapped so calipers are rear mount , calipers dont hit mounting bolt does. If i swap spindles puts me at front mount same issue but calipers hit

Also using a shorter sway bar mounting bolt has nothing to do with my issue the mounting bolt for the spindle is hitting the lower control arm sway mounting tab

Sounds like your going to have to go to a different sway bar then. '73 and up were shorter IIRC.

Yikes gonna have cut off the tabs and get a Hellwig then poop

The thing is now you've explained, and I had no idea what that kit was UNTIL you explained. The photos, tho, are so small I cannot see a thing. But anyway all I can tell you is

I'm using what seems to be the very same setup except mine was no kit. It was spindles and replacement calipers, off a 73/74, and a 72/ earlier style antisway bar. Is it possible that the bolts for the spindles are not factory, and that the nuts, heads, whatever, are somehow different? I don't remember---can you reverse the bolts?

The thing is now you've explained, and I had no idea what that kit was UNTIL you explained. The photos, tho, are so small I cannot see a thing. But anyway all I can tell you is

I'm using what seems to be the very same setup except mine was no kit. It was spindles and replacement calipers, off a 73/74, and a 72/ earlier style antisway bar. Is it possible that the bolts for the spindles are not factory, and that the nuts, heads, whatever, are somehow different? I don't remember---can you reverse the bolts?
No you can’t reverse someone in other thread said the bolts might be too big compared to 73 bolts, and idea where i can find those bolts

To me it looks like the bolt is too long and the nylock nut which isn’t factory it is too tall

To me it looks like the bolt is too long and the nylock nut which isn’t factory it is too tall
I have seen this as a trend on alot of threads , is there a 1973 nut and bolt i can use? Anyone you know who sells it?

I think your best bet is with @hemi71x he may can help you out with the correct bolts. I may have the bolts I will check but no guarantees I do have a few sets of 73 up spindles laying around so maybe.

72 and earlier cars use the Kelsey Hays 4 piston fixed calipers and a different spindle (iirc) you have converted your car to 73 and later

Yeah thanks for the help all you guys im gonna just cut off the tabs and run an aftermarket hellwig sway bar

Get a shorter bolt and a thinner nut. Clean very well. Use Loctite. Torque to spec plus a bit more for good measure. Go beat on it.

So im basically proper fucked, will cut the tabs off and do aftermarket sway bar
Did you read the thread? The hardware is the issue- use a shorter bolt (or shorten the one you have) and a thinner nut. Or get the attaching hardware from Dr. Diff.

I wrote him that also, in a private message, what you guys are also advising him to do, bolt and nut wise.

Did you read the thread? The hardware is the issue- use a shorter bolt (or shorten the one you have) and a thinner nut. Or get the attaching hardware from Dr. Diff.

Yes hemi71x said pre 73 used 1/2” bolt not 5/8”

-
Back