I just bought a Mandolin.....WTH?

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Don't know why...I like the way it looked. Either my guitarist kid will play with it or Ill pick it up. I don't even know what these sound like....Any players?
662335026133056brnf.jpg

That's kinda cool! Here's mine. I've been playin about ten years or so. Look up "two finger chords". That'll get you started really quick.
DSCF1676.JPG

Ooh, that's the E or A model? With the little curly cue. Did a little reading up on them. It was this one or an acoustic but we got the amps so....Ill let you know when it shows up. Only shipping from 45 miles away in L.A.
twos.gif

I prefer to mic mine, because they "lose" something through a pickup. You may like it, though.

Don't know why...I like the way it looked. Either my guitarist kid will play with it or Ill pick it up. I don't even know what these sound like....Any players?
View attachment 1715812395
It is a pretty one. I know a few guitar cords and own a couple. I have been looking ae electric guitar kits. Thinking it might be fun to build one.

I made a stab "at that" (sorta) and got nowhere

When in high school, I "played at" playing the violin. Mandolins are similarly strung, not sure if they are on the same octave. So I bought a couple of "Ukes" instead and restrung one same as violin GDAE. But I've forgotten pretty much EVERYTHING about violin. And I've got "other things" to do LOL

On thing "I wish" is that I'd been able to take piano at some point. When I was in high schoole (graduated '66) "they" would have taken any "boy" taking piano out and beat them sensless---every week

Now of course we have these marvelous portable keyboards--and some of them pretty good and pretty small and light for the (used) money they cost.

I've got an 76 key Yamaha keyboard (PSR-GX76),
rooster.co.uk%2Fimages%2Fyamaha-psr-gx76-portable-keyboard-x-frame-stand-used-p37928-64672_image.jpg

it's old (20 years at least) but its packed with voices, instruments and beats. Fun to play around with but I know zip about reading music, and that was after 'playing' French Horn for at least 2 months in 4th grade and Mom being a Piano teacher! My oldest sat down on it one rainy Saturday and was playing music from a simple song book by noon! Wife plays piano, middle boy plays guitar pretty good, I can only play "Peter Pumpkin Eater" with one finger.

I have a hard time playing the radio so music is impossible for me. My son however is very talented at guitar. Plays lead in a bar band called Overfueled

As far as the sound, Led Zeppelin "Battle of Evermore" will give an example of the sound. I think JPJ played the part on the album, but there is video of Page playing it back in the 2000's sitting outside Headley grange. Another good example is Rory Gallagher at the beat club there is a song that he plays mandolin on...I think the song is "Going to my Hometown"...

My kid loves the "Oh brother where art thou" soundtrack...some deep bluegrass on that.

I played a little mandolin in the early 1980s when I was living in Southwest Virginia. The old saw then was: "Mandolin players spend half their time tuning and the other half playing out of tune... :lol:

I love mandolins just for the look of them iv finist my music room a while ago rock on dudes

Resized_20211022_131557.jpg

Resized_20211022_131524.jpg

Look up Mike Guggino. I will be the first to admit that Newgrass doesn't excite me however I have seen this group live twice and they will knock your socks off.... The last time Nicki Sanders (Fiddle) and Mike played off each other in a battle and I have to say it's a top 5 live performance I have ever seen....

This video does not do them justice but that's how it goes for most bands.....

JW

Look up Mike Guggino. I will be the first to admit that Newgrass doesn't excite me however I have seen this group live twice and they will knock your socks off.... The last time Nicki Sanders (Fiddle) and Mike played off each other in a battle and I have to say it's a top 5 live performance I have ever seen....

This video does not do them justice but that's how it goes for most bands.....

JW

I'll stick with Classic Rock thanks

Doesn't Steve Martin play with the Steep Canyon Rangers occasionally?

-
Back