I just dont get it???????

-

XtechX

Reaction score
As some of you know, I've been chasing front suspension issues (It wont align). I have some more information that might help someone diagnose whats going on. Myself and and another guy were trying to adjust the toe in on the car, we would measure with a tape from wheel to wheel and then I would drive the car back and forth and then measure again and it would be way off. We finally noticed why, the passenger wheel was cambering in when I would pull backward and then camber way out when I would pull foreward ????? I dont undersatnd how its doing it?? Everything is tight, especially the camber adjustment bolts, It just doesnt make sense!! I did take the top ball joint out because I seen it shucking a very little bit (like it wasnt tightend down all the way), It almost looks like the uca threads are abit stripped, but that isnt why its toe ing like its doing. I tightened it back up for the time being, plus Im thinking that I might get those fancy uca's with the extra caster and also the adjustable strut rods, just to eliminate possibilities. Just to bring some up to speed about the car, 68barracuda fb, all new everything in the front suspension, I didnt put it together, I bought it that way, its been about 2 months and I still cant figure it out.
Any ideas????? :banghead:

Well SOMETHING has to be loose/ worn/ broken.

Jack it up and support the lower control arm, so that the weight is on the arm. Then get in there with a crowbar and pry and try to move things.

Ball joints, control arm bushings, could be anything. And don't assume that what you "see" is the TOP fo the tire moving. Something on the bottom may be moving, giving you an illusion.

Please check this area at the rear of the x-member closely on both sides.

The x-member pictured below was not only broken, but missing the factory sleeve which is welded to the rear of the x-member to keep the pin centered.

It was mentioned several times in your other thread and again by Oklacarcollecto above........

Attachments

• Broken Crossmember 002.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 283
I was having the same issue, everything on the front suspension was brand new, turned out to be a bad lower ball joint. Even new parts can be defective.

Ok, ill check all this stuff out and the pic helped me understand what people were talking about.

Please check this area at the rear of the x-member closely on both sides.

The x-member pictured below was not only broken, but missing the factory sleeve which is welded to the rear of the x-member to keep the pin centered.

It was mentioned several times in your other thread and again by Oklacarcollecto above........

Thanks for adding the picture. I missed his other thread on this.

Some of these pictures should be grouped and done as a sticky so they would be easy to find.

I have seen slightly too much toe in cause this issue. It pulls the front end down when rolling forward.

The picture picture posted by 6pack shows you where I would look that factory sleeve breaks the welds and gets real loosey goosey feeling on the road!

I've seen the LCA pivot shaft and the hole in the K worn severly egg shaped. When assembled its nearly impossible to see. You can put a crowbar between the K and the arm and make it move around.
When I see a parts wanted post for just 1 pivot pin I have to suspect they need K member repaired also. A good round pin in the egg shaped hole is the shade tree repair.

-
Back