I learned my lesson today

-

PanGasket

has cork sides
Reaction score
Never be embarrassed of your mistakes. It only hurts you to hide them

I've always had this problem, if I screwed up up, I'd avoid telling it because I'd be ashamed. I was installing an oil pressure gauge on my truck and when removing the fitting into the block, I came to see it was almost completely round. I racked my head trying to think of a way to get it out. I had told RustyRatRod I had got the new sensor in, but I was still trying to get this fitting out. I shot him a message and told him I was embarrased to admit I had goofed up. Right as I sent it, a socket that I was gonna try popped right on to the fitting and managed to hold tight as I slowly eased it out.

Here's a pick of the trouble maker.
ab0jYY8.jpg

RustyRobRatRod(lol), knows his stuff,bar none. And good work,the smallest details,take the most time. BTW,have to deal with,a similar situation tomorrow....

Hey there is nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed when you make a mistake that is how we learn. Glad Rob was able to help you.

A highly exceptional ,intellectual person,who tells it like it is.Hello TX,hope all is well.

Dang, it's my job as a toolman to say something. That old wrench and a claw hammer are two tools you shouldn't use on a brass fitting. LOL

We've all done stuff we don' wanna admit

Some of us have done a little more, LOL Hence my signature

RustyArab? No...He is white isnt he? Bad joke? off color? <shrugs>

Dang, it's my job as a toolman to say something. That old wrench and a claw hammer are two tools you shouldn't use on a brass fitting. LOL
was gonna use the hammer to try and smack socket onto the fitting. and that wrench was gonna get bent to install the new bell style unit but I then realized it was a 9/16ths wrench. not a 1/2"

I confused again.
What was your screw up other than saying you had completed the job when the old fitting was still in place?
Did you "round it off" yourself by using the wrong socket?
I'm proud of my mistakes due to their rarity.
Well, I don't mind admitting them anyway at work anyway.
To make no mistakes, do nothing.
Where is my "Don't rush me. I need time to F it up" bumper sticker?

Oh and by the way.
I hope you are not using a claw hammer to hit metal stuff.
It has a hardend surface and can chip fracture and put your eye out.
That's the theory.
Get a ballpeen.

Glad to see it is dun and behind you PanGasket, If anyone don't make mistakes there not doing anything :D, again , thank you for a job well dun for RustyRatRod , thank you :notworth:

Those fittings that come with most mechanical oil pressure gauges are junk anyways. So it's probably not entirely your fault that it got all rounded off.

A highly exceptional ,intellectual person,who tells it like it is.Hello TX,hope all is well.

LOL Thanks, but opinions vary.

I gotta tell yall, PanGasket is a sharp kid. Having never done anything like it before, he rebuilt the entire top half of his engine all by himself. I did answer his questions and point him in the right direction, but he turned all the wrenches himself. He got his truck running great. Got the cam broken in right and now has a reliable daily driver. I'm really proud of him.

Those fittings that come with most mechanical oil pressure gauges are junk anyways. So it's probably not entirely your fault that it got all rounded off.

I don't know about that but a LOT of "hardware" nowadays, and brass fittings have all become suspect, is that the damn things are not US wrench sizes when they are supposed to be SAE fittings!!!!

When I "did" my brakes, I bought some fittings to plug the lines. I've got two "identical" 3/16 inverted flare unions, and neither one fits a U.S. wrench, unless you want to count a crescent.

That's why I have a set of these laying around, these guys have got me out of some sticky situations. http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRAFTSMAN-5...69320525?pt=US_Hand_Tools&hash=item19e235364d

I need to get me a set of those. I actually forgot completely about those

I confused again.
What was your screw up other than saying you had completed the job when the old fitting was still in place?
Did you "round it off" yourself by using the wrong socket?
I'm proud of my mistakes due to their rarity.
Well, I don't mind admitting them anyway at work anyway.
To make no mistakes, do nothing.
Where is my "Don't rush me. I need time to F it up" bumper sticker?

Oh and by the way.
I hope you are not using a claw hammer to hit metal stuff.
It has a hardend surface and can chip fracture and put your eye out.
That's the theory.
Get a ballpeen.

I stripped it when I put it in because it was such a soft fitting.

The clawhammer wasn't used at all. if it was, it was gonna be used to smack an extension and socket onto the fitting, gently of course.

Glad to see it is dun and behind you PanGasket, If anyone don't make mistakes there not doing anything :D, again , thank you for a job well dun for RustyRatRod , thank you :notworth:
Yeah me too. I can only think of a handful of stuff that has given me headaches like this.

It takes a good man to admit when he's wrong.......
Cudos to you.

Gramps taught me the wisest man is the one who knows when to admit he is wrong.
yep. never will another one touch my engine
LOL Thanks, but opinions vary.

I gotta tell yall, PanGasket is a sharp kid. Having never done anything like it before, he rebuilt the entire top half of his engine all by himself. I did answer his questions and point him in the right direction, but he turned all the wrenches himself. He got his truck running great. Got the cam broken in right and now has a reliable daily driver. I'm really proud of him.
Thank you Rob, you know I am quite proud of it :rock:
I don't know about that but a LOT of "hardware" nowadays, and brass fittings have all become suspect, is that the damn things are not US wrench sizes when they are supposed to be SAE fittings!!!!

When I "did" my brakes, I bought some fittings to plug the lines. I've got two "identical" 3/16 inverted flare unions, and neither one fits a U.S. wrench, unless you want to count a crescent.
I've seen that a few times. todays quality control is in the gutter:wack:

-
Back