I Need Help!

-

ereru7

Reaction score
I purchased an low mile 1983 dodge diplomat and took out the 318. I also purchased a 4 speed out of a 1972 dodge challenger. i want to put the 4 speed behind the 318.( I SCRAPPED THE DIPLOMAT/ I AM PUTTING THE MOTOR/TRANS IN MY 38 HOT ROD)

So with that being said, will the crank need drilled out or will the 4 speed fit? i know 1983 had dodge trucks with manual transmissions, but unsure if the 1983 diplomat will have a drilled crank.

Someone mentioned that if it does fit the crank needs to be rebalanced for the fly wheel or it will not hold.

I hope not the whole purpose of the motor was to not rip it apart it is a low mile motor. please any help will be very appreciated.

The engine with the added weight will viberate and shake severly, making it vertually undriveable.

It's not the back of the crank it's the amount of weight of the counter weights thats different and then if you find one thats for a 4 speed then the counter weights will have to be adjusted for the rods and pistons. So either way the crank will have to be balanced.

well anyone want a 4 speed??? haha automatic here i come

As far as the input shaft of the trans goes, I sold a '68 318 to a buddy to resurrect his '66 Barracuda S. He ended up using an adapter bearing to use a 4 speed with the crank drilled to the AT pilot.

As far as engine balance goes... if a convertor can have balance tabs on it, why couldn't an flywheel have an offset balance?

What about a flywheel from an '80's truck?

-bill

I'd try and find out if an 83 318 is internally or externally balanced. If its internal, then a neutral (zero) balance flywheel should work, otherwise you need a specially balanced flywheel specific for your application.

Most of the 318's I've seen apart, had a pilot hole in the crank - but having said that, the ones intended for automatics are not usually machined large enough for the bronze pilot bushing. But never fear - in this case what you would want is a roller pilot bearing, these use the torque converter register in the crank instead of the smaller pilot hole - this is a part that mopar started using in their production cars and trucks sometime in the 90's (IIRC). Thats what I am using in my dart instead of the bushing.

Good hunting !

-
Back