I need opinions. Please all with one answer.

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a chance to pick up a 8.75 rear from a 66 Belvedere very cheap. It has a 741 center section. Do you think it is worth a 7 hour drive to pick it and a gas tank up for 75 bucks. I know gears are hard to get for this thing, so if anybody knows where I could get a set of 3.91's or 4.10's for it then that might make up my mind.

Thanks

Jack
:scratch:

Well the rear will be to wide to use unless you have rims with alot off backspacing. If its a 741 case it probably only has 2.73s or 3.23 in it. 3.91 and 4.10s are hard to find new for that case but you can get 3.73s for them.

If the gas tank is in good shape and you need one its worth $75 but 7hrs is along ride. If you go for the tank take the rear.

Is that 1 answer ? :D

I recently drove from NYC to the edge of Rhode Island to save $200 on a pair of quarter panels.... Cost me $50 between gas,tolls, and lunch. Did I mention it was pouring raining?

I'd think about it. If you need the tank and/or rear, go for it. If it's "too good to pass up...." I'd pass on it.

That's my dilemma Adam. I do need a gas tank, and they are not cheap. The difference in the rears is about 1.5 inches wider on both sides, plus I have to move the spring perches half an inch each. I know where there is a ford 9" for free so I may go that route. These damn rearends are going to drive me nuts. :geek:

Jack

I had a set of 3.91's in my first 741 Case they where fun in town but useless for any highway drive over 20mins. I had another 741 rebuilt with a set of 3.55's and no regrets.

Jack, as far as the gas tank? unless it is new and never used I wouldn't do it. They aren't that expensive new and you might as well spend a little extra and get something you can be sure of. Remember most people who are selling used gas tanks don't have a real good opinion on what's good and what's not. Besides that, unless he turned it inside out how does he know how good it is?

The axle housing is a toss up in my opinion, and the 741 is a definate NO. If you are gonna make any kind of HP it will be the weak link and you will want to play with gear's down the road. Find a 742 or 489. I don't mean to burst your bubble but I wouldn't drive 7 hours if the stuff was free. JMO

Rear ends have alway drove me nuts.
Especially in a tight pair of Denim shorts :bootysha: =P~ .
Is that 7 hours both ways or just one?

741 cases arent as week as people say they are. The pinion diameter is smaller then the 741 and the 489 I believe and thats why people say they are week. Theyre still larger then a ford 9"

That 7/8 hour drive is one way. I would be close to Adams at the other end of it. :shock:
I agree, those rears in tight jeans have always driven me nuts to. LOL

Jack

14/16 hours ! Forget it. Not worth the ride. Figure 75 for an iffi tank $60 for fuel, a couple of meals your halfway to a brand new fuel tank.

Yes, definately go with a new tank. Last used tank I bought looked great,
didn't have rust anywhere. Never leaked till I filled it with gas above the seam. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr :evil:

-
Back