I tell ya guys, it's awesome living next door to a retired fabricator/welder guy.

-
Yeah, the older I get the more I think about , --------------- is this going to hurt !?!
I already know its gonna hurt-do i go on or change my approach is what i ask myself.

Years ago I was cutting re-bar with a torch. No glasses. Don't need them. What could happen? Anybody cutting re-bar knows better. So did I, but won't take long. It didn't. BAM! A void in the forming of the re-bar caused it to explode, splatter... Where did it hit. On my face on my eyelid. I stumbled around the corner to the restroom and looked in the mirror. Left eyelid was cauterized to my cheek. Big black scab. How it missed going directly in my eye I'll never know, but was thankful. I took hold of eyelid and cheek and separated them. Ugly red mark. Done for the day. Know better next time. WRONG. Two weeks later doing the same thing, only this time my right eye. Again no permanent damage. Thankful. BUT, from that point on, goggles when cutting or welding. The only problem I have is when stick welding or subarc. When breaking the slag, first chunk would always lands on my nostril area. So wear a helmet with flip-up lens.

My neighbor is a ****** addicted merh manufacturing drug dealer that lets fresh out of prison fellow drug addicted losers set up tents or derelict vehicles to live in on his property. They take ***** over there and fling it over the fence to my yard. I've had to turn him in for strong meth smells when they are cooking over there. Once they had a nether trailer burst into flames at 2 AM in the morning. Heard a bunch of yelling and screaming that thankfully woke me up and I called the fire department. My wife was screaming to run for the car and leave before an explosion took out the neighborhood. I have to chase the crackheads out of my driveway trying to steal my car batteries, fuel, chicken eggs, garden vegetables. It's why we bought a great dane that is now 156 pounds of guard dog, and a six foot cedar fence surrounding that part of the property. Safety equipment, ppe, or not. Your neighbor is a great man and a God send. Try having my neighbors, who unfortunately inherited the place after the dad died. They have no garbage service, so rats are bad, no power, water or working septic. The neighborhood and I have been pushing the county to do something/anything. Finally the lazy *** code enforcement guy retired and the new gal is hellbent on a mission to get them gone.

Talked a little more to my neighbor, and no, he doesn't usually use goggles or a hood cutting with oxy/acetylene. Then he went on about UV vs. Infrared light, and what scale of protections are needed for various welding situations... my eyes glazed over after about 8 minutes. This guy is anything but an idiot. He also said 'that guy needs to get back in the closet so he can kiss his goggles some more'.
Then he should have known that a professional would use a #5 shade lens in your goggles for oxy/acetylene cutting.
But he's too ''tough'' for that.
What a man.................

Not every situation leaves itself open for an opportunity to criticize. I am not taking sides here, there may be some things, or attitudes that we can all change. This was a positive post about a good person helping his neighbor, that turned negative real quick. Sad, this type of thing happens way too much here.

Yep, humans tend to be critical. I always wonder why everyone is not perfect LIKE me!! ha

I agree, I good post, about cool neighbor. I agree it is dangerous to cut without googles, but I admit I have done the same thing, Just for a second. What can it hurt!? Yes I know better.

OP, I still want to see his crafts after done!!!

Yes I have a HF welding helmet, I hear it is inadequate! Someone send me some $$ for a better one!! Thanks ha

Yep, humans tend to be critical. I always wonder why everyone is not perfect LIKE me!! ha

I agree, I good post, about cool neighbor. I agree it is dangerous to cut without googles, but I admit I have done the same thing, Just for a second. What can it hurt!? Yes I know better.

OP, I still want to see his crafts after done!!!

Yes I have a HF welding helmet, I hear it is inadequate! Someone send me some $$ for a better one!! Thanks ha
Mopart
The kind of **** my neighbor does.

I have a super-cool retired neighbor, he is an excellent machinist, had made me several fabricated parts for my project over the years.
A co-worker has me beat though, he collects Lotus 7's, he bought a wrecked one with alot of racing pedigree, his neighbor was a retired sheet-metal worker, the guy basically made an entire Lotus body out of aluminum.
My co-worker says he works for beer, and he makes sure his shop fridge is full for him.
Lotus 7's are alot rarer than Shelby cobras.

Wow this thread went ****. Moparpurist, I feel for you. I think I’d have to solve that problem my way lol... good luck.

My neighbor is a ****** addicted merh manufacturing drug dealer that lets fresh out of prison fellow drug addicted losers set up tents or derelict vehicles to live in on his property. They take ***** over there and fling it over the fence to my yard. I've had to turn him in for strong meth smells when they are cooking over there. Once they had a nether trailer burst into flames at 2 AM in the morning. Heard a bunch of yelling and screaming that thankfully woke me up and I called the fire department. My wife was screaming to run for the car and leave before an explosion took out the neighborhood. I have to chase the crackheads out of my driveway trying to steal my car batteries, fuel, chicken eggs, garden vegetables. It's why we bought a great dane that is now 156 pounds of guard dog, and a six foot cedar fence surrounding that part of the property. Safety equipment, ppe, or not. Your neighbor is a great man and a God send. Try having my neighbors, who unfortunately inherited the place after the dad died. They have no garbage service, so rats are bad, no power, water or working septic. The neighborhood and I have been pushing the county to do something/anything. Finally the lazy *** code enforcement guy retired and the new gal is hellbent on a mission to get them gone.
Wow... I hope things get better for you.

Hey guys, I talked to Mr. B (my neighbor) a little more about safety, and I think he took it to heart... I got this shot of him grilling a hot dog for dinner.

IMGP6260-res.jpg

Not every situation leaves itself open for an opportunity to criticize. I am not taking sides here, there may be some things, or attitudes that we can all change. This was a positive post about a good person helping his neighbor, that turned negative real quick. Sad, this type of thing happens way too much here.
I'm ok with constructive criticism.. in fact I invite it. They could have said the same thing, without being jerks.. "ya know, he probably should have goggles on" would have made the point (and yes, it's a valid one). Where it crossed the line for me was an attack on a personal level. I haven't been a member long, but reading through posts on here, I have to agree with you that it happens often. There are a lot of great people here... and the knowledge is incredible! It's an awesome resource.

That said, I'm about done with this site.

Since i started wearing reading glasses, i dont think i have got a welders flash.
I have been forced to weld without a helmet on occasion, as my head would barely fit. Weld with eyes closed and hope for the best.
Outdoors with a torch, and glasses on, not great, but not the worst i have seen.

Bet the guy could carve your name out of 1/2” plate and have nearly no cleanup. Welders generally have a very steady hand.

Since i started wearing reading glasses, i dont think i have got a welders flash.
I have been forced to weld without a helmet on occasion, as my head would barely fit. Weld with eyes closed and hope for the best.
Outdoors with a torch, and glasses on, not great, but not the worst i have seen.

Bet the guy could carve your name out of 1/2” plate and have nearly no cleanup. Welders generally have a very steady hand.
I have no doubt he could do that.

Thank you for that. I think it will get better in time. I've been here for 15 years and it hasn't yet. But I remain optimistic. Lol.
And it never will get better in places like you're in, if people don't stand up and try to make it better,and it sounds like you're doing that.. and for that, I thank you. I don't know what I can do for you, but if there's anything I can, please let me know.

I'm ok with constructive criticism.. in fact I invite it. They could have said the same thing, without being jerks.. "ya know, he probably should have goggles on" would have made the point (and yes, it's a valid one). Where it crossed the line for me was an attack on a personal level. I haven't been a member long, but reading through posts on here, I have to agree with you that it happens often. There are a lot of great people here... and the knowledge is incredible! It's an awesome resource.

That said, I'm about done with this site.

This is my favorite site. I used to frequent bbodiesonly, I made a joking statement about something, (don`t remember), a moderator got on and thot he was going to chew my *** out, I told him I didn`t need his simple sh--, or that site at all, haven't logged on since. Some people-----------------------------------------!~!!

And it never will get better in places like you're in, if people don't stand up and try to make it better,and it sounds like you're doing that.. and for that, I thank you. I don't know what I can do for you, but if there's anything I can, please let me know.
Hey, i apologise to you and your neighbor for by brash comments about the use (or lack of it) of ppe.
I suppose it wasn't any of my business if he chooses to potentially lose his eye sight or set a good example for everyone.
After all, it was for an art project, not serious fabrication at an industrial site.
That being said, i have witnessed dozens of industrial accidents (some very serious) in my day that were easily preventable by people not using simple ppe.
And many were people that were trained skilled professionals doing one more quick cut that they missed or a job that would only take a minute.
Please accept my apology, and i will keep my thoughts and comments on this topic to myself from now on.

Hey, i apologise to you and your neighbor for by brash comments about the use (or lack of it) of ppe.
I suppose it wasn't any of my business if he chooses to potentially lose his eye sight or set a good example for everyone.
After all, it was for an art project, not serious fabrication at an industrial site.
That being said, i have witnessed dozens of industrial accidents (some very serious) in my day that were easily preventable by people not using simple ppe.
And many were people that were trained skilled professionals doing one more quick cut that they missed or a job that would only take a minute.
Please accept my apology, and i will keep my thoughts and comments on this topic to myself from now on.
It wasn't so much the criticism, as how it was said. Mr B. (my neighbor.. I'm getting tired of trying to remember how to spell neighbor correctly), said as much to me.. "I probably should have said 'Kids, don't try this at home' ", and I also think it's valid point to have been made.
Where do you draw that line though? I'm sure none of us have ever smoked the tires in town.. you could put a kids eye out with a rock doing that. I'm sure none of us have ever exceeded the speed limit. Those are things that endanger others, not just yourself.. and I'm willing to bet we all have done those.
It helps a little knowing where you're coming from... a little of that, and a 'hey, he probably should have goggles on' would have sufficed.

I accept your apology.

Let's move on, and get back to helping each other out, and having fun on here. :)

That guy doesn't know ****. Totally wrong flame for hotdogs.
He had roasted a chicken leg before this, which requires more acetylene to seal in the juices, and forgot to readjust for a hot dog. He apologizes, and hope nobody makes this same mistake. :)

-
Back