I think I got hosed by a fabo member?

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusterdude72

IN MOPAR MUSCLE MAGAZINE
Reaction score
(EDIT) (this was a good guy alert but I have changed the title of the thread)

I recently purchased a brake booster and master cylinder for my duster from a fellow fabo member .

Other than a little lack in communication he was pretty good to deal with.

Pricing was fair.....took about 3 days to ship from the time he shipped it out.

I took a quick look at it and it looks ok....alot of surface rust but I will inspect it more later and let everyone know how it looks.

He packaged it up very nicely.....a nice large comfortable box.....he used those bubble bags to cushion any impact AND he used packing peanuts.

Well......Im sorry to say that I think I may have been boned.

I took the booster out of the box and upon closer inspection noticed the extent of the rust.

I was told it was last on a vehicle in 2008 and was in working order but to be honest it does not look like it has been on a vehicle or used in 15 years.

The master cylinder is full of a good 1/8th to 1/4" of rust....which normally would not be a problem because I would just swap to a new master cylinder BUT the bolts that are inside the brake booster that the master cylinder mounts to are so rusty that there are no longer any threads and the heads of the nuts have rounded from being so corroded .....also when I flipped the booster upside down.....a bunch of brown water poured out of the vacume port on the booster.

I am going to contact the guy I bought this from and hope that he makes it right and is willing to refund my money and I will send the booster back to him.

Thats $50.00 I can not afford to waste on something I can not use.

What do you guys think? am I wrong for wanting my money back? If I had a good stack of paper I think I would have just scored a good deal on a heck of a weight but I need a booster and master....not a paper weight

Im so frustrated and I am waiting for him to email me back....I hope he is the reasoning type and willing to fix the issue:dontknow:

I would feel the same way, You made it clear that you needed a working Booster :read2:
It's time for him to man up and learn this is not what he said it was and learn from it..... :happy10:
Yes sir reee bob :angry7:I would be looking for a refund 8)
Reputation can be fixed here now!!
if he cares about his name in the sales world :read2:

Just my opinion but give em a chance to make it right before you go bad mouthing anyone .If someone repeatedly ignores your requests or is unreasonable then call them out publicly. My .02C

I think I would have tried to work it out with the seller before I announced it to the world. If it's junk and and he won't do anything for you, then yes, tell all who will listen to stay away from buying from him but at least give him a chance to make it good first.
Thanks, Mark

Just my opinion but give em a chance to make it right before you go bad mouthing anyone .If someone repeatedly ignores your requests or is unreasonable then call them out publicly. My .02C

I am not bad mouthing....I never once said he was a bad guy or said that he would not give me a refund.

I am just saying I HOPE that he replies to my email and is willing to work this out.

I am just waiting for an email response so I can figure out what is going on and when I find out if he is willing to work with me I will gladly update everyone and let them know that he was a good enough person to do so.

but at the same time I think the rest of fabo should be aware of the situation just in case.

I have seen things like this happen alot lately on fabo .....alot more than it should any how....and I hope this is not the case.

Don't bash on dusterdude. This thread has been up for a bit as a GOOD GUY post. It's only right that he changes the jist of the thread now that he realizes that the parts are junk. He even removed the seller's name.

Grant

You should really at least make an attempt at working things out with the seller before posting about the person.

After all……. The thread title is "I think I got hosed by a fabo member?"

Why post a thread about " a possible bad deal"!?
For sure talk to him first, WTF?

This was a good guy alert.

I changed it for the time being until i figure out a few things.

just because I changed it from a good guy alert does not mean I am saying it is a bad guy alert its is just in limbo until I see how things play out.

as I had mentioned before...I have emailed him but he has not yet emailed me back.

It's all ready clear to me he sent Dude a untested and clearly did not know what he has dun, I hope he jumps in and understands more about a booster being represented wrong and refund Dude

Don't bash on dusterdude. This thread has been up for a bit as a GOOD GUY post. It's only right that he changes the jist of the thread now that he realizes that the parts are junk. He even removed the seller's name.

Grant

Thanks you oneofmany.....I think alot of people were missing the points that you had made.

x2 give him ample time to respond, some people travel or otherwise can be away from their computer for days. This brings to mind a similar situation all got sorted out in due time.

If the part is not usable he should take it back and refund your money...chances are he will do just that...most people on FABO are reasonable...not worth losing his reputation over a relatively small-dollar item.

Dude,saying...you think you got boned?Is close enough to bashing IMO.Give the guy a chance to respond to your e-mail and see if he,ll take it back and give you a full refund.

I think the only way a booster could get in the condition you describe,is to be sitting outside for many years with no hood.Or it,s off a very rotten car?Hope this all works out for you.:clock:

Here is what poured out of the vacume port of the booster
DSCI1068.jpg

You can kind of get an idea of how rusty the master mounting bolts are....rusty enough that the threads have literally been ate away by rust
DSCI1067.jpg

inside of the master (this is even after I shook alot of the loose rust out of it)
DSCI1056.jpg

close up
DSCI1059.jpg

Just my .02, but dot 3 brake fluid is silicone based and therefore inherent to water retention. The reason I say this is because ...it was stated that the Booster was used last in 2008. And that is entirely possible, as I have issues with my calipers "Kelsey Hayes" seizing-up every 2 years or so due to corrosion, and I last used mine in 2009. And the color of that fluid coming out of the lines...sure ain't clear, and I keep (or try to) keep my car in top shape.

The rust in the master cylinder, is no surprise, it takes no time for the cast iron to rust with no fluid in it.
But the entire unit...is in pretty rough looking shape, I'd have to say.

Don't bash on dusterdude. This thread has been up for a bit as a GOOD GUY post. It's only right that he changes the jist of the thread now that he realizes that the parts are junk.

Inspect the parts before posting a "GOOD GUY" alert, just a thought.

Is a "GOOD GUY" alert necessary every time someone buys a part on the site??? I think maybe we need to raise the requirements for a good guy alert, someone who ships the part before they get payment, someone who throws in an extra part they know you need, someone who just gives you a part that they have and they know they will never use it, someone who makes a trip to the junk yard and gets a part for you knowing that there is nothing at that yard that they need, someone who sells you a part for a great price knowing they could get 50% more if they sold that part on e-bay. In my opinion these are examples of going above and beyond the responsibilities of a normal seller and would earn or even require a good guy post. I think for the most part we are all good guys here... aren't we??

If you want to make a post and let people know that you got a needed part or a new toy in the mail make a post about it, but I say lets reserve the "GOOD GUY" posts for the real "GOOD GUYS". I'm not trying to bag on anyone here or bring anyone down, this is just my opinion, and you all know what they say about opinions.

i leanred dont say things ur not able to back up i think it looks like u got hosed but when i said i got hosed. many ppl said thew other guys not to blame that u took the chance suck it up w/e it was lame just a WARNING.

well...I think its a good idea to post a good guy alert as often as possible.

people want to know the track record of the peopel they are dealing with and know there money is safe and if they have a history of selling good parts.

without any good guy alert for people to do a search on.....alot of people would be taking a shot in the dark on what they are buying.....and on a website that is unlike a store and does not have a checkout system the more info you can get to let you know that you are making a secure deal....the better ... ( I THINK )

plus alot of people who have not been members for long and have not bought and sold parts before on here....you don't know what kind of track record they have if someone thought that a good guy alert was better reserved for a different type of sale.

and as I said in my first post...I didnt get a chance to take a good look at it at first and I mentioned I would let everyone know what I found.

I was working at the time and the box showed up and I poped the lid real quick to make sure the parts were there and I waited until later in the day when I was not as busy to pull it out of the box and give it a full combing over.

Dude, i hope it works out for u i got boned by moparcrazy on an intake and we all know how that thread went good luck he never did make good everyone take note:: Don't deal with him

Dude, i hope it works out for u i got boned by moparcrazy on an intake and we all know how that thread went good luck he never did make good everyone take note:: Don't deal with him

I hear ya buddy...I seen that thread when it happened and I tried to have your back on the hole thing because I have dealt with you before andhad nothing bad to say....but the mods had different plans in store lol.

either way I am glad you are back!!!

QUICK UPDATE.....he emailed me and said that all he did was unbolt it from the car and put it in a box to ship to me and that he never opened the lid to see the inside.

but by the sounds of it he is willing to refund my money...I am just waiting on another email to work out the details.

He seems like the type of guy that if he would have opened the cap and seen what was inside he probably would have mentioned it or would have not sold it to begin with....and he probably did not inspect it well enough to see just how rusty the bolts were.

I think he was under the impression that since it was on a running driving car that it would still be good but unfortunatly it is not.

SO as soon as I get an email back from him or I see an email showing the money has been refunded I will let everyone know....and I will go ahead and get the booster shipped back off to him and he can do with it as he pleases

It appears that he is going to be a stand up guy. He just fell short on the inspection side of the part. It happens and it allways sucks the worst when it happens to you.

LOL @ me, once I mailed a guy 2 U-bolts, not the 4 he needed. OMG! I was absoultely beside myself, I couldn't beileve what I did. Actually, I could in retospect being distracted with very important family stuff, but LOL OMG! When I got the E-mail from him. I was like No flippin way!

I went out to the garage and seen exactly where I left the other 2 U-bolts! Needless to say, my eyes hurt from praticaly popping outta my head!

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back