I thought Schumachers were bolt in and go?

-

LovetheA's

Reaction score
Well I'm doing a lot of work on my 67 GTS and I'm at a point where I'm was putting in my drivers side Schumacher Tri-y to test fit. In what alternate universe does the Schumachers bolt right in a 383 4 speed 67 Dart? I realize that Schumacher says that the header needs to be modified to work in a 4 speed. That was done by accurate exhaust. They weld in about 2 inches of pipe right before the end of the collector. I mean my rusted TTI's I took out fit much better than this even with the z bar clearance trouble. It doesn't look like there is any way to make this work with the torsion bar and clutch fork in the way. By the way the headers are black because they were ceramic coated by Jet Hot. I'm open to any suggestions? What to do?

IMG_1772.JPG

IMG_1773.JPG

IMG_1775.JPG

Not sure what to tell you there, but whoever welded that extension section and flange piece back on was no pro welder. Did you get those headers direct from Schumacher?

Not sure what to tell you there, but whoever welded that extension section and flange piece back on was no pro welder. Did you get those headers direct from Schumacher?
Accurate exhaust is coordinating with Schumacher to do the the 4 speed modification. I might need to contact Schumacher and Accuate exhaust to find out what the hell happened? I may have to just get my old TTI's jet hot coated and re-install. I'm very frustrated.

Carl

Here is a pic of the modification I did at home. They fit really nice, not sure why Schumacher doesn't make a universal auto/4-speed header. sorry, first pic is the header before it was modified. Rod

100_6083.JPG

header 2.jpg

I swapped a 383 4 speed in a 70 duster and used all the stuff u have and made only modifications to the z-bar,and it works great.

I don't have easy access to the car or I'd get some pix.

I swapped a 383 4 speed in a 70 duster and used all the stuff u have and made only modifications to the z-bar,and it works great.

I don't have easy access to the car or I'd get some pix.
I don't understand why anyone would replace tti's. They fit and most others don't.

I don't understand why anyone would replace tti's. They fit and most others don't.
Well I'm a little upset to say the least. I spent $400.00 on used Schumachers then got them Jet hot coated for more money and they don't even come close to fitting. Looks like I'll have to get my TTI's coated again and put back on. I took them off to put the Schumachers on because I though they would fit better and not interfere with the z bar like the TTI's even with the modified Z bar. Also my TTI's are about 10 years old and could use a new ceramic coating put on. What would you guys do about the Schumachers call the company and show them and maybe talk to Accurate exhaust about their modification. I will say if you look at rklein's modification to fit it does look a lot like the area that was added and welded to my Schumachers? I just am at a loss and aggravated.

Carl

You might try to fit it with the torsion bar slid back.
Another thing you might look at is positioning of the engine. Too high on the driver side? Maybe shim it toward the passenger side?

I wasn't impressed with the Schumacher headers either...factory exhaust manafolds would be as good and look way better.

tti is the only way to go for me tho.

I modified mine for my 383 4spd barracuda. They fit really nice I think.

header mods 005.JPG

header mods 002.JPG

header mods 001.JPG

header mods 003.JPG

header mods 004.JPG

header mods 006.JPG

header mods 007.JPG

header mods 008.JPG

Well I'm a little upset to say the least. I spent $400.00 on used Schumachers then got them Jet hot coated for more money and they don't even come close to fitting. Looks like I'll have to get my TTI's coated again and put back on. I took them off to put the Schumachers on because I though they would fit better and not interfere with the z bar like the TTI's even with the modified Z bar. Also my TTI's are about 10 years old and could use a new ceramic coating put on. What would you guys do about the Schumachers call the company and show them and maybe talk to Accurate exhaust about their modification. I will say if you look at rklein's modification to fit it does look a lot like the area that was added and welded to my Schumachers? I just am at a loss and aggravated.

Carl
So you never dealt with Shumacher or Accurate? Beginning to think you bought somebody's failed attempt. Just can't see Accurate using an inexperienced welder to perform that mod.

Last edited:
Those welds were done by a blind drunk. No way a professional shop did that.

Those welds were done by a blind drunk. No way a professional shop did that.
So basically what happened is the exhaust that was sold to me wasn't modified by accurate but instead an amateur job. If that is the case I think that the only way to fix this is to send it to accurate exhaust and have them do it correct but how would that happen with the high temp ceramic coating? Could they blast some of it off to make the fix and then I would have to recoat the header?

So basically what happened is the exhaust that was sold to me wasn't modified by accurate but instead an amateur job. If that is the case I think that the only way to fix this is to send it to accurate exhaust and have them do it correct but how would that happen with the high temp ceramic coating? Could they blast some of it off to make the fix and then I would have to recoat the header?

I am not familiar enough with those type coatings to know if they can do it in "spots" or not. I would like to think you can get by without re-coating the whole header, but I don't know for sure.

-
Back