I told him to check his u joints....

-

ragtopfury

Reaction score
My son's been chasing a whole truck vibration for the last 4 months. Suggested a u joint, but he said they were feeling good. We swapped his ground up rear diff on Saturday and he checked them again and said I think maybe the front one is starting to make noise.

Ya think?

21343.jpeg

Last edited:
I found out somewhere around 1967 that you can not check U joints without pulling the shaft OUT

My son's been chasing a whole truck vibration for the last 4 months. Suggested a u joint, but he said they were feeling good. We swapped his ground up rear diff on Saturday and he checked them again and said I think maybe the front one is starting to make noise.

Ya think?

View attachment 1716061760
Way past the squeak, squeak squeak!

Ya think?

So you greased that up and tossed it back in for another 100k miles right???

:lol:

Naw, it's got plenty of miles left.

As a dad, i can totally see your frustration
As a son, i can totally see his stubbornness in thinking he knows better then his old man

Ya think?

I couldn't figure out a nasty vibration at WOT only on my Roadmaster therefore drove gingerly.

Next up at stops temperature would rise.
Checking tank as no cap on rad and looking for leaks the obvious happened when put my hand on shroud and FAN.
Who knows when it totally failed and associated broken obsolete bracketry not available. Missed the rad by about 1,/4".
95 LT1 fan does not bolt to waterpump but separate BS assembly.
Also did not realize might as well plan on waterpump replacement when tuneup needed.

F'N GM

20220405_184701.jpg

20220405_184654.jpg

I found out somewhere around 1967 that you can not check U joints without pulling the shaft OUT
If they are bad enough you can, I've checked out a few U joints were the driveshaft cluck from side to side. But like your saying it's best to pull the driveshaft out and I always change both u joints at the same time.

Many times the joints will spin by hand and feel ok. Its not until you take them apart to find a situation like yours.

I couldn't figure out a nasty vibration at WOT only on my Roadmaster therefore drove gingerly.

Next up at stops temperature would rise.
Checking tank as no cap on rad and looking for leaks the obvious happened when put my hand on shroud and FAN.
Who knows when it totally failed and associated broken obsolete bracketry not available. Missed the rad by about 1,/4".
95 LT1 fan does not bolt to waterpump but separate BS assembly.
Also did not realize might as well plan on waterpump replacement when tuneup needed.

F'N GM
if you're gonna do a pump, might as well get after the opti-spark too...

the caprice was nice, but it was just one thing after another and all the parts available were either impossible to find, a million dollars or total dogshit.

if you're gonna do a pump, might as well get after the opti-spark too...

the caprice was nice, but it was just one thing after another and all the parts available were either impossible to find, a million dollars or total dogshit.
I dig the ride in Roadmaster, had to go electric fans due to broken brackets no available short of possibly junkyard.
10 4 on Opti-spark.
Not sure if you noticed fan through shroud in pic=ouch lol.

I dig the ride in Roadmaster, had to go electric fans due to broken brackets no available short of possibly junkyard.
10 4 on Opti-spark.
Not sure if you noticed fan through shroud in pic=ouch lol.
my buddy's roadmaster did the same thing and i wound up replacing the entire thing with a new alum. radiator and electric fan set up. good thing because when he wanted an LS in it that was one less thing to worry about.

roadmaster is a sweet ride. he's got all hotchkis underneath and it surprises a bunch of people on the highway.

my buddy's roadmaster did the same thing and i wound up replacing the entire thing with a new alum. radiator and electric fan set up. good thing because when he wanted an LS in it that was one less thing to worry about.

roadmaster is a sweet ride. he's got all hotchkis underneath and it surprises a bunch of people on the highway.
Awesome on a LS, I'll do that if engine ever needs replacing while I'm alive. It does get after it as is for a road trip car, Grapevine in 3rd works well and I like my experience so far with electric trans as opposed to 700R4 in my K5.

-
Back