I took the plunge! 65 Dart 270

-

62 Dart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've been lurking here for a few months, and finally decided to take the plunge and become an A body owner. Just picked up a 65 Dart 270 2 dr hardtop, slant 6, auto, P/S, & air!!!! It's in pretty good shape, but does have some issues. Engine has been rebuilt, trans good, pretty solid (only rust I saw was lower quarters), needs paint, a little body work, & to re-do the interior.

Pics tomorrow when I pick it up. Have to get a new camera, 1 is lost, the other 2 crapped out.

I'll have LOTS of questions, familar with early B bodies, A's are something new.

First question, Will Barracuda buckets (tracks, mounts, etc) work in my Dart?

Congrats on the A-body purchase! Looks like it will be in good company with your Dart. The seats out of a 64-66 Barracuda will work. If you are replacing a bench in the Dart, there are floor reinforcement plates that you should use so the floor doesn't crack. You can also use heavy guage fender washers.

Congrats! Your joining the bastard children of Mopars.....lol. You will find tons of support in this section......Happ Newyear!!! Pat

Good score! First year for factory-installed, integrated A/C as an option. Don't know how many Slant-6s you've owned; in case "none", Tune-up parts and technique suggestions in this thread and remember this engine will need valve adjustment from time to time.

My first car (about 30 years ago) was a 65 Valiant, /6, 3 speed. While in the Navy I had a 64 Fury 4 door with slant 6 & pushbutton auto. Somewhat familar with them, but that was a LONG time ago. AND, my 62 Dart has a slant, 3 speed manual.

The A/C is an add on Sears unit.

Thanks for the info on the seats. I thought they should work, but wasn't positive.

Welcome to the early A Body club! (Dodge Dart Division) LOL

Welcome from another Virginian and good score - I'm kind of partial to the early A's myself as I have a 65 GT 'vert, 65 Dart wagon, 65 Barracuda and eventually to be parted out a 65 Signet 'vert (underneath cancer has got to it). Bucket seats from the 65 GT, Signet and Barracuda are pretty much a bolt-in after drilling the holes. I'm think 64 seats will also work. 66 seats will also work but are not as wide and have metal backs (I'm using a set from a 66 GT in my wagon) You definitely want to reinforce the floor as Commando66 mentioned. Got any pictures?

Pics will be posted tomorrow when I pick it up. Need to get another camera.

Be careful guys, this guy is a real FRUITCAKE! :cheers: Just kiddin' :toothy10: Congrats Bob, it's about time you got an early A! (Just so you know guys he has been eyeballin' early A's for a while, and he hauled my '66 Valiant from West VA for me... ) Happy New Year to you Bob, Don and the rest of my FABO brothers and sisters!

Oh and Bob, about the comment you made about kickin' my *** at the dragstrip when I get home, :thebirdm: :bootysha: :toothy10:

Be careful guys, this guy is a real FRUITCAKE! :cheers: Just kiddin' :toothy10: Congrats Bob, it's about time you got an early A! (Just so you know guys he has been eyeballin' early A's for a while, and he hauled my '66 Valiant from West VA for me... ) Happy New Year to you Bob, Don and the rest of my FABO brothers and sisters!

Oh and Bob, about the comment you made about kickin' my *** at the dragstrip when I get home, :thebirdm: :bootysha: :toothy10:

Bring it on, Buddy!!!! :bootysha: Back at you!!!!!:thebirdm::thebirdm:

The Dart will be going straight to Dana to fix a few issues with it. Lower rear quarter rust (not bad) and a few dents & dings.

Cool! :) Did you see Ed's 63 Valiant yet? It's done and looks KILLER! Tell Dana hey for me when you drop the Dart off. We are all waiting for some PICS!

Here are a couple pics of my treasure. A 1965 Dart 270. Needs quarter work. I bought the last lower rear quarters that were available from my supplier. Talk about luck!!!

Eat your heart out Rocky.

Attachments

• 65driver.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 250
  • 65front.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 244
  • 65passenger.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 241
  • 65rear2.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 235
Yee haw Bob:cheers:That is going to be one sweet little ride!8) Man I hope you have her going by the time I get home...

Hey, isn't that MY barn in the background? You know, I've heard it said possession is nine tenths of the law or something silly like that... So since the car is in my barn... :thebirdm: :toothy10::toothy10:

Yee haw Bob:cheers:That is going to be one sweet little ride!8) Man I hope you have her going by the time I get home...

Hey, isn't that MY barn in the background? You know, I've heard it said possession is nine tenths of the law or something silly like that... So since the car is in my barn... :thebirdm: :toothy10::toothy10:

That may be, but the other 1/10 carries a gun!!!!! LOL

This is my first car...a 65 Dart and I still have it and enjoy it 1320' at a time in the summer!

Attachments

• 65 Dart in fall of 08 #2.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 199
  • 65 rear side view summer 2008.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 200
  • Dart at CC classisc fall 2009 at Norwalk.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 195
Welcome to the island of misfit toys.....

There are a few of these parked in my service area of Long Beach, CA. Way more than Valiants. Were there more made than Valiants? Welcome to the "not off the shelf" Club, aka "Everyone knew someone who owned one of these back in the day" Fraternity.

HE IS NOW OF THE BODY

HE HAS BEEN ABSORBED:shock:

Welcome to the wacky world of being 1 1/2 inches narrower.

Very nice score.

Attachments

• Tommy.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 112
Back to your front bucket seat question...
Depending on your decision to restore to originallity or upgrade on essentials, you may want to consider using Sebring Convertible seats if you want the safety advantages of a shoulder/seat belt (computer controlled) built into the seat as well as head rest.

I found it a relatively easy install. Since the Driver's seat needs power as well as the computer controlled shoulder/seat belts, it's necessary to add fuses & relays. Floor reinforcement keeps the seats in place.

Functionally, the belts lock while decellerating hard or going down a steep grade. The belts unlock automatically when the doors are opened.

Appearance & comfort of the seats strikes me as improved over the stock seats. There are plenty of seat covers available if you don't like the leather(or it's condition/color). I had my seats recovered to get an interior coordinated color & pattern.

It's necessary to find a computer for 1999 & earlier since the belt computer is seperate on those models & is generally found mounted under the passenger seat (oriented correctly for operation).....

Pics posted. There is also a website that shows a detailed Corvair install.

So if you plan on a driver & want to reduce the chances of a windshield in your face, distorted steering wheel in your ribs, & whiplash....the Sebring seat may be for you.

My daughter's 65 270 Dart was purchased with the faceprint in the window & crushed steering wheel so we had a great visual of what can happen with lap belts. Her car had a small amount of right fender damage so it looked like it didn't take much of a hit to give the driver a "strong impression".

What year Barracuda seats do you have? I have a 68 Cuda in need of seats and set of early A seats I'd be willing to trade. They're in good shape and are even blue.

-
Back