I was hoping it would be better

-

crackedback

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
When I bought the Aspen R/T, it came with the numbers 360 engine. Owner said it had a knock, so they pulled it and built a 70 340 engine.

I was hoping it was something stupid making the knocking sound, like loose converter bolts, etc. Not so lucky!

Rod bearing shells from #1 and #2...

#1 was spun badly. #2 was spun but was disintegrated.

Time for a fresh crank, bearings and resizing some rods at a minimum.

Nice and crispy like french fries.
Re-con the rods while you are there, bet they are out of round.

Thph! Get new rods! Cheap as chit, stronger than what was there to start.

When I bought the Aspen R/T, it came with the numbers 360 engine. Owner said it had a knock, so they pulled it and built a 70 340 engine.

I was hoping it was something stupid making the knocking sound, like loose converter bolts, etc. Not so lucky!

Rod bearing shells from #1 and #2...
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/crackedback/media/78 Aspen RT/Aspen360rodbearing.jpg.html
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/crackedback/media/78 Aspen RT/Aspenrodbearing1.jpg.html

#1 was spun badly. #2 was spun but was disintegrated.

Time for a fresh crank, bearings and resizing some rods at a minimum.

I knew you were cool=but an Aspen RT? WAY COOL!
Wanna race you when it's built!

That always sucks. Looks just like what I pulled out of a 360 I had yrs. ago. 150 miles after I bought it, it spun a rod bearing. The guy I got the car from rebuilt the engine but never checked the rods. The best was only .002 out of round. The worst was .005 out of round

I knew you were cool=but an Aspen RT? WAY COOL!
Wanna race you when it's built!

Race with the Aspen... not likely. The 360 is going back in with a mild cam and the A/C reinstalled!

I love the car. It's a lot of fun to drive.

The crank has a lot of build up on it. Luckily I have a freshly ground crank in a box under the bench.

Nice! Who wants to race? I'm in!:burnout:

Attachments

• aspen side shot.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 399
Talk about a sleeper, damn!!

Is tbe motor out if the car or did you find this out from doing surgery with the motor in the car still?

I re read your post. It has a 340 in it now.....

Yes sir! ! A very nize ride crackedback.. Congrats on a very groovy ride and daily cool driver with plenty of hp. And handling

I like em both.. that white one looks badass too!

I had a 79 Volare Duster with a cop 318 in it.
Great driving car.
MoPar was building the car platform for the hotrodder to build off of, back in the late 70's.
The 360-2bbl was a good base to build from.
Still had the 727 & an 8 1/4 axle.
Just move the fuel tank over one notch & you could put true duel exhaust on it.
You could make a 12 second car real easy.
I think Car Craft did just that.

I almost bought a new Aspen R/T in '77.
A Black one like in brochere at the time.
Bought a 11 second '66 Belvedere with my down payment money instead.

I really liked the Super Coupes, but would take a 1980 Volare or Aspen base wagon.

Stuff happens... A nice daily driver, is just that. What you have ,is different & runs.

-
Back