I was on TV tonight!

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Ha, city council meeting on public access.....I took the podium to give my support to a permit parking amendment. F'n apartments across the street are spilling out to the neighborhood when there are 3-4 cars per unit and they have parking for 1.5/unit. I also called out a clown house on my street. But my neighbor beat me to its car population. He counted 13 cars that park on our street for that one house...that's excessive. I get it when your kids grow up and get cars, but fill up your garage/driveway first, then in front of YOUR house, not mine when your driveway is empty. Courtesy goes a long way.

13 cars at one house....LOL.....single family resident right...LOL..

The apartments may need to man up and adjust how many apts they have vs how much parking they have. In some cases total tear down and rebuild. Units staked 3 or 4 high and in tighter space to make room for parking structures. In some area you have to purchase parking spots in garages and pay a monthly fee. As families grow and all their kids need cars or several famielrs cram into a house it's going to get worse. The middle class is shrinking and working poor are growing. That means building apt nets is big business. They buy up an old house with a big lot and build apartments crammed in with no regard to adequate parking. Hope we don't end up like New York New York. Or DC.

In Anaheim near the stadium the have the high rise big complexes with parking structures with paid parking. You have to pay for each permit so it limits how many cars the families can afford to park......

Across from the main place mall adjacent to the Barnes and Noble the have a big complex called the Windsor at main place it has a large parking structure to cover all their residents and guests. The Windsor properties has places in San diego, and mostly back east. My sister lived at one when she was in Leesburg Virginia. Windsor buys huge plots of land and builds a lot of units in multiple buildings and has large amounts of parking so no one is spilling over into nearby home tracts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 319
Many of the old apartment complexes are old small units side by side other complexes all separately owned and are not up to date for larger families and more drivers as our public transportation is a joke here in Orange County. A large company needs to come thru and buy up all the small wasted space complexes and build updated better ones that include enough parking even if that means a structure. Also make it look nicer than the ones that are there now. Many of these small complexes were built when a home on a large land tract went up for sale. They'd buy one or two homes and take it all down and buld up a complex with one maybe 2 spaces per apartment at best.

When we lived in Anaheim, 3 of the houses across from us had multiple families living in them with an average of 7 cars/house. If people came to visit us, they had to park about half a block away.

It was about that time that a judge decided that it was discrimination against the poor to limit single family dwellings to a single family. IIRC, the ruling was no more than 11 people in a 1 bedroom apartment, and no more than 27 people in a 3 bedroom house. I kid you not.

All I could figure was the judge lived in a neighborhood where this didn't happen, so he was able to be magnanimous without infringing on his own rights.

Made me understand why Fullerton used to have a 'no parking on city streets from midnight to 6 a.m.' rule (may not have been city-wide, but was true in at least in some neighborhoods).

Kinda sounds like where I used to live. Apartment house across the "street" (it was more of an alley, designated a street so that the city would have to take care of it.) We had a narrow driveway on a narrow street with parking only on one side. The apartment folks insisted on parking on the street right in front of their apartments. It didn't block the driveway, per se, but it made it hard to get in and out of at times. In the meantime the apartment house had a driveway big enough to park about a dozen cars in and still be able to get in and out. The driveway was empty most of the time.

When I moved my Barracuda into my garage I had to time it to make sure the neighbors weren't clogging the street, otherwise the rollback would have never been able to back into my driveway. Kinda sucked to be everyone who lived there when I moved out. My trailer was sitting in their parking spots for two days as we loaded up to move.

When we lived in Anaheim, 3 of the houses across from us had multiple families living in them with an average of 7 cars/house. If people came to visit us, they had to park about half a block away.

It was about that time that a judge decided that it was discrimination against the poor to limit single family dwellings to a single family. IIRC, the ruling was no more than 11 people in a 1 bedroom apartment, and no more than 27 people in a 3 bedroom house. I kid you not.

Yet another reason I moved from there to AZ.
Cal can kiss my a**.

One other thing to remember about parking spaces. The city code sets the number of parking spaced required for each unit or so many sq.ft.of store. The builder/developer does not make money on parking spaces. They want more unit or space to sell/rent. Builders around her can go to the city and ask to have the city OK fewer spaces than code if they clam to have a good reason. For parking at retail stores the city will allow fewer spots because this means a bigger store which means more taxes going to the city. For housing units, almost any space of the street can be called a parking spot. Just another way the builders try to get around the law.

He counted 13 cars that park on our street for that one house...that's excessive. I get it when your kids grow up and get cars, but fill up your garage/driveway first, then in front of YOUR house, not mine when your driveway is empty. Courtesy goes a long way.

I'm thinking a single (multiple) family zoning violation?
Maybe call ICE?

I commend you for standing up and letting your concerns be known to the city and council. I watch our meetings every Monday night to keep up with the latest. tmm

In Portland, OR they built some high density apartments with NO parking spaces allotted. They assumed that since they are a "green city" everybody would naturally use mass transit to get around, NOT!:violent1:
People complained, so now they have put in parking meters all around the area to take care of the over crowded parking issue, and generate revenue for the city. The city views it as a WIN-WIN! :protest:

Not far from me is a house and a majority of the front yard is paved. 7 parking spots are painted on the concrete..... This is about a 1500 sq ft 3 bedroom home.

At least they aren't torn apart on wood blocks.

Not yet anyway. No but really, the town I lived in growing up, I couldn't have a car sitting in my backyard unless it had registration. If it was a project car you couldn't have it outside. If you had it in a garage, that was different. people don't like seeing old cars being worked on in their neighbors yards I guess.

-
Back