Iced tea?

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Decades ago I used to waste time with "sun tea." One day I realized it was trouble for "what you got" and the cheap source of pickle jar 1gal jars dried up, anyhow.

Now I just take a double height old Revere ware (don't know what it holds) fill it to 1" or so of the top and put it on the stove with 4 teabags. I'm slowly turning into a diabetic so I've cut way down on sugar but I still like "the taste" so in that "not quite a gallon" I add maybe a little over level teas. of brown sugar, then 15 drops of sweetner.

Gawd, last two-three days I've gone through about 5 pots of that stuff!!

iced tea is my go to. instant works fine when i'm at work but the oldest daughter got me one of these a few years ago.
works great
04243365_zi_stainless.jpg

Decades ago I used to waste time with "sun tea." One day I realized it was trouble for "what you got" and the cheap source of pickle jar 1gal jars dried up, anyhow.

Now I just take a double height old Revere ware (don't know what it holds) fill it to 1" or so of the top and put it on the stove with 4 teabags. I'm slowly turning into a diabetic so I've cut way down on sugar but I still like "the taste" so in that "not quite a gallon" I add maybe a little over level teas. of brown sugar, then 15 drops of sweetner.

Gawd, last two-three days I've gone through about 5 pots of that stuff!!

Find some Lakanto monk fruit sugar next time you're in the grocery store. It's a very healthy natural sugar alternative and actually lowers your blood sugar. It tastes just like sugar. Here's what it looks like.

Classic Monkfruit 1:1 Sugar Substitute

And yes, it's more expensive but much better for you. We've stopped using sugar altogether.

Also check out these ones.
Date Syrup
Coconut sugar
Like monk fruit, both lower blood sugar. I really like the date syrup, as it has a similar flavor to brown sugar / molasses

Summer is for sun tea. tea on the stove is a winter beverage.

I always loved sweet tea, but haven't had a drop since 2013. I had a hugemongous kidney stone, and the Doc told me tea can cause them! It is the tea itself that causes calcium oxalate, not the sugar. I miss it, but not enough to help make another stone! :realcrazy:

Thanks for the thoughts. I've drunk tea for a good part of my life.

I have drank (drunk?) over 2 gallons of water today. When I lived in AZ 3-4 gallons a day was normal. My dad...he used to love iced tea. He never, other then when he fell and broke his hip, said he wanted to go to the ER. One day he told my mom that he wanted to go o the ER. Was middle of the summer in Jersey...temperature and humidity were both in the 80's. He was just dehydrated. Few days later....he was back at the ER again...dehydrated. My mother called me up, a bit concerned. I asked if he was drinking enough fluids...she said he was drinking a gallon of iced tea a day....the kind you mix the powder in the water. He failed to tell anyone that he was putting almost 2 cups of sugar in with the mix and water. Third trip to the ER he ended up seeing the same doc he did the first 2 trips...my mother mentioned the sugar...lets just say my parents got a 20 minute lecture from the ER doc.....my dad started drinking just water afterwards....

I always loved sweet tea, but haven't had a drop since 2013. I had a hugemongous kidney stone, and the Doc told me tea can cause them! It is the tea itself that causes calcium oxalate, not the sugar. I miss it, but not enough to help make another stone! :realcrazy:

My urologist's exact quote was "drink Sprite. Tea is the devil". lol

My doc told me when your piss'n orange you best get to a water tap quick. lol
I should have known a diet of beer and coffee was bad.
Now I supplement the beer with water and sugarless pop and some iced tea with lemon slices

I've been trying to get off sugar for a year, and I'll tell you, that's a legit addiction.
I was using the artificial sweeteners until I read up on em. They break down into methanol in your body! No wonder my vision was getting screwy!

I've heard that the number of kidney stones rises astronomically in southern states, but never heard if that was conclusively due to the tea. That said, you haven't had sweet tea until you've been to the south! Y'all boil that water so it'll absorb more sugar!

Summer is for sun tea. tea on the stove is a winter beverage.
I can't tell the difference between Sun tea and Ice Tea made with hot water form a stove.

Thanks for the thoughts. I've drunk tea for a good part of my life.
Very good. It is drunk. Today I drink, Yesterday I drank, often I have drunk. Since you used have in the form of I've, drunk is correct. So anyone who disagrees is wrong.

^^LOL Yeah but I don't like "drinking drunk" in hot weather!!^^ I have enough trouble SOBER

I can't tell the difference between Sun tea and Ice Tea made with hot water form a stove...

I make 2 qts a day in the summer. Boil 6 cups of water, add 3 tea bags and a heaping 1/2 cup of raw sugar, steep till cool then fill with cold water. I fast till lunch and only drink water till then. After lunch I eat and drink what I want. I do my best not to eat or drink anything man made.

I make 2 qts a day in the summer. Boil 6 cups of water, add 3 tea bags and a heaping 1/2 cup of raw sugar, steep till cool then fill with cold water. I fast till lunch and only drink water till then. After lunch I eat and drink what I want. I do my best not to eat or drink anything man made.
Good luck with your diabetes in years to come

I’ve made or tried to make tea most of my adult life, unsweet. Never came out right and used every brand under the sun. Now I get three big cups from McDonalds $3. Wife and I know ALL the good places for tea in town. Can’t drink any sweet tea, maybe two sips if I’m hard up then on the ground. Coffe the same way, just can’t get the taste right (5 different makers) Sheetz was great till they went to the instant makers, horrible now. I think the secret is very large batches but not sure.

I'm telling you, that much sugar is not moderation LOL

I have to admit, I do have a sweet tooth. I didn't think 1/2+ cup of sugar in 2 1/4 quarts is that bad. I won't tell you what I put in a cup of hot tea in the evening. I guess I'm just lucky. On the other hand, I don't really care for a lot of sweet things and and I don't get some deserts so the won't be available.

I’ve made or tried to make tea most of my adult life, unsweet. Never came out right and used every brand under the sun. Now I get three big cups from McDonalds $3. Wife and I know ALL the good places for tea in town. Can’t drink any sweet tea, maybe two sips if I’m hard up then on the ground. Coffe the same way, just can’t get the taste right (5 different makers) Sheetz was great till they went to the instant makers, horrible now. I think the secret is very large batches but not sure.

Making iced tea starts with boiling about 4 to 6 cups of water. Pour in a pitcher, then add 3 tea bags, (I use Red Rose, but Stash or Lipton is nice also), let it set for an hour or more to steep, when it feels cool to the touch fill to about 1/2 gallon or 2 quarts. My wife said the same thing about Sheetz the last trip we made.

Making iced tea starts with boiling about 4 to 6 cups of water. Pour in a pitcher, then add 3 tea bags, (I use Red Rose, but Stash or Lipton is nice also), let it set for an hour or more to steep, when it feels cool to the touch fill to about 1/2 gallon or 2 quarts. My wife said the same thing about Sheetz the last trip we made.
I’ll try that, thanks

-
Back