Iced tea?

-
I've been trying to get off sugar for a year, and I'll tell you, that's a legit addiction.
I was using the artificial sweeteners until I read up on em. They break down into methanol in your body! No wonder my vision was getting screwy!

I've heard that the number of kidney stones rises astronomically in southern states, but never heard if that was conclusively due to the tea. That said, you haven't had sweet tea until you've been to the south! Y'all boil that water so it'll absorb more sugar!
Exactly right.....You haven't had sweet tea until you've been to the south!

I get these giant tea bags at BJ's. Each bag makes 1 gallon but you can dilute if you like. Good Tea.

View attachment 1715757336

Tea bags at BJ's, huh?

200.gif

I use five of these tea bags for a gallon of water. Brewed first then chilled. No caffeine and no sugar.
5E0FD81B-60FC-4818-9679-46ADE9CE6917.jpeg

I drank T from birth to 18. Mom (east Texas native) would make a 1/2 gallon ( whatever those thin Tupperware pitchers held) before every dinner. 3-4 t-bags in a little aluminum 40 year old 2 cup pot, bring it to a rolling boil and then dump it in the pitcher and add 1/2 cup sugar and top it off with tap water. Pour the now only warm T over 3 ice cubes in a tall glass and say grace. By the time you take the first sip it's cool enough. I don't drink T anymore, Just water. I can drink a 23 oz Arizona and pee 3 times. I drink 24 oz of water and not pee at all. Its a diuretic, you pee more than you retain.

During the summer I have to increase my sugar and salt intake, I sweat it all out.
If I didn't I'd be dead for sure
2 snicker bars and a bag of chips every day and plenty of water
I drink sugar free beverages

Find some Lakanto monk fruit sugar next time you're in the grocery store. It's a very healthy natural sugar alternative and actually lowers your blood sugar. It tastes just like sugar. Here's what it looks like.

Classic Monkfruit 1:1 Sugar Substitute

And yes, it's more expensive but much better for you. We've stopped using sugar altogether.
We made the switch 2 years ago. I used to by local honey from @68gtxman 's neighbor for my coffee. I miss honey!

I make 2 qts a day in the summer. Boil 6 cups of water, add 3 tea bags and a heaping 1/2 cup of raw sugar, steep till cool then fill with cold water. I fast till lunch and only drink water till then. After lunch I eat and drink what I want. I do my best not to eat or drink anything man made.
Please define Man Made. Is food cooked by man, man made? So is bread, ice cream, soda crackers, potato chips, etc man made? I am just curious. When people throw out terms I am not familiar with, I get curious.

I'm only 66. Everything is good. Everything in moderation. GOD diet. Believe me, at this age my body lets me know when I mess up, and I listen...
Also, please define a "God Diet". I have never heard that term. And I agree with @67Dart273 that that is a lot of sugar daily. You may just be lucky and never have a problem, but that is a lot of sugar.

Boil water on the stove top and just toss 2 or 3 tea bags in depending on brand and strength.
Usually include some peppermint leaves at the same time.
That's pretty much it.
Once in while put it out in a sunny spot but most of the time just make it in the evening.
If I want something sweet it's OJ and seltzer mixed 50/50 or something like that. Straight OJ is too sweet in the middle of day.
This Sunday to play in the parking lot I brought a thermos of ice tea, plus a cooler with 1 water bottle with ice cubes, cold water and lemon juice, another water bottle filled with ice cubes and OJ, and finally 1 reserve with just water and ice.

Last edited:
I make 2 qts a day in the summer. Boil 6 cups of water, add 3 tea bags and a heaping 1/2 cup of raw sugar, steep till cool then fill with cold water. I fast till lunch and only drink water till then. After lunch I eat and drink what I want. I do my best not to eat or drink anything man made.
I do the same, except I use a smaller amount of powdered sugar. My A1C was 4.8 my last blood draw. I stay away from soft drinks, diet or otherwise. I'm 63.

I've read that sun tea doesn't get hot enough to kill any pathogens that might be on the tea from most teas. I always bring the water to a boil to kill these, especially with "boutique" tea's. Just something to consider. BTW, it hit 107F in Seattle today, my wife and family drank over a gallon of iced tea today. To all of you in God's magnifying glass, please drink plenty of fluids. It has NEVER been this hot in recorded history in this part of the country. Not to be your Mom, but drink plenty of fluids, alcohol is not your friend at these heat levels. Drink some sweet tea, and pass on the beer. Lecture from an old man over.

If you can't find gallon pickle jars you ain't lookin!
Bottom shelf in the pickle aisle. I love a good Kosher dill. And mix vodka with the brine. I likes me some pickle shots.
Real sugar is bad for you but artificial sweeteners are even worse. The body can't process them.
I know what sweet tea is. My daughter in law is from Alabama and I'm fixin to be there in two weeks.
I don't drink it. She sets some unsweetened aside for me.

Please define Man Made. Is food cooked by man, man made? So is bread, ice cream, soda crackers, potato chips, etc man made? I am just curious. When people throw out terms I am not familiar with, I get curious...

I shun "man made" ingredients such as margarine, high fructose corn syrup, tofu, chemicals, GMO grains, feed lot beef, pond raised fish, any chemical concoction to simulate real food, that sort of thing. Diet is not a one formula that will work for us all, we are all different and you have to figure out what works for you. The food industry is always calculating how to sell more. As I understand it they have even figured out how to bypass the bodies triggers to let us know when we are satisfied. There are foods I can eat all day long and never get satisfied, to the point of feeling uncomfortable. I also shun those. I hope I will always be able to eat good bread, real ice cream, potato chips, and Nabisco saltine crackers.

... Also, please define a "God Diet". I have never heard that term. And I agree with @67Dart273 that that is a lot of sugar daily. You may just be lucky and never have a problem, but that is a lot of sugar.

It is simply, if GOD made it, it's in my diet. If man made it, I do my best to avoid it. I have also been lucky enough to hunt and fish. I actually only use about 1/2 the pitcher of sweet tea a day.

I shun "man made" ingredients such as margarine, high fructose corn syrup, tofu, chemicals, GMO grains, feed lot beef, pond raised fish, any chemical concoction to simulate real food, that sort of thing. Diet is not a one formula that will work for us all, we are all different and you have to figure out what works for you. The food industry is always calculating how to sell more. As I understand it they have even figured out how to bypass the bodies triggers to let us know when we are satisfied. There are foods I can eat all day long and never get satisfied, to the point of feeling uncomfortable. I also shun those. I hope I will always be able to eat good bread, real ice cream, potato chips, and Nabisco saltine crackers.

It is simply, if GOD made it, it's in my diet. If man made it, I do my best to avoid it. I have also been lucky enough to hunt and fish. I actually only use about 1/2 the pitcher of sweet tea a day.

Thanks for the clarification. I pretty much agree. We switched to real butter years ago. I am probably not as careful as you, but I am a label reader. If you want to read an EYE OPENING label, go to the potato chip aisle and read the label for the Frito Lay onion dip in the jar. It is usually right beside Frito Lay bean dip. The label reads like notes from a chemistry class. I wish you great health.

if it ant iced and sweet it ant tea! had a waitress in cascade idaho tell me thay had an invention called a spoon and i could add all the sugar i wanted,..snapped right back, ... yeah well wheres i come from we got nuff since to know sugar dont melt in iced tea....could lit a cigarette offt her forehead, sware it was flo from mels older sister!

if it ant iced and sweet it ant tea! had a waitress in cascade idaho tell me thay had an invention called a spoon and i could add all the sugar i wanted,..snapped right back, ... yeah well wheres i come from we got nuff since to know sugar dont melt in iced tea....could lit a cigarette offt her forehead, sware it was flo from mels older sister!
That's why we use powdered sugar in the deep south. If you think you don't have any, put a cup of granulated sugar in your dry blender, and let her fly for 60 seconds. Now you have plenty of powdered sugar for your table top sugar bowl. As my Gramma said, watch out for the sugar ants!

... If you want to read an EYE OPENING label, go to the potato chip aisle and read the label for the Frito Lay onion dip in the jar. It is usually right beside Frito Lay bean dip. The label reads like notes from a chemistry class. I wish you great health.

That's what I'm talking about. Sadly, some things are more devious like GMO grains, beef from a feedlot, and high fructose corn syrup. Those sound OK, but... We were lucky enough to live near an Amish market, north of Baltimore, and after buying that "natural" food we were spoiled. The taste of everything from the beef, bacon, chickens, fruits and vegetables made other foods taste bland. That, and some books and conversations, really opened my eyes and taste buds.

That's what I'm talking about. Sadly, some things are more devious like GMO grains, beef from a feedlot, and high fructose corn syrup. Those sound OK, but... We were lucky enough to live near an Amish market, north of Baltimore, and after buying that "natural" food we were spoiled. The taste of everything from the beef, bacon, chickens, fruits and vegetables made other foods taste bland. That, and some books and conversations, really opened my eyes and taste buds.
The sneaky people in charge now call GMO frankenfoods "bioengineered." Sound so good, doesnt it?

When traveling north, about the only sweet tea I can drink is Chick-fil-a or Gold Peak. Dr Pepper will work in a pihch with ice, but not as smooth or thirst quenching. I don't even try to get sweet tea at a northern restaurant any more. I leave home with a Yeti full of sweet tea and when that is gone, I can't wait to get back south again.

-
Back