Idiot light modification ?

-

6pakattack

Reaction score
Somewhere in all these posts, someone eliminated the idiot light, and put in an electric Oil Pressure gauge. I've typed in everything I could think of, and can't find it ! Could someone steer me in the right direction for this Mod, I'd like to see about doing it to my dash !

I hope you find it. I've seen a 67--69 Dart with an oil gauge at a car show, and could NOT find the owner!!! lol

I've done it. you have to cut the IP to fit a gauge in, use the same wire that worked the idiot light. then change the oil light switch to a sensor on the block. the premise is simple, but will test your skills at mounting a gauge in the dash.

How it is done varies with the different panels too. What someone else did might not be possible in yours.

Get the best of both worlds. Keep the light and install an aftermarket gauge in a pod mounted under the dash. You will need to add a simple "T" fitting to the oil port where the light switch is plumbed now.

In the long run, that light will get your attention on the open road quicker than you would notice a drop at the gauge. While you are at it, add a temperature gauge and some other gauge using a 3-guage panel.

Get the best of both worlds. Keep the light and install an aftermarket gauge in a pod mounted under the dash. You will need to add a simple "T" fitting to the oil port where the light switch is plumbed now.

In the long run, that light will get your attention on the open road quicker than you would notice a drop at the gauge. While you are at it, add a temperature gauge and some other gauge using a 3-guage panel.

I went one step farther with one of my cars and added a buzzer to the idiot light circuit for the oil pressure, temp and alt with a small rocker switch for each buzzer in case you didn't want to hear it.
So I had the light, a gauge and audio warning for each.
I hate those under dash gauge face panel thingies so I incorporated some extra gauges up on the dash and three aftermarket gauges in the original gauge holes in the cluster panel.
Oh, plus took that clock apart and did it to match my other gauges.

Attachments

• dashsmall.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 194
  • dash2small.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 205

I completely agree. Back when I was a kid I unhooked the idiot light from my 70 Chevelle and put a gauge under the dash. One Saturday night we we're cruising and some time it lost oil pressure. With the gauge out of eye's range I never noticed it until the engine was knocking hard. Learned my lesson then to keep the idiot light working and add a gauge if I wanted to know the oil pressure.

I've thought about the buzzer idea TB mentioned. Sounds like another good idea

I do think most people should ditch Oil gauge and just use the light. We tend to give too much worry about "I ONLY have xxxx oil pressure at xxxx" Mopar made that light come on at below 3psi. So IMO 10psi is plenty at idel warm. But I would be concerned if one of my Mopare ONLY had 10 psi! LOL I am one of them.

I completely agree. Back when I was a kid I unhooked the idiot light from my 70 Chevelle and put a gauge under the dash. One Saturday night we we're cruising and some time it lost oil pressure. With the gauge out of eye's range I never noticed it until the engine was knocking hard. Learned my lesson then to keep the idiot light working and add a gauge if I wanted to know the oil pressure.

I've thought about the buzzer idea TB mentioned. Sounds like another good idea

I have taken a few liberty's with the electrical and lighting in my car.
For example, when I swapped my overhead interior light to LED's I rewired the door switches through the map light switch instead of the headlight (twist switch) and added a small rocker switch to the back of the overhead fixture. (facing the back seat)
It gives the passengers control over the overhead light if they want it, but I have the final say so with the map light switch.
Also, you can turn off the rocker switch on the back of the overhead light so the interior lights don't come on at all when you open the doors. (if I ever have a use for that) :D

If I ever sell this car I'm going to have to write up a secondary uses manual for how things work and what they do.
Like the line lock circuit, since I have a line lock as well as brake lights when the lock is active, but without a switch in the front line to activate them. (my own little design)
The line lock electrical also powers the brake lights, but a diode in that wire keeps it from activating the line lock when the brake light switch activates.
Simple as hell, and works perfectly.

This is the image I use for advertising that product.
Now if I could just get all the line lock sellers to include this with their locks I'd be golden. :D

Attachments

• baseimage.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 185
Damn trailbeast you might be a genius! Do you have a build thread for this car?

No build thread.
No genius either, just lots of years to draw on and a little knowledge of what's out there and what it does. :D

I went from 25 years of pro certified mechanics and transmission related stuff into the computer service and repair business 20 years ago and I think the line between the two is blurring a bit. :D

As I got older it seemed like a good idea to make a living from things that require less physical stress and abuse.
Doing what I do with my car is a total hobby.
Like wireless touch screen internet and wireless music transfer from my office to a 40+ year old car.
Remote power door locks and stuff like that.

Have oil light / gauge set also. But since I road course the car, installed oil light switch set at 30 psi, in case in cornering the oil sloshes side way's and pickup starts to go dry, light will tell me in the corner that oil pres is starting to drop. Yes have baffles in pan, but was self done. only problem is light is on constantly idling at stop light

Have oil light / gauge set also. But since I road course the car, installed oil light switch set at 30 psi, in case in cornering the oil sloshes side way's and pickup starts to go dry, light will tell me in the corner that oil pres is starting to drop. Yes have baffles in pan, but was self done. only problem is light is on constantly idling at stop light

That's not too bad of a side effect for what it does for you at all.
You could just change it to 20 easy enough, and it wouldn't make a ton of difference.

i monitored and operated exotic electrical systems for a living.
you may miss the low oil reading but you will not miss the red light.

i monitored and operated exotic electrical systems for a living.
you may miss the low oil reading but you will not miss the red light.

Exactly, in a corner, looking for the apex your head is outside and the light acts a warning to lesson the cornering G so your engine won't starve. A 30 psi warning works much better than a 0-5 psi warning, by then it would be to late.

-
Back