if this was yours, what would you do?

-

justin hughes

Miss my car
Reaction score
so, i have a pretty straight 65 dart 270 project with some rust and interior issues. its a 273 v8 automatic car the interior is blue.motor is locked up , but i think i can free it. cars been sitting at least 10 years. just wanted to get some ideas of how you guys would build this. would you make it stock with very minor upgrades? original white color or a custom color(s)? leave the bench seat? would you go for a sleeper leaving all the upgrades to the drivetrain but keeping the original look on the exterior? gt clone? or all out hot rod with tubbing, roll cage, custom interior? if you had it what would you want to do with it? i have all winter to think about this !

Attachments

• 3m23o93ld5T35X15R5aakb1d094ed56291874.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 364
  • 3kd3p13o45Y65Z45W2aak985a36b960f41dca.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 368
  • 3m43pb3l85T45U65P1aak1a5981dcd9dd184f.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 361
I would go to one extreme or the other:
Stone stock appearance, stock interior, with either mild upgrades, or a hot combo that looks stock for sleeper.
or
Tubbed, pro street, mini-tubbed with dual 4 bbl carbs sticking through the hood, lots of cam, thumping through 3" exhaust.

All out tubbed street brawler with a killer small block since you already have the K member, or possibly an old style hemi for the cool factor.

Have seen a couple with the older hemi's that just really stand out in the crowd.

Those cars always look awesome with the pro-street look.

I'm voting for the stock look except for when you view those wide tires from behind and hear that 408 dressed as a commando 273.

Here's a few ideas toolman

Attachments

• 1965%2BDart%2B004.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 381
  • _YOK8193_copy[2].jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 363
  • 37481_117091688337890_100001111775214_103419_2951472_n.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 334
  • pro street 65 #2.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 333
kind of rat rod it strip the interior out and put some diff buckets some plain steel wheels flat gray or flat black primer colored paint and put a bad *** small block or big block in it and make it a mean street racer

hmmm, now the wheels are turning.

That above link has alot of early hemi info.

Hard part is finding one and the parts to go with it, but I've seen a couple of those darts with the early hemi's and they are definitely cool, but it depends on how much of the the pain in the *** factor you want to deal with.

Much easier to go with a hot small block package with all the fixin's of a street brawler.

Much easier to go aftermarket parts from summit or jegs for the build than to locate NOS or stock parts to restore or have been restored for big bucks.

I'd strip it down, tub it, cage it, put racing seats in it, build a custom gauge panel and a killer small block, disk brakes all around, EZ wiring kit, aftermarket gauges.
Don't know your budget, but if you are anything like me, "not rich", it may take 10 years to complete as time/money allow.

im not taking budget or hard to find parts into consideration as being a factor, just ideas that i can dream about if i hit the lottery. this will be long term as i have 4 small kids and make a janitors salary. i will worry about the money at a later time when reality sets in.

im not taking budget or hard to find parts into consideration as being a factor, just ideas that i can dream about if i hit the lottery. this will be long term as i have 4 small kids and make a janitors salary. i will worry about the money at a later time when reality sets in.

Oh, in that case, go with a alcohol burning 528 supercharged, hemi, 4 link, alter-Ktion front end, Mercedes AMG brakes, acid dipped body, boyd coddington wheels, dana rear, custom leather interior, etc.

Oh, in that case, go with a alcohol burning 528 supercharged, hemi, 4 link, alter-Ktion front end, Mercedes AMG brakes, acid dipped body, boyd coddington wheels, dana rear, custom leather interior, etc.
nah, even with a million bucks i wouldnt do that, i could never bring myself to burn alcohol when i should be drinking it!

Go Pro Touring, Fast and can stop and turn corners.....

Attachments

• ARTBlacksilver.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 324
Where's that link to the guy's copy of the Outlaw Jr? He put a late model hemi in a 64 Barracuda with hardly any trouble at all.

Get it running and drive it. Regardless of the power or shape. Make it safe, operational, and wash it.
My Neon is down at the moment and I'm driving my '65 daily... Pretty fun even with the slant 6...lol.

If I had it I would put old school slots on it, a mild 360, paint it a medium blue & run 12.30's at the track all day long.
That is what my friends car did back in the late 80's early 90's--- 1965 dart
The Wichita track announcer even called it out "asking when was the last time you had seen a 65 dart"
Had a lot of un with the car--- sure pissed off a lot of big block cars.
Lawrence

I'd build an altered wheelbase A/FX or Gasser style car...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2TNNWk__zM&feature=related"]YouTube - Dale's New Altered wheelbase Dart[/ame]

I think I'd start by laying a concrete slab and erecting a lean-to shed roof to keep it out of the elements.

Put a wicked *** slant in it with some nitrous, a Richmond five speed overdrive and 4.30 gears and go spank some V8 ***.

-
Back