ignition assistance

-

canadian duster

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the process of purchasing all the pieces to build my 671 blown 360. Inital plan is to run 4 psi boost on stock bottom end with a performer rpm cam. I currently have a stock 75 mopar electronic ignition with no means to re time the dist. (Currently at 35 total, from what im hearing i should limit this to 28) I'm looking for advice on what to go with. I've heard good reviews on the msd e curve, The price is a bit steep (canadian exchange rate kills) or to go with a styler that i can adust the springs to limit totalk advance. Anybody have some ideas ? Thanks

Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the process of purchasing all the pieces to build my 671 blown 360. Inital plan is to run 4 psi boost on stock bottom end with a performer rpm cam. I currently have a stock 75 mopar electronic ignition with no means to re time the dist. (Currently at 35 total, from what im hearing i should limit this to 28) I'm looking for advice on what to go with. I've heard good reviews on the msd e curve, The price is a bit steep (canadian exchange rate kills) or to go with a styler that i can adust the springs to limit totalk advance. Anybody have some ideas ? Thanks

If you are not going to be using an EFI system with built in timing retard functions you might be best off to look at that E curve a bit closer.
You are going to need those capabilities with boost, and the E curve along with a good coil should set you up pretty well.

Just an opinion.

If you are not going to be using an EFI system with built in timing retard functions you might be best off to look at that E curve a bit closer.
You are going to need those capabilities with boost, and the E curve along with a good coil should set you up pretty well.

Just an opinion.

Greg, that's a good one. The first thing I see with added cylinder pressure,( usually nitrous,mild hits..) ,Is people installing boost/nitrous systems, without upgrading a pointless version of Kettering's system. Upgrade of ignition on a hot rod build: first thing I do..( considered quality of pee water gasoline, & added cylinder pressure) .For love of Money/God /Hookers.., Coil on plug is commonplace anymore, have to adapt eventually...

Hi everyone,
I currently have a stock 75 mopar electronic ignition with no means to re time the dist. (Currently at 35 total, from what im hearing i should limit this to 28)

This reads sorta like your current dizzy has no working mechanical advance and that the thus-locked dizzy has been dropped in and adjusted to 35*

Just read: Project in action...Coyote Jack's your guy...He's in the North, just built a Roote setup... Check out the buildup thread,or contact him via P.M....

Don't overthink the timing issues when dropping a 6-71 on a small mopar. There is no need for vacuum advance. Here's what I am running. I have a 8534 MSD dizzy locked down so there is no mechanical advance, a Blaster 2 coil and a 6AL box. This supplies lots of spark. I have it timed at 30 degrees of advance. I don't take anything out when boost starts to come in. You might want to start at 28 degrees of advance and sneak up on it after that to get the optimum for your setup. Just remember that spark knock is your enemy and will kill your pistons very fast with a blower. That's why you start conservative and sneak up on it. I went up 2 degrees at a time and when I started to hear spark knock I backed the timing off 2 degrees. I am at 4 degrees lower right now as I try other stuff. This is always an experiment with me. LOL

By the way, you are really going to have to under drive that 6-71 to get 4 lbs of boost. At one tooth under drive I am at 6 lbs in my 340.

Now my disclaimer. This is what is working for me, every blown engine is a little different and what works good for me may not work good on another engine. But it can be a good guide or starting point.

Jack

-
Back