Ignition Help!

-

dickey_440

Reaction score
The car has been running fine. No starting problems whatsoever. I drove the car to the body shop the other day and when i tried to start it up and leave nothing. The starter wasnt trying to spin, no clicking, no noise at all. I checked all my connections and the battery. I used a screw driver on the relay and it starter right up, so i assume it isnt the starter. I replaced the starter realy and that didn't work. I checked the red wire on the starter relay that goes to a fusible link, and it was burnt. Replaced it and still nothing. My next step is the ignition switch, but i am hoping it's somehting else. Any ideas? Also all the lights on the car stopped working when it stopped turning over. Is there an inline fuse somewhere that might be burnt?

Did you try it in neutral, assuming its automatic. Or give it a little extrabump into park.

There is a inline fusible link at the firewall with a service disconnect. It would kill everything including the lights.

I removed the connection from the red to the fusible link and it was burnt, but the wires looked ok. I replaced the connection and still nothing. Is there an inline fuse that i am missing?

You said it started when you jumped the relay, but did you try it in neutral. Sorry I didnt see the part about the lights not working.

yah know come to think of it my 64 did thatbefore i put it awaylast fall its packed in the garage and snowed in i never did monkey with it thought that was strange but it fire and i put it away let me now what you find out hopen to get mine out by spring if it ever stopps snowing here strat building my other 1 next week 360 going 4.030 i guess wanted a 408 but life thru a curve again early a headers wanted for 65 barracuda

That power goes through the bulkhead connection and through the ALT' gauge / amp gauge. There should be a wleded splice of branches in the wire , one to the ign' switch, one or 2 to the fuse box, and one to the headlight switch. So if none of those branches are hot, ( no horn, no lights, no ignition switched power ) we know the fault is at or before that branch.

Ok i think i found what you are talking about. I traced the red wire coming through the bulkhead where it went into a wire harness. The harness and connection was burnt where the red went in, so i am assuming that is my problem. I am not a wiring guy so can you help me out with the next step. Am i going to need a new harness or is it possible to fix the one wire?

You can fix the one wire had to do the same on my duster I cut it cleaned out the hole then added a new connector to both sides haven't had a problem since

Common problem with many, many posts. Search "Mad Bypass" as a start. Don't ever ask for help without telling us what car and engine you have. Photos help too.

Thanks for all the advice. The lights and ignition problems were separate issues. I tracked down a loose connection and got the lights working. I am pretty sure my ignition switch is bad so for now I bipassed the relay and put in a toggle switch.

-
Back