Ignition Switch problem

-

Manny Valencia

Reaction score
Hello All,

I recently had a new ignition starter switch installed which was functional after figuring out a separate reason why my 318 wasn't getting spark.

I messed around with some stuff under the dash where all the wiring was at and I am not sure if I knock something loose, but now my engine won't start!

All it does is crank without sounding like it wants to start and even more weird it cranks at the ON position, before actually turning the key all the way.

There was a point last where when I turned the key back, the engine sounded like it finally got spark for a brief moment and sounded like it wanted to start.

I tried this several times where right after ON and Before turning the key all the way that is when the engine would briefly sounded like it wanted to start.

I was told as I pull back, it sends a little voltage down the ignition wire.

Anyone have any ideas?

I tried to mess with the wiring myself and I notice a few things:

After cranking the capacitor (silver round thing) was hot.

The ignition cylinder has 2 pink cables that weren't plugged in, I am not sure what they are for?

There was an odd splice type thing going on with the yellow wire and dark blue wire, anyone have any ideas why that might be?

Here is a wiring diagram
http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1972/72DartB.JPG

20170719_181311.jpg

20170719_181333.jpg

20170719_181339.jpg

20170721_190400.jpg

20170721_192722.jpg

20170721_193157.jpg

72DartB.JPG

I guess you have a 72?

The wiring diagram you posted is "ok" but they often leave out some details and options and are poor at indexing the connectors

Go back to the same website and download the 72 factory service manual "which came from here" and it will have more complete diagrams

It is not unheard of.......regardless of wiring hacks.......for the "stuff" inside the ignition switch to waltz around inside and give "interesting" results

AbodyJoe did a great pictorial here on getting the wheel/ switch/ column apart

How To Install an Ignition Switch in 1970 Dodge Dart

The first thing I would do is clean up that butchered mess, one way or the other.
Round silver thingy you refer to is probably the hazard lamp flasher module.
The yellow wire from ign' switch does nothing more than send a start signal to the starter relay and only when ign' switch is in start position. For the life of me I don't know why anyone would cut/splice anything into that wire.
The aftermarkets replacement ign' switches often have extra wires and wires in the wrong positions. All we can do is match the colors, yellow to yellow, blue to blue, brown to brown, etc... The larger gauge black is to larger gauge black leaving a extra smaller gauge black from the switch unused in most A-body models.

Last edited:
-
Back